Page 2 of 3

Re: Can't catch a break

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:09 pm
by TCRanch
nocows wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:58 am
I can separate her and the calf for the next month or two until he's ready to wean, I will take her to the sale barn and let them know she's a milk thief. I'd say she'll sell as a kill/weigh cow, I don't want her to disappoint someone else.

Just frustrating that people aren't honest... I tend to give most people the benefit of the doubt in situations. I'm having a hard time believing the feller I bought her from wasn't aware of the situation. Either way it's a done deal I'll take care of the situation and move on down the road.

On to the next one........ :cboy:
Appreciate your honesty! I've taken culls, cows with attitude, just not great bags, late calvers, stags & opens to the sale barn and have always been up front. I've even sold "undesirables" (primarily attitude) private treaty with full disclosure.

Re: Can't catch a break

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:51 pm
by True Grit Farms
Honesty has nothing to do with it, I buy the same way as I sell at the stockyards. I've heard the ringleader announce these are all good cattle from so and so, but I've never heard this cow is a milk stealer. The buyers will pick a flaw out on a cow within 10 seconds once it enters the ring.
When I sell private treaty if your not happy with your purchase I'll give you your money back. The stockyard is business only, not Disney World.

Re: Can't catch a break

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:58 am
by TennesseeTuxedo
True Grit Farms wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:51 pm
Honesty has nothing to do with it, I buy the same way as I sell at the stockyards. I've heard the ringleader announce these are all good cattle from so and so, but I've never heard this cow is a milk stealer. The buyers will pick a flaw out on a cow within 10 seconds once it enters the ring.
When I sell private treaty if your not happy with your purchase I'll give you your money back. The stockyard is business only, not Disney World.
If I send a problem to the sale barn I let them know what it is. I think that’s only right.

Re: Can't catch a break

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:13 am
by True Grit Farms
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:58 am
True Grit Farms wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:51 pm
Honesty has nothing to do with it, I buy the same way as I sell at the stockyards. I've heard the ringleader announce these are all good cattle from so and so, but I've never heard this cow is a milk stealer. The buyers will pick a flaw out on a cow within 10 seconds once it enters the ring.
When I sell private treaty if your not happy with your purchase I'll give you your money back. The stockyard is business only, not Disney World.
If I send a problem to the sale barn I let them know what it is. I think that’s only right.
Good for you, I don't. There's not a cow sold that doesn't have a flaw. Have you ever sat through a sale at a stockyard? The order buyers will yell out when they see something wrong, it's like getting a trophy for them.

Re: Can't catch a break

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:26 am
by TennesseeTuxedo
True Grit Farms wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:13 am
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:58 am
True Grit Farms wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:51 pm
Honesty has nothing to do with it, I buy the same way as I sell at the stockyards. I've heard the ringleader announce these are all good cattle from so and so, but I've never heard this cow is a milk stealer. The buyers will pick a flaw out on a cow within 10 seconds once it enters the ring.
When I sell private treaty if your not happy with your purchase I'll give you your money back. The stockyard is business only, not Disney World.
If I send a problem to the sale barn I let them know what it is. I think that’s only right.
Good for you, I don't. There's not a cow sold that doesn't have a flaw. Have you ever sat through a sale at a stockyard? The order buyers will yell out when they see something wrong, it's like getting a trophy for them.
I totally get what you’re saying. I guess I should clarify, if I take a cow that needs to go to slaughter to the barn I tell them, she’s a slaughter cow. Same on a bull if he has a problem. If I half a calf with a defect I don’t point it out because as you stated, they’re gonna spot it anyway.

Re: Can't catch a break

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:27 am
by TCRanch
True Grit Farms wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:13 am
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:58 am
True Grit Farms wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:51 pm
Honesty has nothing to do with it, I buy the same way as I sell at the stockyards. I've heard the ringleader announce these are all good cattle from so and so, but I've never heard this cow is a milk stealer. The buyers will pick a flaw out on a cow within 10 seconds once it enters the ring.
When I sell private treaty if your not happy with your purchase I'll give you your money back. The stockyard is business only, not Disney World.
If I send a problem to the sale barn I let them know what it is. I think that’s only right.
Good for you, I don't. There's not a cow sold that doesn't have a flaw. Have you ever sat through a sale at a stockyard? The order buyers will yell out when they see something wrong, it's like getting a trophy for them.
"Flaw" is subjective. I sold some really nice cow/calf pairs last year only because I wanted to get back to spring calving only. They were good mamas, docile & bred (a trifecta!) but it was just too much of a hassle to work & wean straggler calves. Plus it made it more difficult to pull the bulls in a timely manner; keeping them in long enough for the late calvers to breed back but early enough I didn't have to worry about heifer calves getting bred prior to weaning.

