Cost of baling hay

The place to start if you are new!
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Cost of baling hay

Post by Stocker Steve » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:08 pm

[quote="True Grit Farms" It's not an active farm anymore, at one time it had an ice house, cheese factory, a herd of Guernsey milk cows and horned Hereford beef cows. I see no way that we can feasibly generate $10k in farm income per year.
[/quote]

I don't know about Guernsey, but CT experts should be able to get you into some high profit beefers! :nod:

Stocker Steve

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:48 am

Coosh - "that's" the major difference. I need about 11 bales/head for our winter supply. We feed from Nov thru April, with nothing for them to eat EXCEPT the hay we provide. And, baleage is a lot of water. Might be about 700# dry matter/bale. So, your $40 would be about $20/bale for me.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:57 pm

I'm charging 22 a bale to cut/rake/bale 4x5.5 net wrapped bales. If somebody offered to pay me less than 16 for the same operation plus hauling and wrapping I'd leave my equipment parked in the shed. Not sure how they can make those numbers pencil out.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Always some who will do it for less. That does not mean it pencils out.

What is the weight and value of a 4x5.5 bale in the UP ?
Stocker Steve

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:16 pm

Mine (wet) will weigh about 1300# (4 x 52"). Worth about $35?? Equal to about 700# dry matter.
He's a neighbor. Been doing mine for 30+ years. But, even so, I think that's what he charges others. Also, added cost - I pay/provide for all the fuel.
When we are able to do dry bales, it might run about the same per bale, but there is twice as much hay in one bale.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:51 pm

22 a bale is my friend/neighbor rate. If I'm busy and its farther away the price can go up.

Last year my 4x5 dry bales averaged 913lbs and wet were as heavy as 1500lbs. I sold all I wanted this spring for 40 a bale, could have raised the price but I didnt.

This is my first year with the 4x6 crop cutter baler so I'm eager to see what kind of weight I can slam in a bale. I haven't actually set a price on my 4x5.5s and x6s with my customers until I weigh some, but told them no less than 22.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:27 pm

[quote=chevytaHOE
This is my first year with the 4x6 crop cutter baler so I'm eager to see what kind of weight I can slam into a bale.
[/quote]

How much DM could your old baler put into a dry bale vs. a wet bale ?
Stocker Steve

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:54 am

Coosh71 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:50 pm
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:06 am
Coosh - your fertilizer, your ground and it will cost $40/bale?? Yikes. I don't think I could stay in business if my feed cost was that much. I could see that owning your own equipment would be more profitable than hiring it done.
Our hay crew is a 3 man team. My nephew is one. They have a bale wagon that picks up 12 wet bales in the field, dumps it in a double line (6 +6). They bring a skid steer that Phil (nephew) uses to load the in line wrapper. Since our "no rain" window was so small, Ben mowed from about 9:30pm til 3AM, both Friday & Saturday nights. Started baling around 1pm. Put up about 175 each day and finished up 3 days later. They have a great system, and my hay fields are ok close to where we wrap, so short haul time.
That's with no fertilizer. That's pulling up, swathing, baling and leaving. $40/bale. Bales will be good 1500#. Around here if you buy hay it's $80-$120/bale. We usually stock pile hay every couple years just so we have extra. We don't need to feed much hay in winter. It's just nice to have. And sometimes we sell it in late winter to help others out.
Coosh if you don't feed hay in winter what do you feed??
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:26 pm

I don't bale wet hay, so my per ton figures don't add up. I prefer to spend my time baling, rather than digging it out of the pickup of my old equipment.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:24 pm

snoopdog - I don't own any hay equipment, but I believe the baler has to be made for wet hay. I'm "assuming" you know that, LOL.
I would much rather put it all up dry, but here in NY that is like nearly impossible for 1st cutting - unless you want to wait for July. I try to put up 2nd cutting in dry bales. But, I have them do what we gotta do to get it up out of the fields.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:14 pm

I've never used a "silage special" baler, or one with a silage kit. Just a regular baler. John Deere and Vermeer have worked fine for baleage.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:30 pm

Parked the rake, called around, and rented a wrapper. Legume mix hay won't go below 35% with our current humidity and a couple rains per week. Will be baling at 35 to 50% moisture with a nothing special Hesston.

Neighbor baled all his grass/red clover hay before the last rain. Now you can smell the stacked round bales when you drive by on the road... Costs a lot to roll up junk.
Stocker Steve

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:39 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:30 pm
Parked the rake, called around, and rented a wrapper. Legume mix hay won't go below 35% with our current humidity and a couple rains per week. Will be baling at 35 to 50% moisture with a nothing special Hesston.

Neighbor baled all his grass/red clover hay before the last rain. Now you can smell the stacked round bales when you drive by on the road... Costs a lot to roll up junk.
Agree with you, plastic and a little extra time cost less than turning good feed into $h!+.

You wrapping individually or in-line? Pros and cons to both but the in-line is more economical.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:24 pm

Gcreek- I agree - in-line is cheaper - and you have less throw away plastic in the end. The "only" advantage I see in the marshmellows, is that they are more saleable. Buyers "think" they keep better/longer than the in-line when they take them home, but reality is when you pick up/move a marshmellow, it is almost like breaking it open. You do break the seal and it breathes.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:41 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:24 pm
Gcreek- I agree - in-line is cheaper - and you have less throw away plastic in the end. The "only" advantage I see in the marshmellows, is that they are more saleable. Buyers "think" they keep better/longer than the in-line when they take them home, but reality is when you pick up/move a marshmellow, it is almost like breaking it open. You do break the seal and it breathes.
Marshmallows take less space if you stack them also. I found that a big advantage in smaller hay yards.

Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)