Fencing with Feedlot Panels

The place to start if you are new!
bigbluegrass
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Fencing with Feedlot Panels

Post by bigbluegrass » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:17 pm

I haven't been on in awhile, but this discussion perked my interest. I have a fence that runs along a backroad highway. The road curves, so my fence curves. I have had a heck of a time keeping the fence tight, since it pulls the posts over. Right now it is wood posts about every 24' with two T posts between wood posts. It is barbed wire, 5 strand. It holds cows ok, but a car went through it last year and tore it up. I am trying to find a good way to keep the fence tight. I could put an H brace corner post every 50 feet of so and run shorter straight sections. It wouldn't follow the road exactly like it does now, but would stay tighter. I was also thinking I could use the cattle panels, which don't need to be pulled tight. Also, if a car runs through it maybe I will just need to replace a cattle panel or two and a few posts rather than try to repair a larger section of wire. I think it might be safer for cars that run off the road also. Thoughts?

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle." - Plato

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something" - Plato

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:51 pm

I would not worry about whats best for the cars.....

if it is not straight, prob need stays everywhere, or, make straight sections, if it is not a long section, maybe timber posts and rails and can put netting inside if you have small stock as well.

If using the portable style panels, what would concern me is people deciding to take them....

MudHog
Rancher
Rancher

Post by MudHog » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:54 pm

Along the road, the feedlot panels will be more work. There is a fence down from me exactly as you describe, but it is also across from a T intersection. There are 3 patch jobs now. I wouldn't use the feedlot panels next to a road because of the work it would require to repair.
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Post by M.Magis » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:29 am

I think bigbluegrass's thought regarding using them along the road is that patching holes from cars would be easier. And I think he's probably right, though I have no experience myself. But wouldn't replacing damaged posts and panels be faster than replacing posts, splicing wire, and restretching everything?

bigbluegrass
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by bigbluegrass » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:33 pm

M.Magis wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:29 am
I think bigbluegrass's thought regarding using them along the road is that patching holes from cars would be easier. And I think he's probably right, though I have no experience myself. But wouldn't replacing damaged posts and panels be faster than replacing posts, splicing wire, and restretching everything?
Thanks M.Magis, that is pretty much one of the points I was trying to make. I have only had one car go through the fence, but it stretched out the barbed wire a long way on both sides of where it went through the fence. Most of the wire 50 foot on either side was trashed. I was thinking a cattle panel would only require replacing a panel or two and some posts. Either way, I will need to replace posts.

There is a place I drive past frequently that has a nice board fence. He is fixing it all of the time from cars going through it.

I don't necessarily want to fence the cars out. I am just hoping to make it safer - for cars and cows.

The other benefit I see is that the cattle panels won't pull the posts over time like wire will. I do realize I can put a bunch of stays or braces. Things to consider.
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle." - Plato

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something" - Plato