Fri May 24, 2019 10:23 pm
sim.-ang.king wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:14 pm
Son of Butch wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:08 pm
cougar
Wrong.
East Texas Levitating Cougar
Alien could transport a cougar this time of year without leaving any crop circles.
Eyes are a delicacy among 3rd world aliens.
Sorry just not funny to me right now

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Dead calf!

Post by Son of Butch » Fri May 24, 2019 10:31 pm

Redgully wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:05 pm
I had a friend who used to be employed by farmers who were losing livestock. He used to camp there for a week and shoot whatever it was in the act. Every farmer had their theories what it was. He said 9 times out of ten it was the farmers own dog which came as a huge shock to them. The rest was next doors dog or close by. I'm thinking everything is pointing to that pit bull.
Could be a werewolf.
I shot a werewolf once... but it turned back into neighbor's dog before I could document it. :)

Redgully
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Redgully » Fri May 24, 2019 10:50 pm

Sometimes its an awkward situation. My cousin who is a good mate got a dog for pig hunting. Taught it to kill, not just catch. He then lost interest and we all knew it was killing livestock. I chased it out our place twice and never said a word to anyone. Luckily and by some miracle the dog disappeared. We all (except one of us) believe it was stolen!

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri May 24, 2019 11:08 pm

tncattle wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:44 pm
Just found a 2 week old calf dead in the pasture with intestines out and eyes gone from buzzards. She was totally fine yesterday, nursing and running around. :bang:
Healthy calf end up dead and buzzards showing up to the buffet say dog to me.
Dog kills for fun leaving the meal for second and third parties to take the blame.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Fri May 24, 2019 11:39 pm

Dogs generally maul an animal really bad in the process of killing them. Unless the calf was chewed up pretty bad I’d consider another avenue. 2week old calves can be healthy one minute, dead of bloat the next. Lots of possibilities..

Redgully
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Redgully » Sat May 25, 2019 12:15 am

Silver wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:39 pm
Dogs generally maul an animal really bad in the process of killing them. Unless the calf was chewed up pretty bad I’d consider another avenue. 2week old calves can be healthy one minute, dead of bloat the next. Lots of possibilities..
It is true they usually take the neck apart but they also like to drag the intestines out and spread them around.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Sat May 25, 2019 12:21 am

Redgully wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:15 am
Silver wrote:
It is true they usually take the neck apart but they also like to drag the intestines out and spread them around.
Yes they will, plus ripped up noses, ears, tails etc. Dogs aren’t good at killing, they like to grab whatever is close at hand and rip away at it. Almost always a mess, and an obvious one at that.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Sat May 25, 2019 1:04 am

Silver wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:21 am
Redgully wrote:
Silver wrote:
Yes they will, plus ripped up noses, ears, tails etc. Dogs aren’t good at killing, they like to grab whatever is close at hand and rip away at it. Almost always a mess, and an obvious one at that.
That's been my limited experience with dog mauled calves as well. Cuts on the shanks too and bloody tails.
The evidence left depends a lot on the size of the dogs.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sat May 25, 2019 6:14 am

Silver wrote:
Redgully wrote:
Silver wrote:
Just a lot ifs, and if it was a dog, it probably was dogs and they'll be back.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sat May 25, 2019 6:20 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:14 am
Silver wrote:
Redgully wrote:

And unfortunately this property is close to lots of homes with lots of potential suspects. A really cool set up to find this much land in such proximity to an urban environment.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:20 am
True Grit Farms wrote:
Silver wrote:

And unfortunately this property is close to lots of homes with lots of potential suspects. A really cool set up to find this much land in such proximity to an urban environment.
Add people add problems.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sat May 25, 2019 9:57 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 am
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:20 am
True Grit Farms wrote:

Add people add problems.
Properly baited an 8x4 hog trap will catch all kind of critters.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Post by alisonb » Sat May 25, 2019 12:23 pm

tncattle wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 pm
There were no marks on its neck from a possible dog kill. What could make it’s intestines pop out like that?
Spose it's too late to skin it? If you can check for any marks/hemorrhaging under the skin. Predator attack must leave marks after a kill.
Could she have injured herself on something...fence, implement etc? Any cows with horns?
If this was a dog/canine attack you would see signs.
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Sat May 25, 2019 3:07 pm

Could be a number of things. Some pneumonias/respiratory diseases can take them pretty quickly though I haven't seen or heard of those issues quite yet this year. Not to bring up a touchy subject for some, but I have also heard that sometimes during calving a larger calf may be injured internally and appear ok then die later due to the internal injury.
If it was a predatory loss which I think that is a good possibility, I doubt buzzards or eagles were the culprits with that age calf, a newborn would certainly be a target for them.
Like others have said dogs are always a real possibility but usually there is a bloody mauled up mess and a likelihood of more than one victim. Coyotes would be very high on my suspect list, as they have pretty much eliminated the roaming dog issues here in recent years. Usually they will eat a lot of the carcass then come back until its gone if it isn't moved. Cows may have heard the commotion and ran them off before they had a chance.
The neighboring dog though could be the cause too, in my opinion saying a dog isn't allowed somewhere is useless unless there is a barrier to prevent them from going under over through the fence or gate. If the dog is loose and not checked on frequently especially overnight they have no idea what he is doing or where he is. My dogs aren't allowed out in the pasture either but that doesn't mean they don't go out there. Do the other cattle act different, dogs or predators running them can be stressful and dangerous to them? They can get sick from being run especially in hot weather wouldn't take much. Anyways sorry about the loss of a calf that is bad no matter what the cause.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sat May 25, 2019 8:51 pm

tncattle wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 pm
Farm owner said he talked to his brother and the brother said the dog isn’t allowed down where the cattle are and it wasn’t him. The brother has lied more than once about things in the past so I don’t believe him. Owner said could it be a bald eagle? There are two that frequent the area. I don’t know much about bald eagles but I’m betting it’s the dog over the eagle.
I will promise you that it wasn't a bald eagle kill. They will eat on it but they won't kill it.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT