What are you using to apply pour on’s?

The place to start if you are new!
NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

What are you using to apply pour on’s?

Post by NonTypicalCPA » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:03 am

Is there a good simple applicator out there? My bull likes to try to kick me when I’m pouring on fly control meds. He thinks it’s good fun! Not to mention getting swatted by manure filled tails. I’d like to increase my distance a bit.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: What are you using to apply pour on’s?

Post by kenny thomas » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:06 am

Got a friend that uses a golf ball retrieval handle with a small cup taped on it.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Coosh71 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:10 am

For fly control we hang rubs and charge them up with diesel and fly treatment, and all cattle walk under, rub there faces on it etc. We also spray them down if flies get bad (water/1 gal sprayer and fly treatment). sometimes we drop a little feed in a tight circle and stand on back of feed truck and spray them. They don't run from the feed... If you have to actually pour them I'd run them thru a snake/tight alley or put them in a chute. I don't know if I'd like being kicked at by my bulls.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:17 am

The brand I used said 4 to 5 ounces per cow. I cut the top off a pop bottle. Poured in approximately 4 to 5 ounces. And tossed it at the cows. Some times from fairly close, sometimes from about as far away as I could get it on the cow. Hit them on the top, the side, or wherever. If I got a third of the herd there would be no flies the next day. I think the flies were attracted to the wet spot on some of the cows. Not as scientific as some would like but it worked for me.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:33 am

There was a guy on Ranchers a long time ago (CT too, seems to me) that used a kids Super Soaker water gun. Some of those have a lot of range. He might have just applied Ivomec to his bulls with it from up in the tractor but the idea would be similar I think.

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by NonTypicalCPA » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:42 am

Sounds like I have to get creative! Surprised there’s not something manufactured.

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:23 pm

Use the gun designed for the respective pour–on product to ensure proper dosage & application. In many cases calibration, discharge/flow rate, cap sizes & the length of tube entering the container aren't interchangeable. Often as not you can get a free gun if you meet volume requirements. They'll last a very long time if properly cared for/lubricated.
Sure beats the old ladle deal from years ago.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:23 pm

I don't like throwing expensive wormer at em..for flies it back rubber or hand pump sprayer...
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Post by Workinonit Farm » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:26 pm

Usually I will run them up the chute, catch the "leader" in the head-gate, and while they are all lining up behind the 1st one, I go down the line and apply the pour-on. Other times, most often with fly repellents, I will use a 1 gallon pump sprayer and walk amongst them and shoot them that way. I dial in the tip so it comes out as a steady stream rather than a mist.
Live each day as if it were your last.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:44 pm

I just sporadically dump some cubes then walk through the herd. They're all used to it and there's only a few that balk so I wait until it's windy & hit them from behind.

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:38 pm

I use a 15 gallon spot sprayer. Hose em all down when I change pastures. Just park the mule at the gate and stand on back and spray em when they come through the gate so they can’t get away from me. Flies haven’t been bad at all this year so far though

ccr
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by ccr » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:23 pm

I use an old broomstick handle with a plastic measuring cup attached to the end of it. I put feed into the feed troughs lined up against the corral. Turn the cows into the lot and pour ultra boss, standguard, sabre or whatever into the plastic measuring cup that is attached to the broomstick. Then while they are busy eating, standing next to the corral across from the feed troughs I pour the pesticide along there back beginning close as I can get to the tailhead and pour along the back toward their head (in case they back up I'll still get a pretty good dose on). Then fill the plastic measuring cup again and do the next one and so on. Usually works pretty well with about 10 head and 2# of cube for each. It's raining now but I can take a picture of this hi-tech invention and show you if you like.
clark cattle ranch
happiness is healthy cattle

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 am

ccr wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:23 pm
I use an old broomstick handle with a plastic measuring cup attached to the end of it. I put feed into the feed troughs lined up against the corral. Turn the cows into the lot and pour ultra boss, standguard, sabre or whatever into the plastic measuring cup that is attached to the broomstick. Then while they are busy eating, standing next to the corral across from the feed troughs I pour the pesticide along there back beginning close as I can get to the tailhead and pour along the back toward their head (in case they back up I'll still get a pretty good dose on). Then fill the plastic measuring cup again and do the next one and so on. Usually works pretty well with about 10 head and 2# of cube for each. It's raining now but I can take a picture of this hi-tech invention and show you if you like.
I love your hi-tech invention - sometimes you gotta think outside the box. Safety first! I had a cow that twisted her foot on the dam (saw her go down) and once again nowhere remotely close to any of the working facilities so I took a cafe tension rod (for curtains), cut a slit in one rubber end, shoved a paintbrush in the end, extended the rod to its full length and "painted" DMSO on her foot & leg.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:13 am

I don't use pour on now but when I did I used an old aluminum water dipper.
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:40 am

76 Bar wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:23 pm
Use the gun designed for the respective pour–on product to ensure proper dosage & application. In many cases calibration, discharge/flow rate, cap sizes & the length of tube entering the container aren't interchangeable. Often as not you can get a free gun if you meet volume requirements. They'll last a very long time if properly cared for/lubricated.
Sure beats the old ladle deal from years ago.

Exactly, the half doses that don’t hit the target or not enough given initially are why we have resistance to parasites
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)