liver flukes

The place to start if you are new!
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: liver flukes

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:32 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:Anyone have experience with liver flukes? How do I troubleshoot them?

Seems to be some fluky cattle everywhere. Deer usually get the blame here, but trucking cattle interstate does not help. Serious stocker and feeder operations often use an oral drench during receiving. Some sales reps offer "free" before and after fecal testing.

There is now a blood antibody test that is better. Sometimes the fecal tests shows a "false" negative. Because the fluke is in the larval stage in the liver but the intestines are clear.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:07 am

I lived in one of those epidemic liver fluke areas. I think if you looked up liver flukes in the vet books it had a picture of my pasture. Imovec Plus in the spring and fall. That seemed to hold it at bay. No matter what a person did they were getting reinfected the next day. It was pretty rare to butcher one that had a good liver.
3 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:43 am

102 miles south. In the Brazos Valley.

Tests cost a lot of nickels in comparison to a dose of ivermectin plus.
1 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:53 pm

We had them bad in 2009 and our 2006 second calf cows got them bad.. It was a really wet year, that's when you get them bad. Got them up and wormed them, cant remember with what but it was an injectable.
That 2006 cow group was not long lived. We had around 60.. I think that the liver damage stayed with them even though they were rid of the flukes.
We now make sure we alternate the types of wormings...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:04 pm

Been losing too many calves and some look to be drying up. Trying to make sure I'm not missing anything. Had a bunch of small snails wash ashore a main water source. I'm in southeast Oklahoma just north of the river. I buy cattle out of Arkansas and e Texas too.
1 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:11 pm

Missed most of the Mississippi and Missouri as well.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Katpau » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:37 pm

Ivomec Plus has not been available in our area for some time. Valbazon drench is my wormer of choice for this parasite. Worm after the first freeze. It can affect fertility in bulls, so do not drench before turn out. Flukes are very common in my area. In spite of a conscientious effort to control them, you will see some liver damage in most animals at necropsy. Fortunately it takes time and more than slight liver damage to cause serious problems. Most cows will live to an old age with some damage.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:26 pm

READ THE LABEL, Ivomec Plus is only effective against adult fluke. Most of the damage is done by immature fluke burrowing into the liver.

Ken
0 x

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Katpau » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:08 pm

wbvs58 wrote:READ THE LABEL, Ivomec Plus is only effective against adult fluke. Most of the damage is done by immature fluke burrowing into the liver.

Ken
That is true for Valbazon also I believe. That is why I said to worm after it freezes, which is not possible in some locations. A freeze should take care of immature flukes, so cattle are no longer ingesting them. Worming will kill the adults, and prevent pastures being re infested. Unfortunately I was told that nothing gets them all. It takes a fair amount of liver damage to kill a cow, so most healthy cows will survive in spite of fluke liver damage.
0 x

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ridgefarmer63 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:01 pm

I had some animals I brought in from upstate NY that we found liver flukes in when we slaughtered. Ivomec plus injectable will treat animals if there is a concern.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”