The place to start if you are new!
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Re: More grass than cows

Post by Bright Raven » Sun May 19, 2019 6:23 pm

sstterry wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:10 pm
I don't have it. Someone on here recommended it a few months ago and I researched it. I am planning on frost seeding it in the fall on my pastures (well, what I can afford anyway). When I looked at it I was impressed. But is about $200/50lb.

I will see if I can see who posted that.
Thanks. I will see if they have it at the Mill.

"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun May 19, 2019 10:13 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:50 pm
sstterry wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:38 pm
Brookhill Angus wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:13 pm
Too late to do right now, but for next year, broadcast Ladino clover on your pastures. That field above is thick with Ladino, which makes cattle nice and fat.

I agree with the Ladino, but I would go with frost seeding Jumo Ladino (more expensive, but will give better yield in the long run) in the late fall. Just be careful what you spray it within the spring.

I agree with the others, but I would let it go to seed before I cut it. Just prepping for a better stand next year.
I also use Ladino clover by frost seeding. Tell me about Jumo.
I think he meant Jumbo Ladino
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

MrSmith
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by MrSmith » Tue May 21, 2019 10:02 pm

Mow it all down, and clean it up. Cattle like freshly mowed pasture, and it helps to control weeds.

Here is an instructional photo, from our operation. LO

The cows lose their minds when they hit the "carpet"

Too late to do right now, but for next year, broadcast Ladino clover on your pastures. That field above is thick with Ladino, which makes cattle nice and fat.
When you say "clean it up" do you mean hay it?
When I've mowed in the past I've had trouble with the windrow killing grass.

I think I'm going to mow some of it just enough to knock the seed heads off, and mow another section down a little shorter than that.

I'm just worried about fescue toxicity since these girls will be 3rd stage when the heat gets here.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Wed May 22, 2019 12:52 am

MrSmith wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:02 pm

Mow it all down, and clean it up. Cattle like freshly mowed pasture, and it helps to control weeds.

Here is an instructional photo, from our operation. LO

The cows lose their minds when they hit the "carpet"

When you say "clean it up" do you mean hay it?
When I've mowed in the past I've had trouble with the windrow killing grass.

I think I'm going to mow some of it just enough to knock the seed heads off, and mow another section down a little shorter than that.

I'm just worried about fescue toxicity since these girls will be 3rd stage when the heat gets here.
I take it all down to about 6-8 inches with a Woods Mower, what I meant by clean it up, is to run a chain harrow over it. Usually, I will let a group out on a lot that is thick, they work on it for about 8 days or so, then I move them out, mow it and harrow. I try to do this ahead of a heavy rain if possible. I know it sounds intensive, but the pastures will look very good. When you bring the cattle back on the field in about 10-12 days, they will have lush pasture. This is what I do, I’m not saying it will work for your operation. Suppose it were very dry, this would not work.

My neighbor does this religiously and his pastures are excellent.
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Wed May 22, 2019 7:01 am

I do not know your soils or your exact climate. If all you have is mainly fescue it just looks like you have a lot of grass right now and if a drought hits it will be marginal and in August and September you will be hurting without unusual rain (experience from here in SC). In areas of the south that are probably less kind to fescue than in KY and that more northern region and soils a short summer clip or a heavy grazing of fescue will weaken it. That might work to your advantage to add other species but will not allow as much stockpiling in the coming winter. It is truly a balancing act. We leave seedheads and one rotation is the cows and sheep eating dried seedheads. We do not see problems from it because we have selected for fescue resistance in the cattle and apparently the sheep, too. The tall aspect of the seedheads also keep wind and sun from the forages and soil below and extend grazing into the summer and longer in droughts. The term Ladino is not used in our region anymore and terms such as medium white and large white clovers are more common. See if there is a state grazing group or a skilled rotating grazer near you and in similar soils and you can learn a lot more that is applicable than a wide spread search for knowledge here.