castration in muddy conditions?

The place to start if you are new!
Post Reply
TLM1988
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:08 am
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 4 times

castration in muddy conditions?

Post by TLM1988 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:23 am

Whats everyones thought on castrating bull calves in muddy conditions? I have 10 that weigh around 350-400 that im wanting to do but afraid of them getting infection from the wet enviroment. thoughts??? advice??



TLM1988
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:08 am
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: castration in muddy conditions?

Post by TLM1988 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:23 am

plan to knife cut

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9929
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 711 times

Re: castration in muddy conditions?

Post by kenny thomas » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:23 am

Only issue I usually see is tetnus. Make sure they are vaccinated correctly.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 960 times
Been thanked: 600 times

Re: castration in muddy conditions?

Post by sstterry » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:42 am

kenny thomas wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:23 am
Only issue I usually see is tetnus. Make sure they are vaccinated correctly.
And make sure they are vaccinated correctly Before you castrate them! Not at the time of.

User avatar
ChrisB
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1310
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:45 am
Location: MN
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: castration in muddy conditions?

Post by ChrisB » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:33 am

TLM1988 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:23 am
plan to knife cut
Is this because of the muddy conditions or just personal preference?

TLM1988
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:08 am
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: castration in muddy conditions?

Post by TLM1988 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:59 am

Personal preference. They were worked when I received. Covexin 8 is part of my vaccination protocol. I’ve never cut when it’s been this wet. And have no experience with banding.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15729
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 1213 times
Been thanked: 1463 times

Re: castration in muddy conditions?

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:23 pm

TLM1988 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:59 am
Personal preference. They were worked when I received. Covexin 8 is part of my vaccination protocol. I’ve never cut when it’s been this wet. And have no experience with banding.
I'd wait until it dries out some if you're concerned.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

TLM1988
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:08 am
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: castration in muddy conditions?

Post by TLM1988 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:48 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:23 pm
TLM1988 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:59 am
Personal preference. They were worked when I received. Covexin 8 is part of my vaccination protocol. I’ve never cut when it’s been this wet. And have no experience with banding.
I'd wait until it dries out some if you're concerned.

I believe I will wait it out. Prices get to looking up it gets my mind running

Post Reply