First cutting done

The place to start if you are new!
Post Reply
User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 629 times
Been thanked: 253 times

First cutting done

Post by snoopdog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:36 am

:banana: :banana: Got the rest of it wrapped up yesterday evening about 830, dang it was thick, 39 heavy 4x5 off of 6acres. Raining this morning, happy happy happy.


Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4145
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 752 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: First cutting done

Post by TCRanch » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:51 pm

Congrats!! Finally got ours cut yesterday, raking today. As much as I cussed all the rain (specifically the flooding & collateral damage) the brome looks great this year. Hoping to get 300 bales but we'll see.

User avatar
pricefarm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: First cutting done

Post by pricefarm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:06 pm

snoopdog wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:36 am
:banana: :banana: Got the rest of it wrapped up yesterday evening about 830, dang it was thick, 39 heavy 4x5 off of 6acres. Raining this morning, happy happy happy.
That’s a good crop. What kind of grass ?

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 629 times
Been thanked: 253 times

Re: First cutting done

Post by snoopdog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:18 pm

pricefarm wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:06 pm
snoopdog wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:36 am
:banana: :banana: Got the rest of it wrapped up yesterday evening about 830, dang it was thick, 39 heavy 4x5 off of 6acres. Raining this morning, happy happy happy.
That’s a good crop. What kind of grass ?
Mostly fescue, some wheat that was overmature, bermuda
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

cowrancher75
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:27 am
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: First cutting done

Post by cowrancher75 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:15 am

i cut around 20 acres or so of where the cows have already been.. got rained on last night but hoping to get it up tomorrow. I was looking at the main hay fields and its up to the tractors hood.. gonna need 4 nice days for that to dry.

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10526
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 854 times
Been thanked: 879 times

Re: First cutting done

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:29 am

cowrancher75 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:15 am
i cut around 20 acres or so of where the cows have already been.. got rained on last night but hoping to get it up tomorrow. I was looking at the main hay fields and its up to the tractors hood.. gonna need 4 nice days for that to dry.
Over on this side of the Ohio, it has been tough harvesting hay. Hay harvest is behind last year. If this rain continues, we are going to have a repeat of last year.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

cowrancher75
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:27 am
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: First cutting done

Post by cowrancher75 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:16 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:29 am
cowrancher75 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:15 am
i cut around 20 acres or so of where the cows have already been.. got rained on last night but hoping to get it up tomorrow. I was looking at the main hay fields and its up to the tractors hood.. gonna need 4 nice days for that to dry.
Over on this side of the Ohio, it has been tough harvesting hay. Hay harvest is behind last year. If this rain continues, we are going to have a repeat of last year.
we had one decent window but the fields were soaked. finally had another chance.. just had 2 nice days with a heavy wind.. if you had a conditioner and were on it you could make it in that window but i didn't have the time to get it up. I just checked out some hay fields and they still look great. it'll be interesting to see how these new grasses do with this long growing spell.

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10526
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 854 times
Been thanked: 879 times

Re: First cutting done

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:37 am

cowrancher75 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:16 am
Bright Raven wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:29 am
cowrancher75 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:15 am
i cut around 20 acres or so of where the cows have already been.. got rained on last night but hoping to get it up tomorrow. I was looking at the main hay fields and its up to the tractors hood.. gonna need 4 nice days for that to dry.
Over on this side of the Ohio, it has been tough harvesting hay. Hay harvest is behind last year. If this rain continues, we are going to have a repeat of last year.
we had one decent window but the fields were soaked. finally had another chance.. just had 2 nice days with a heavy wind.. if you had a conditioner and were on it you could make it in that window but i didn't have the time to get it up. I just checked out some hay fields and they still look great. it'll be interesting to see how these new grasses do with this long growing spell.
The growing season has been expanded at least a month. We should be starting to see some of the pasture going dormant but it looks like early May pasture.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1783
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ohio
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: First cutting done

Post by M.Magis » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:34 pm

This is our extended forecast. At this point I just have to assume everything I cut is going to get rained on at least once and accept it.
Image

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16662
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 618 times
Been thanked: 581 times

Re: First cutting done

Post by ALACOWMAN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:09 pm

snoopdog wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:36 am
:banana: :banana: Got the rest of it wrapped up yesterday evening about 830, dang it was thick, 39 heavy 4x5 off of 6acres. Raining this morning, happy happy happy.
over 6 bales a acre,,pretty good
as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15074
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 827 times
Been thanked: 632 times

Re: First cutting done

Post by Nesikep » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:55 pm

tomorrow evening I'll be baling the last of my first cut.. had decent luck but a few close calls.. got some really nice horse hay coming in now... just gotta find a sucker that'll pay well for these idiot bricks
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 629 times
Been thanked: 253 times

Re: First cutting done

Post by snoopdog » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:18 pm

cowrancher75 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:15 am
i cut around 20 acres or so of where the cows have already been.. got rained on last night but hoping to get it up tomorrow. I was looking at the main hay fields and its up to the tractors hood.. gonna need 4 nice days for that to dry.
We had 2 days with a stiff breeze, no humidity, and the uv was at max. I was still a little nervous about some of the low spots , but saved them for last. And of course the weather liars made me rush for no reason, had about half a tenth yesterday morning and nothing today. Had heavy rains predicted. Glad we got it up, but I would have preferred it being just a bit drier.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
greatgerts
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1198
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: De Soto MO
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 10 times
Contact:

Re: First cutting done

Post by greatgerts » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:59 am

I bragged on one of our fields on Facebook, but we definitely got a better yield on the first 20 acres than normal. Normally, we'd get around 80 4x6 bales. This year, we decided to use an inline wrapper. Wheat hay (yes fertilized), 4x4 bales, and it made 252 bales. Figuring the volume, that would have been equal to around 125 4x6 bales. It was sure weird to not see the hay raked!

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 629 times
Been thanked: 253 times

Re: First cutting done

Post by snoopdog » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Gonna start cutting lease land tomorrow after I get a front tire mounted, can't get that sucker off the rim so I guess I'll pay to watch somebody else sweat.Wanted to have the mower on and roll out in the morning.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 629 times
Been thanked: 253 times

Re: First cutting done

Post by snoopdog » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:56 pm

Got the tire changed,hay cut and they were calling for rain at noon this morning, no dew, I'm raking at 730am got done about 10, clouded over looking pretty ominous. I grease and lube everything when I'm done, but I like to hook up and run everything and give another shot for good measure, no time hook and go and pray for assistance.Well, it worked out, got it done by 1pm, and it's still looking ominous but hasn't rained a dang drop! The yield was not good, and if it would have got wet, I would have been in the hole, plus have to deal with a bunch of crappy hay, but it turned out ok.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Post Reply