Re: Can't catch a break

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:15 am
by True Grit Farms
TCRanch wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:27 am
True Grit Farms wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:13 am
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:58 am


If I send a problem to the sale barn I let them know what it is. I think that’s only right.
Good for you, I don't. There's not a cow sold that doesn't have a flaw. Have you ever sat through a sale at a stockyard? The order buyers will yell out when they see something wrong, it's like getting a trophy for them.
"Flaw" is subjective. I sold some really nice cow/calf pairs last year only because I wanted to get back to spring calving only. They were good mamas, docile & bred (a trifecta!) but it was just too much of a hassle to work & wean straggler calves. Plus it made it more difficult to pull the bulls in a timely manner; keeping them in long enough for the late calvers to breed back but early enough I didn't have to worry about heifer calves getting bred prior to weaning.
I sell what I think are my good cattle private treaty. You'll never see a perfect cow, some are just better than others.

Re: Can't catch a break

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:04 pm
by TCRanch
True Grit Farms wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:15 am
TCRanch wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:27 am
True Grit Farms wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:13 am


Good for you, I don't. There's not a cow sold that doesn't have a flaw. Have you ever sat through a sale at a stockyard? The order buyers will yell out when they see something wrong, it's like getting a trophy for them.
"Flaw" is subjective. I sold some really nice cow/calf pairs last year only because I wanted to get back to spring calving only. They were good mamas, docile & bred (a trifecta!) but it was just too much of a hassle to work & wean straggler calves. Plus it made it more difficult to pull the bulls in a timely manner; keeping them in long enough for the late calvers to breed back but early enough I didn't have to worry about heifer calves getting bred prior to weaning.
I sell what I think are my good cattle private treaty. You'll never see a perfect cow, some are just better than others.
When I have the time I prefer to sell aforementioned pairs private treaty. But I pick my battles and they actually did very well at the sale barn so honestly not sure if I would have come out ahead privately. Taking into consideration the time, potential tire kickers, continuting to feed them and the almost guaranteed stress of buyers wanting to haggle at the last moment and manditory guaranteed funds (seriously, why are they shocked I don't want their personal check unless I know them VERY well?).

Re: Can't catch a break

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:07 pm
by bball
Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:30 pm
I can't break her from sucking but i can tell you how to break the other cows from letting her suck. Get a halter that will fit her and drive a couple of rows of horse shoe nail threw the nose band. I wrap the nose band with duct tape after i drive the nails threw it.
Great recommendation RBB. I have a question for you. I have never had a cow or even a yearling do this. Watching tonight, i caught a weaned yearling hereford sucking on another hereford cow(not her dam either). Do they never grow out of this? If i load her up and take her home for the rest of the summer, should i expect her to do this again next year? Plenty of quality mineral out too btw(great point). Appreciate your thoughts

Re: Can't catch a break

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:13 pm
by Red Bull Breeder
bball wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:07 pm
Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:30 pm
I can't break her from sucking but i can tell you how to break the other cows from letting her suck. Get a halter that will fit her and drive a couple of rows of horse shoe nail threw the nose band. I wrap the nose band with duct tape after i drive the nails threw it.
Great recommendation RBB. I have a question for you. I have never had a cow or even a yearling do this. Watching tonight, i caught a weaned yearling hereford sucking on another hereford cow(not her dam either). Do they never grow out of this? If i load her up and take her home for the rest of the summer, should i expect her to do this again next year? Plenty of quality mineral out too btw(great point). Appreciate your thoughts
Bball i have had good luck doing it. With a heifer you got to watch about the halter getting to tight. But i have either broke the cows from letting the suck or broke them from sucking. Cows will get to where they will run her off as soon as she shows up.

Re: Can't catch a break

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:22 am
by Jeanne - Simme Valley
Was she actually sucking??? or just licking? Cows will lick/groom other cows. It's a social thing. I see lots of cows lick another cows udder area. The licked cow will actually raise her leg - enjoying every minute of it. But - no sucking involved.

Re: Can't catch a break

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:37 am
by bball
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:22 am
Was she actually sucking??? or just licking? Cows will lick/groom other cows. It's a social thing. I see lots of cows lick another cows udder area. The licked cow will actually raise her leg - enjoying every minute of it. But - no sucking involved.
Yes. She was actually nursing on her Jeanne. Latched and sucking.

Re: Can't catch a break

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:49 am
by Red Bull Breeder
You fix you up one of those halters. The nails folks use to tack felt on insulation board on will work to. She will wear out her welcome pretty quick. The other cows will break her.

Re: Can't catch a break

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:24 pm
by Jeanne - Simme Valley
RBB - I really like your solution. It would be worth buying a cow halter (mine are all rope halters) if I had something worth keeping around.

Re: Can't catch a break

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:09 pm
by Red Bull Breeder
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:24 pm
RBB - I really like your solution. It would be worth buying a cow halter (mine are all rope halters) if I had something worth keeping around.
It works and its cheap Jeanne. It really doesn't seem to take the cows long to break the offender.