The place to start if you are new!
greggy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Breed at year old or wait till 2

Post by greggy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:08 pm

Redgully wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:30 am
If you only have four to breed now instead of a bull why not use A.I.
My vets say it is very expensive, I was originally thinking this was the way I would do them all, but the conversation ended that.

What sort of costs do you say should be involved ? You can PM me if you do not want to post it here :)

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:49 pm

Its not very expensive if you have an A.I. tech close by. A straw will cost you $10-$30. You can pick old bulls up from semex for $8. Work on 1.5 straws a cow for misses. Now if you have a tech close by, maybe a proffesional, vet or farmer who does his own, they usually charge $10 to $50 a cow. If you are good at heat detection then can do each one as they come in. If you are not interested in heat detection can run a hormone program and do timed A.I. all at the same time. A hormone program will cost you anywhere from $25 to $100 a cow depending on how much you can do yourself. You will need to put cidrs in, do injections and remove cidrs, if you can do all that at the times the tech says then will save money on them traveling to do it. Cidrs are roughly $15 each but i use them twice. Injections are about $5 a shot and you may need two, i used one, shot per cow. I am a really small producer so for me i just heat detect and don't do any of the hormone stuff so just costs me the price of the straw and i feel i get a better take. For you it is going to come down to how close an A.I. guy is.

Logar
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Logar » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:40 am

darcelina4 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:50 am
Logar wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:46 pm
Everyone has different idea on this but I do it on weight. I hate having issues with calving and like to see them spit out on their own. So if the girl is not around 900 pounds plus at a minimum, I do not breed her.

In all honesty if you can wait until they are at that weight or nearly 18 months then you would be good to go on this place.

I am certain you will get a lot of opinions and each one works for the person who gives you theirs.

No matter how you do it they need to be fed enough to grow as well as develop a calf. Hope it all goes well for you.

Best to you

L
You must have bigger cattle than I have. Some of my 2 year olds dont weigh 900. I do breed at 15 months unless really small. One of my most productive cows is a Jersey cross dairy that only weighs 800. She will be 4 in march and should calve for the third time in March. plus the first 2 years she raised 2 other calves each year. Her first calf is also going to calve this March. She is beef shorthorn plus. She is also around 800. My biggest cow is about 1300 beefmaster.
It would appear to be so. Our cattle have to make it through living outside in snow and cold and we have developed them to the point they can take any weather. I would be surprised if we have any adult cattle that are under 1200 pounds. My best.

greggy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by greggy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:33 am

Redgully wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:49 pm
Its not very expensive if you have an A.I. tech close by. A straw will cost you $10-$30. You can pick old bulls up from semex for $8. Work on 1.5 straws a cow for misses. Now if you have a tech close by, maybe a proffesional, vet or farmer who does his own, they usually charge $10 to $50 a cow. If you are good at heat detection then can do each one as they come in. If you are not interested in heat detection can run a hormone program and do timed A.I. all at the same time. A hormone program will cost you anywhere from $25 to $100 a cow depending on how much you can do yourself. You will need to put cidrs in, do injections and remove cidrs, if you can do all that at the times the tech says then will save money on them traveling to do it. Cidrs are roughly $15 each but i use them twice. Injections are about $5 a shot and you may need two, i used one, shot per cow. I am a really small producer so for me i just heat detect and don't do any of the hormone stuff so just costs me the price of the straw and i feel i get a better take. For you it is going to come down to how close an A.I. guy is.

Oh...gawd....that is helpful.... :clap:

The young lass I spoke to was talking thousands.....

You know, I think I can tell when cycling...or take a guess....my jersey cross acts like a bull with anyone active....I believe that...she will try and mount sniff etc and turn lips up....just like rams do when ewes are ready....

May not be foolproof, but....hey...

What signs can I look for....I get real close to them most days...I have not noticed any discharge or swelling etc
....if I am to compare some other species.....

I am willing to give this method a go......I am not going to lose any hair for any that do not get bred...

Dsth
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Dsth » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:25 am

I breed mine around 15 months. I have noticed that when a heifer has her first calf around 3 years of age they seem lazy and do not do a good job of raising a calf. I agree with Redgully and would AI so you can select calving ease bulls and breed to different breeds based on breed of the heifers. I would also synchronize so they could breed as a group and calf in a closer window.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Post by Lucky_P » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:56 am

On average, pelvic bone sutures fuse at around 27 months. If you can get them bred and calved out before that time, there's a little more 'wiggle room' available for getting a calf through the birth canal; probably not all that big a deal if you're using a low birthweight/calving ease bull.
We rarely had Angus-influenced females cycling reliably at 15 months (Simmental heifers would be cycling at 6-8 months!), so we usually held all our heifers to 17-18 months before breeding.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:48 am

Signs to look for are standing and letting others ride her. If she runs when they try to mount her she is not in standing heat or the cow trying to do the mounting is the one in heat. A clear mucus discharge is a sign she is in heat but can be early or late. If you see a blood discharge she was in heat a day or two prior. Standing heat is your best indicator, when i see a cow standing i breed a few hours later but even when i have no time i breed them then and there and have good results too.

greggy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by greggy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:54 am

Sounds good....I am able to observe......can a mature steer play any role....however they run with the heifers atm.

Dsth
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Dsth » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:27 am

the only time I have a steer run with the cows is one that I plan on filling the freezer with at a later date, but they seem to have a good interest in cows that are in heat. My feeling is that the more options for other cattle to ride cows in heat, the more likely to catch standing heats.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:29 am

greggy wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:54 am
Sounds good....I am able to observe......can a mature steer play any role....however they run with the heifers atm.
Yes. Think teenage boys. And they still think they got game.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:36 pm

Breed at 14 to 15 months, they get 35 to 40 days with bulls to decide if they want to stay or not. Open heifers weigh 780 to 920 after a 220 mile haul and a few hours standing at the sale yard. Lots of open and thin 2 year olds will barely weigh 950 with the same weigh conditions.Hardest two years of a cow’s life.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)