Cost of baling hay

The place to start if you are new!
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Cost of baling hay

Post by TCRanch » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:44 pm

Just wrote a check for $6330. to cut/rake/bale appx. 115 acres. Brome in the west field averaged 2.5 bales per acre and 3.5 -4 bales in the bottom ground. Didn't get squat in the Bermuda. That said, we also let the weanlings graze the brome in the west so it always yields less.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:16 pm

I pay $20/roll, 4x6 rolls, net wrapped. Includes cutting, raking, and baling. With fertilizer and rent I average $50/roll for my hay. May fluctuate +/- $5/roll depending on certain weather factors, etc. But has been $45-$55/roll for the last 10 years.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:09 pm

I can make a profit baling 5 bales/acre, you done good.Got the numbers right ,your hay guy is happy, you'r happy, and the hay is up!
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

fhug
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by fhug » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:12 pm

What was your price per acre for the fertilizer?

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:20 pm

You had me a little confused (remember, this old brain doesn't take a lot to confuse!). I think I finally get what you were referring to when you talked about farm taxes. You might be surprised at our farm taxes. Agriculture is the number 1 industry in NY. NY is mostly rural/country. Taxes in our county are very low compared to land across my road. My road divides two counties. Across the road is Tompkins county where Cornell Univ is located. Taxes much higher. Actually, my hay ground is leased land across the road. We have two taxes/year. A County Tax and a School Tax. Agriculture land that has an income of more than $10,000 gets the School Tax refunded to us with our NY State Taxes. Pretty good deal!

fhug - I spent $48.88/acre.
snoopdog - YES - hay is done. My husband would say "too late for 1st cutting now" (because we were finished). Without the ability to put up baleage, we would not have even started. We actually had sections in the fields that the guys had to go around mowing, and some places the baler couldn't go even though hay was cut. We are really, really wet. Hay ground is more like swamp ground!
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:51 pm

[quote="Caustic Burno" Back when I had all my equipment and with fertilizer cost, I had 36 dollars a roll in hay. It would scare the fire out of me to run the numbers today. [/quote]

What was the equipment part? Did you include any labor?
Stocker Steve

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Coosh71 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:03 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:32 am
First cutting is done! Yahoo
We had 2 sunny days (8th & 9th) and got 70 acres done, then 3 days later had a sunny day & got the last 10 acres done. All put up as baleage - 52" and inline wrapped.
I do not own ANY hay equipment except the two spears on my tractor. Total labor & equipment cost was $15.72/bale. This will vary from year to year, depending on how many bales per acre. I got 5.13/acre. Mostly grass hay, just starting boot stage.
How does that compare to others?
I put 300#/acre fertilizer.
That cost is way lower than it is here. We have a couple Meadows we are going to cut and hay guy quoted me $40/bale. We should get 75-80 bales per meadow.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:06 am

Coosh - your fertilizer, your ground and it will cost $40/bale?? Yikes. I don't think I could stay in business if my feed cost was that much. I could see that owning your own equipment would be more profitable than hiring it done.
Our hay crew is a 3 man team. My nephew is one. They have a bale wagon that picks up 12 wet bales in the field, dumps it in a double line (6 +6). They bring a skid steer that Phil (nephew) uses to load the in line wrapper. Since our "no rain" window was so small, Ben mowed from about 9:30pm til 3AM, both Friday & Saturday nights. Started baling around 1pm. Put up about 175 each day and finished up 3 days later. They have a great system, and my hay fields are close to where we wrap, so short haul time.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:53 am

Son of Butch wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:48 pm

hmmm.... seems to me maybe New York should raise their property taxes... :)
...state income taxes range from 4% to 8.2%.... then add to that the property taxes.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:38 pm

1982vett wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:53 am
Son of Butch wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:48 pm

hmmm.... seems to me maybe New York should raise their property taxes... :)
...state income taxes range from 4% to 8.2%.... then add to that the property taxes.
Plus sales tax, Not enough... those rural bums need to pay more to keep those NYC streets clean
and east coast politicians happy. :)

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:23 pm

We pay 8% sales tax on everything you buy except non-prepared food. It does vary in some counties.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:26 pm

I wish my wife could figure out how to put her family farm on Grindstone Island into conservation. The tax bill is only $14k per year and the house is a 100+ years old. That's quite excessive for someone that only spends a couple of weeks a year there.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:35 pm

Grit - if it was an active farm with a certain amount of income, would the taxes be a whole lot less? $14k is almost 5 times what I end up paying for land taxes in a year on about 160 acres.

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Coosh71 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:50 pm

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:06 am
Coosh - your fertilizer, your ground and it will cost $40/bale?? Yikes. I don't think I could stay in business if my feed cost was that much. I could see that owning your own equipment would be more profitable than hiring it done.
Our hay crew is a 3 man team. My nephew is one. They have a bale wagon that picks up 12 wet bales in the field, dumps it in a double line (6 +6). They bring a skid steer that Phil (nephew) uses to load the in line wrapper. Since our "no rain" window was so small, Ben mowed from about 9:30pm til 3AM, both Friday & Saturday nights. Started baling around 1pm. Put up about 175 each day and finished up 3 days later. They have a great system, and my hay fields are ok close to where we wrap, so short haul time.
That's with no fertilizer. That's pulling up, swathing, baling and leaving. $40/bale. Bales will be good 1500#. Around here if you buy hay it's $80-$120/bale. We usually stock pile hay every couple years just so we have extra. We don't need to feed much hay in winter. It's just nice to have. And sometimes we sell it in late winter to help others out.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 pm

Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:35 pm
Grit - if it was an active farm with a certain amount of income, would the taxes be a whole lot less? $14k is almost 5 times what I end up paying for land taxes in a year on about 160 acres.
There's a 1/4+ mile of Grindstone Island shoreline that drives the value up. It's not an active farm anymore, at one time it had an ice house, cheese factory, a herd of Guernsey milk cows and horned Hereford beef cows. I see no way that we can feasibly generate $10k in farm income per year.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.