liver flukes

The place to start if you are new!
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

liver flukes

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Anyone have experience with liver flukes? How do I troubleshoot them?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: liver flukes

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:00 pm

Flukes are invertebrate parasites that are members of a group called "flatworms". Tapeworms belong to the same group. In contrast most intestinal parasites are round worms. To treat flukes, you must use a parasiticide that specifically targets flukes - in this case liver flukes. For example, if you use Ivomec Injectable- you must use Ivomec Plus.

When shopping for a parasiticide, be sure to read the manufacturer's brochure to determine if it is effective in targeting liver flukes.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:09 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:Anyone have experience with liver flukes? How do I troubleshoot them?

Yep I have in this environment one symptom looks like swollen jaw.

https://www.beefmagazine.com/health/liv ... -26-states
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:15 pm

You are in Oklahoma. The distribution map does not show liver flukes in that region. They are in some parts of Texas. They look to be primarily west coast in distribution.

Which raises the question - Why are you concerned about cattle liver flukes? Lucky has stated numerous times that they do not occur here. They are more prone to wet environments.
0 x
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Bright Raven wrote:You are in Oklahoma. The distribution map does not show liver flukes in that region. They are in some parts of Texas. They look to be primarily west coast in distribution.

Which raises the question - Why are you concerned about cattle liver flukes? Lucky has stated numerous times that they do not occur here. They are more prone to wet environments.

Might want to read the link on expansion to 26 states.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:You are in Oklahoma. The distribution map does not show liver flukes in that region. They are in some parts of Texas. They look to be primarily west coast in distribution.

Might want to read the link on expansion to 26 states.

Read it. Thanks. That was interesting. But still says they are not prone to arid environments.
0 x
Diogenes.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:20 pm

We get cattle shipped all around. CB lives down by the swamps. But they buy cattle down there are haul them to Kansas. It can be a real mess. One of my neighbors at the farm was always wheeling and dealing. He'd put together groups all the time. I had to stay on top of my inoculations.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:22 pm

Flukes require an intermediate host - a snail to complete their life cycle. Snails are not suited for an arid environment. That is the factor controlling their distribution.
1 x
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:29 pm

Lucky has stated numerous times: in all his necropsies, he has yet to see a liver fluke in a cow. Or at least maybe only one or two cases.
1 x
Diogenes.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:17 am

When treating for liver fluke make sure what you are using is effective against the early immature stages as well as the adults. An oral drench containing triclabendazole is the most effective. Most of the injections will only do the adults leaving the immature fluke to come through and you are back to where you started.

Ken
0 x

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Turkeybird » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:31 am

I had a group of cattle years ago that started looking horrible ,I wormed with injectable , pour on, and oral, with no success(fed them well too). I took fecal and blood samples, fearing it may be jhonnes disease and the results came back (low albium levels ). All the vets I talked too said flukes were not a possibility in my area and it had to be something else,yet I do graze near swamps. I went to tractor supply that day, bought a bottle of ivomec plus and never looked back, the cattle returned to normal looking fat girls and we all lived happily ever after
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:51 am

RanchMan90

This is a distribution map of the occurrence of Fasciola hepatica, the cattle liver fluke in the US. The publication is a few years old and this species appears to be expanding.

You will notice Oklahoma has a population along the border with Texas. I suspect that might be a riverine environment.

Edited to add: the map shows endemic distribution. Infected cattle that are relocated to other areas could and probably do spread the disease but for it to continue in those new areas the species of snail that acts as the intermediary hist, would have to be in those areas for the life cycle to continue.

Take fecal/blood antibody samples, then use a parasiticide that includes the proper formula to kill flukes.
0 x
Diogenes.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:12 am

RanchMan90 wrote:Anyone have experience with liver flukes? How do I troubleshoot them?

Seems to be some fluky cattle everywhere. Deer usually get the blame here, but trucking cattle interstate does not help. Serious stocker and feeder operations often use an oral drench during receiving. Some sales reps offer "free" before and after fecal testing.
0 x
Stocker Steve

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:13 am

Interesting that your map circles us but omits the Brazos river valley and the Trinity river too.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:29 am

backhoeboogie wrote:Interesting that your map circles us but omits the Brazos river valley and the Trinity river too.

Where are you Boogie? Are you in that Oklahoma/Texas border area?
0 x
Diogenes.

Return to “Beginners Board”