Corn

The place to start if you are new!
Post Reply
User avatar
alisonb
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5225
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:37 am
Location: South Africa
Has thanked: 348 times
Been thanked: 309 times

Corn

Post by alisonb » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:30 am

An interesting article on feeding corn -
https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/publications/li ... eef-cattle

Bypass protein at 65%, that's higher than I thought.

"The protein in corn is approximately 65 percent escape or bypass protein. Escape protein is protein that is not fermented or degraded by the ruminal microorganisms, but is digested and absorbed by the animal in the small intestine. The remaining 35 percent of the protein in corn is rumen-degradable protein. Ruminal microorganisms require rumen-degradable protein for use in growth and protein synthesis."


Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:24 am
Location: Karragullen, Western Australia
Has thanked: 527 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: Corn

Post by Redgully » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:50 am

Similar to lupins i would guess.

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5222
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 512 times

Re: Corn

Post by sim.-ang.king » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:32 am

Corn is an energy source, and should be used as such. Any of the protein that does get used is just a freebie.
Some like to use high protein corn, or other higher protein grains, but the body consumes energy when it converts protein to energy. So you might as well use the plain #2 dent yellow corn.
Socialism: Making everyone equally poor since 1917

greggy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:35 am
Location: Land down under
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Corn

Post by greggy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:56 am

That is provided diet has enough protien

I always thought of corn and most vegies as carbs...or sugar....

If I want to add protien....I would go lupins....

So use a starch source and bring protien up by adding a percentage of lupin or other.

I do this with apple and lupin ground to a powder.....

Does corn present any problens for young calves if fed 70% of diet and 30 of roughage ?

Post Reply