Sale barn or ?

The place to start if you are new!
Ga_Hillbilly
Beginner
Beginner

Sale barn or ?

Post by Ga_Hillbilly » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:49 pm

Hey y'all. I'm new to the board.. Tried using search as much as I could and coulsnt find the answer...

I've been around cows my whole life.. But my family always sold and bought at the sale barn... That being said I don't want that.. I'd like to hit a better market than the sale barn... But. I have no idea where to start

Some people tell me farm bred cows are overated that I can get just as good cows at sale barns... Is this true??

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Sale barn or ?

Post by TCRanch » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:08 pm

Whether that statement is true is subjective and depends entirely on your operation and expectations.

For many operations that works but you have to be a savvy buyer with a well trained eye. Buy an older bred cow, calve her out, sell the cow, keep the calf or maybe even hang on to her another year.

We bought our first bred coming 3 year old cattle private treaty (still have one, bless her ancient heart) and every other cow has been born/raised here. Only purchase has been registered bulls and most have also been private treaty. The cows I send to the sale barn usually have a health issue and I specify cull/slaughter but I have sold some very nice bred cows because I wanted to get back to spring calving only. But go back to my last statement: there's a reason cows end up at the sale barn and not everyone provides a history so quite often you're buying someone else's problem or sick cow. Biosecurity!

Okay, that's my :2cents: Someone that regularly buys from a sale barn will surely chime in.

greggy
GURU
GURU

Post by greggy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:15 pm

I am not in your country, but at sales here, there is very good animals to choose from, what I do not like is....

totally unknown history usually...
been in a place with god knows what bugs etc
they are usually in 10s, 20s, 30s....plus I like to pick and choose and get 1s, 2s, or 5

Others like the last part, as they are commercial or have a lot of land, so they want to stock up quickly.

Money wise, you can prob get similar or maybe better money here, but it is a lot of mucking around, and same, sales are usually 1s, 2s etc, but some advertise mobs.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:11 pm

Look for herd sell outs at the larger barns. The cows there are usually being sold for reasons where the cow is not the problem.

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by T & B farms » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:23 am

I am not a sale barn cow fan. To many dishonest people. I’m sure you can pick up some good cows here and there, but you really have to know what your doing. I recently picked up another large pasture, so I’ve been buying some cows as I find them. Last week my local barn had 2 “complete herd sell outs” I ended up getting 2 lots bought for a pretty decent price I thought. Got home and started looking them over, one group had 3 different freeze brands on them. Kind of makes you mad. I’ve had the opportunity to lie about some cattle and it would have made me quite a bit more money, I just can’t do it.
My hope is these cows will be good enough to get my by for a couple years until I have something of my own to replace them. My genetics sure aren’t perfect, but I have a hard time finding something that preform like they do under my management.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Post by M.Magis » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:10 am

Just an option to look into, our local sale barn holds "back to farm" and "replacement female" consignment sales several times each year. Cows are vet checked, etc... I've bought a lot of cows through those sales and all have worked out so far.

Dsth
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Dsth » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:40 am

When I switched from dairy to beef, I bought most of my first cows from the sale barn. Some were from private treaty sales. Sale barn cows were from bred cow/heifer sales and not a regular weekly sale. Cows from weekly sale around here are generally cull cows only. I had some sale barn cows do really good for me , but some not so good. Same could be said for private treaty cows and heifers; although private treaty cows had a better success rate. my advise would be to plan ahead to where you want to be in 5 - 10 years and plan accordingly. My plan was just to have enough cows to keep my pastures grazed down and looked forward to making my own improvements through AI. Herd is where I want to be right now.

kerley
GURU
GURU

Post by kerley » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:48 pm

Ga_Hillbilly wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:49 pm
Hey y'all. I'm new to the board.. Tried using search as much as I could and coulsnt find the answer...

I've been around cows my whole life.. But my family always sold and bought at the sale barn... That being said I don't want that.. I'd like to hit a better market than the sale barn... But. I have no idea where to start

Some people tell me farm bred cows are overated that I can get just as good cows at sale barns... Is this true??
I believe all Barn sold calves are Farm born.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:30 pm

bird dog wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:11 pm
Look for herd sell outs at the larger barns. The cows there are usually being sold for reasons where the cow is not the problem.
Good answer! And we've had a number of dispersal sales around here recently.

To the OP: You might contact your local sale barn or check to see if they have consignment/dispersal sales listed on their website. Or word of mouth.

MurraysMutts
Rancher
Rancher

Post by MurraysMutts » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:35 pm

All good advice up there....

U may pay a premium buying off the farm, but usually they turn out better in the long run I think. And theres not the big rush of a sale barn. Gives ya time to scrutinize the situation b4 u buy!!

Barns are ok. But ya gotta know what to look for. And even then, meh...
Crossbred for high bread vinegar....

Ga_Hillbilly
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Ga_Hillbilly » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:58 pm

I thank each and everyone of you for replying and your time

Heres my big delima on my head... Lets say I start with real good private party cows... Breed to a real good bull... Where would I then sale those calfs and yearlings other than the sale barn? Would it be a private treaty or can I sale direct to a feed lot

MurraysMutts
Rancher
Rancher

Post by MurraysMutts » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:57 pm

Wherever u can get the most money...
Crossbred for high bread vinegar....

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:31 pm

If buying cattle at the salebarn try to find a herd sell out. When buying a group of cows private treaty ask the seller how long they’ve been together, good chance they’re put together through the salebarn. Try to avoid cows with several brands.

When selling calves you are limited to markets by the number you have. Most pasture buyers want a truck load. I know a few people that peddle them one at a time and make more money but it seems like a real pain to me.

Good luck and remember good cows produce good calves and good calves bring good money. Breed the kind of calves that bring the most money in your area.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:46 pm

Ga_Hillbilly wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:58 pm
I thank each and everyone of you for replying and your time

Heres my big delima on my head... Lets say I start with real good private party cows... Breed to a real good bull... Where would I then sale those calfs and yearlings other than the sale barn? Would it be a private treaty or can I sale direct to a feed lot
I've sold private treaty but it's harder now that the PC Police monitor everything online - and generally ban/delete it. Plus you have to deal with tire kickers and maybe/maybe not payment or no-show, change of mind, etc. Word of mouth is good. Talk to your local sale barn. Ours will advertise early consignments, especially when they're fully vaccinated & weaned, heifers guaranteed open.

Ga_Hillbilly
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Ga_Hillbilly » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:39 pm

Awesome y'all.. I owe y'all more than I can give.. Knowledge is more valuable than gold.. I hope y'all have a great year and god bless

Thanks again