Guard rail or go bob fortress fence

The place to start if you are new!
Boot Jack Bulls
GURU
GURU

Re: Guard rail or go bob fortress fence

Post by Boot Jack Bulls » Sun May 24, 2020 11:11 am

My guardrail paddocks have been in place for about 10 years now. They are composed of 2 rails, with about 18 inch spacing from ground to bottom rail and about 12 inch from bottom rail to top rail, with 8 foot spacing between 4x4 posts. For my purposes, this set-up works great. I prefer the larger spacing between rails. In my case, we run very few cows/calves, and the few I have, have never attempted to escape, so no issue there. In fact, because these are the lots where I winter some of my bulls, the only thing escaping between the rails is likely to be myself! I have never had to, but knock on wood, if I needed to make a hasty exit from the pen, no climbing is needed.

I have had a group of bulls play fighting that rolled into the fence and busted 3 posts. Because of the continuous rail, though, it stayed somewhat up-right and was easily fixed.

The only thing I have found I do not like about the guard rail is that I always want to put up more!!!

Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

76 Bar
GURU
GURU

Re: Guard rail or go bob fortress fence

Post by 76 Bar » Mon May 25, 2020 12:49 pm

I still don't get why people like the bud box system.
Me neither unless they're having to constantly deal with cattle who have a history of being poorly handled. I've leased numerous places over the years that fell well short of mark of being ideal and some a supposed night mare. Given a bit of patience & tincture of time adults & calves do their best to be cooperate.
Long after Willam's gained notoriety he worked for a number of ranches in Northern CA specifically Humboldt County where I ranched for 40 years.
People considered him the 2nd coming of god. Not coming from a ranching history my thought was Geez its just common sense.