How much do you expect from 1st calf heifers?

The place to start if you are new!
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: How much do you expect from 1st calf heifers?

Post by Stocker Steve » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:52 am

Nesikep wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:37 am
That's kinda what I'm seeing from the limos crosses I have.. they milk very well right from the start but the mommas look like a can of smashed arseholes by the end of the season.. so far they've bred back alright though
I ran some high percentage ranch type Hereford heifers in a previous life. Excellent breed back, but had to watch the calves for BRD. I think limited milk stressed them and increased the chance of disease.

I have been calving heifers a couple weeks early, so if they have their second calf at 45 days from the cow herd start, they are really at 60 to 70 days back from their initial calving date. The place I see the most rebred delay is on slower maturing heifers that continue to grow a lot after calving. Some breed tendencies here. :cowboy:

I had on old timer tell me to calve heifers later than the cows. :???: His theory was to rebred them before they got milked down. Could be some feed quality issues involved in his operation.

Stocker Steve

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:00 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:52 am
Nesikep wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:37 am
That's kinda what I'm seeing from the limos crosses I have.. they milk very well right from the start but the mommas look like a can of smashed arseholes by the end of the season.. so far they've bred back alright though
I ran some high percentage ranch type Hereford heifers in a previous life. Excellent breed back, but had to watch the calves for BRD. I think limited milk stressed them and increased the chance of disease.

I have been calving heifers a couple weeks early, so if they have their second calf at 45 days from the cow herd start, they are really at 60 to 70 days back from their initial calving date. The place I see the most rebred delay is on slower maturing heifers that continue to grow a lot after calving. Some breed tendencies here. :cowboy:

I had on old timer tell me to calve heifers later than the cows. :???: His theory was to rebred them before they got milked down. Could be some feed quality issues involved in his operation.
I think it depends on your management, but I've often found the later calving ones breed back better as well.. If you grain your animals I think it's different
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

cowgal604
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by cowgal604 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:35 pm

I have little no experience on this but we are also a small farm. My smallest cow has shown progressively better calves each time (now on her 3rd). Her first calf was 55lbs, second 60lbs and yesterday gave birth to a 75lb calf.

I bred 5 heifers this year. 4 have calved so far and they have all actually given me similar calves to their size at birth. One of my heifers was 110lbs at birth and she just gave us a 100lb bull calf. She was a big calf and she has given us a very big calf.

I can relate to the small cow herd and wanting to get the most out of it and we keep our breeding cows based on their nature mainly. If they breed easy, calve easy and are good mothers i keep them even if they give us a 50lb calf that stays on the smaller side.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:55 am

[quote=Nesikep
I think it depends on your management, but I've often found the later calving ones breed back better as well.. If you grain your animals I think it's different
[/quote]

Ya.
I separated my "improved" first calvers this year and gave them some oats every other day till they were on grass. One local grazier targets the start of calving for 3 weeks after turn out.
Stocker Steve

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:05 pm

Seems people as well as animals produce at a level that is proportionate to the amount of energy available. When we are in a negative energy balance we usually prefer to lay around and do nothing. Animals are the same way. Provided with adequate energy we become productive and accomplish things in a timely and often exceptional manner.
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:12 pm

cowgal604 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:35 pm
I have little no experience on this but we are also a small farm. My smallest cow has shown progressively better calves each time (now on her 3rd). Her first calf was 55lbs, second 60lbs and yesterday gave birth to a 75lb calf.

I bred 5 heifers this year. 4 have calved so far and they have all actually given me similar calves to their size at birth. One of my heifers was 110lbs at birth and she just gave us a 100lb bull calf. She was a big calf and she has given us a very big calf.

I can relate to the small cow herd and wanting to get the most out of it and we keep our breeding cows based on their nature mainly. If they breed easy, calve easy and are good mothers i keep them even if they give us a 50lb calf that stays on the smaller side.
the cows own BW is more significant in predicting the offspring's BW than the sire. She is the factory and environment. Especially if she was born/raised on your farm. The sire's BW is so important, because he is putting influence on ALL the calves.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:35 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:05 pm
Seems people as well as animals produce at a level that is proportionate to the amount of energy available. When we are in a negative energy balance we usually prefer to lay around and do nothing. Animals are the same way. Provided with adequate energy we become productive and accomplish things in a timely and often exceptional manner.
:lol: I’ll poke that one....energy levels have little to do with some folks preferring to lay around and do nothing.....
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:33 am

1982vett wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:35 pm
TexasBred wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:05 pm
:lol: I’ll poke that one....energy levels have little to do with some folks preferring to lay around and do nothing.....
:lol: :lol: vet they're saving energy for when the sun goes down.
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:13 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:55 am
Nesikep wrote: I think it depends on your management, but I've often found the later calving ones breed back better as well.. If you grain your animals I think it's different
Ya.
I separated my "improved" first calvers this year and gave them some oats every other day till they were on grass. One local grazier targets the start of calving for 3 weeks after turn out.
if only my cows had a 3 week gestation! :P

I'm not sure I'd like to start calving in mid May.. yeah, no mud and longer days would be nice, but you really quickly get into heat stress in the calves around here.. We've had 100F in the shade in mid May, and some years it didn't let up til September... If the calves don't know how to drink water and find shade (or move when the shade moves off), they dehydrate really quickly
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens