Money making in cattle

The place to start if you are new!
Post Reply
trin
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: kentucky

Money making in cattle

Post by trin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Have 12 acres wanting to see what would make me the most profit with cattle. Raising 200 Lb calves on winter annual? 5 beef cows and sell calves? Larger stockers or heifers? Real thin cattle purchased and put on grass?



User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13424
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 543 times
Been thanked: 507 times

Re: Money making in cattle

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:13 pm

trin wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:02 pm
Have 12 acres wanting to see what would make me the most profit with cattle. Raising 200 Lb calves on winter annual? 5 beef cows and sell calves? Larger stockers or heifers? Real thin cattle purchased and put on grass?
trin, you've been registered here since 2005. What have you been doing to make money with cattle?
Making Cattle Today Great Again!

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14628
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 531 times
Been thanked: 419 times

Re: Money making in cattle

Post by Nesikep » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:27 pm

Most profit will be in selling square bales of hay to horse people no doubt about it
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24096
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Money making in cattle

Post by Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:27 pm
Most profit will be in selling square bales of hay to horse people no doubt about it
Hay is the money and going to be even more profitable to those doing it in the future.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 12:33 pm
Location: SW Michigan
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Money making in cattle

Post by NonTypicalCPA » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 pm

What’s a profit???

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24096
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Money making in cattle

Post by Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:29 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 pm
What’s a profit???
At today’s prices profit in cow calf operation is slim at best.
Lot of welfare cattle getting hauled to the salebarn.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

kilroy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:58 am
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Money making in cattle

Post by kilroy60 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:19 am

Nesikep wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:27 pm
Most profit will be in selling square bales of hay to horse people no doubt about it
Best advice I've heard in a while!

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 252 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: Money making in cattle

Post by gcreekrch » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:49 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 pm
What’s a profit???

2015, and NEXT YEAR!
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1667
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 522 times
Been thanked: 457 times

Re: Money making in cattle

Post by Silver » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:54 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:49 pm
NonTypicalCPA wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 pm
What’s a profit???

2015, and NEXT YEAR!
In the fall of that year that's exactly what I told my dad we'd be saying for the rest of our lives.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 252 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: Money making in cattle

Post by gcreekrch » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:03 pm

Silver wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:54 pm
gcreekrch wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:49 pm
NonTypicalCPA wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 pm
What’s a profit???

2015, and NEXT YEAR!
In the fall of that year that's exactly what I told my dad we'd be saying for the rest of our lives.
2015 was fun. The infrastructure sure profited by it here.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Post Reply