Buying Calves

The place to start if you are new!
pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Buying Calves

Post by pricefarm » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:44 pm

Iam getting ready to start buying some calves 4-5 weights. Plan to buy steers but there may be a few bull calves bought as well. These will be coming from the market. Here is what I plan to give them when they are unloaded at my farm

Inforce3, Presponse, Alpha 7 , Dectomax, and Ralgro

Is there anything else or any other brand of vacation that you would recommend over what I plan to use?
Also on the bull calves I plan to just knife cut them , would you do it the first day or wait a few weeks ?

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Buying Calves

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:54 pm

I band my bull calves when they are 6-8 weeks old. Why knife cut?

I am in Canada so brands don't carry over but I use Inforce3 and Covexin 8. Or any 8 way. I give vitamin A&D and selenium to my sickly ones.

jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:21 pm

Having banded some and knife cut others I think the knife cut leaves them in discomfort for a shorter period of time. I've also never had an issue with one that I cut but I had two get some kind of infection after banding with a callicrate (and to compound things I've cut a significant number more than I've banded). I'm sure the infections were probably a result of user error but the knife has always seemed simpler to me.

Edit: Also, if you band you don't have the option to make calf fries...don't cheat yourself.

To answer the original question about when to do it, I would let them settle in for a week or two so there's not additional stress potentially complicating things.

I like Cattlemaster Gold and I think that would replace the Inforce3 and cover more, but that may just be personal preference or a result of me not doing enough reading before posting.

Buck Randall
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Buck Randall » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:54 pm

The only thing you're missing from that vaccine protocol is BVD protection. If you're getting calves from a sale barn or mixing cattle from multiple farms, you'll need that. I would substitute One Shot BVD for Presponse to fill that gap. I'd wait around 3 weeks before cutting them to give them time to develop some immunity from the vaccines and reduce their stress levels.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:28 pm

Buck Randall wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:54 pm
The only thing you're missing from that vaccine protocol is BVD protection. If you're getting calves from a sale barn or mixing cattle from multiple farms, you'll need that. I would substitute One Shot BVD for Presponse to fill that gap. I'd wait around 3 weeks before cutting them to give them time to develop some immunity from the vaccines and reduce their stress levels.
Thank you Buck.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:37 pm

I have a bunch on feed that size that have already been worked. Give me .10 over market and save the trouble. Lol
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:12 pm

re banding, I do not think it bothers them at all....did one this am, he only held his tail down when being touched & that is cause he is not used to contact...

I have done them while drinking milk before, banding, nor needles have them stop on the teat for even a second, needles bother them more IMO.

If you want to see bother, watch a lamb after tail banded.

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Post by pricefarm » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:46 am

greggy wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:12 pm
re banding, I do not think it bothers them at all....did one this am, he only held his tail down when being touched & that is cause he is not used to contact...

I have done them while drinking milk before, banding, nor needles have them stop on the teat for even a second, needles bother them more IMO.

If you want to see bother, watch a lamb after tail banded.
I agree banding a calf a few days old they don’t really pay no attention to it but banding a 500 pound calf is alittle different.

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:49 am

The one I did today was about 250....not done 500....would be too big then...for my bands !

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:12 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:37 pm
I have a bunch on feed that size that have already been worked. Give me .10 over market and save the trouble. Lol
If I was buying, I'd give you that .10, over avg market price.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:16 pm

snoopdog wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:12 pm
kenny thomas wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:37 pm
If I was buying, I'd give you that .10, over avg market price.
I buy the thin calves in the fall and add some of my own off of cows I buy. Get the cows looking better and sell most of them and feed the calves. Got 50 on feed now. Hand feeding so I pay attention to them better. Plus free choice hay.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:26 pm

That's a good plan, I think. Especially the way this market is, of course depending on cost. I like buying them with the frame, in my opinion that's the money on grass calves.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:38 pm

snoopdog wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:26 pm
That's a good plan, I think. Especially the way this market is, of course depending on cost. I like buying them with the frame, in my opinion that's the money on grass calves.
I should add. Most of the bought calves cost 20-70 cents in the fall. A few cost 1.00 weighing less than 300lb.
I could sell now with a big weight gain and a lot higher price. Gonna hold till March I think

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:43 pm

Everyone laughs as I buy and I laugh all the way to the bank when I sell.
Earlier this fall I bought an Angus/Jersey cross steer weighing 740 for 60. No other bids. 4 weeks later sold him private sale weighing 820 for 1.00. I knew the calf had been in the barn for a week so I got lots of weight gain really quick.
That's $380 profit in a month with maybe $40 in expense.

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Post by pricefarm » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:50 am

kenny thomas wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:38 pm
snoopdog wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:26 pm
I should add. Most of the bought calves cost 20-70 cents in the fall. A few cost 1.00 weighing less than 300lb.
I could sell now with a big weight gain and a lot higher price. Gonna hold till March I think
How does the small 300 lb calves do? A man has 16 calves around 300 lbs pounds all black for 300$ each. He said they where pull off cull cows a few days ago. Will they grow ? What kind of feed do you feed yours ?