How to help calf give up sucking milk

The place to start if you are new!
devarainjan
Beginner
Beginner

Re: How to help calf give up sucking milk

Post by devarainjan » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:41 pm

thank you everyone. sorry I was away for sometime and unable to reply. Luckily now it is winter in Poland so I am be able to separate the mother and calves. Also the mother has just given a baby. Thank you one again.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:17 am

I figure you are pretty new at cattle. It is imperative that your calves are weaned at least 60 days prior to the dam calving again - if you want a healthy newborn. The cow needs time to build up quality colostrum. Colostrum is the first milk the calf gets. It should be full of antibodies, which the calf can only utilize the first 24 hours of life. If another calf nurses her milk production 60 days prior to calving, the cow will never produce the much needed colostrum for the newborn.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Post by ChrisB » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:33 am

Hippie Rancher wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:16 pm
another trait I am interested in selecting for, good momma til weaning time, then she does the job like how nature works.
Could it be that the cows that wean calves on their own are the poor milkers that are no longer producing milk so the calves just quit trying? Not saying that is the case with your herd but that is what first came to my mind. Or have you actually watched cows that will kick at their calves whenever they try nursing once they are 7 months old?

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Post by Hippie Rancher » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:48 am

ChrisB wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:33 am
Hippie Rancher wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:16 pm
another trait I am interested in selecting for, good momma til weaning time, then she does the job like how nature works.
Could it be that the cows that wean calves on their own are the poor milkers that are no longer producing milk so the calves just quit trying? Not saying that is the case with your herd but that is what first came to my mind. Or have you actually watched cows that will kick at their calves whenever they try nursing once they are 7 months old?
no, because the ones that I can observe doing it most are mothers of heifers we keep. generally those would have been raised well and look good. (of course we don't get everything gathered and weaned precisely on a a 7 month date, life isn't that organized around here and we aren't even on a tight breeding schedule to begin with...all things that need much work)