The place to start if you are new!
wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: hiding calves!

Post by wbvs58 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:50 am

76 Bar wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:31 pm
I could write a book on how clever cows can be at hiding their new borns. 8) Had a great Kelpie who could scour big pastures find the calf & go on point without disturbing mother or calf. Dearly missed.
Yep, that's a kelpie. My Bo was like that, she just knew. She knew when there was a new calf around, she knew when wood ducks had ducklings (duck marshmallows), she only chased a roo if there was something wrong with it like injured, she had an amazing sense to suss out the weak ones. If there were pigs around Bo would know and find them.

Ken

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Post by alisonb » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:34 am

wbvs58 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:50 am
76 Bar wrote:
I could write a book on how clever cows can be at hiding their new borns. 8) Had a great Kelpie who could scour big pastures find the calf & go on point without disturbing mother or calf. Dearly missed.
Yep, that's a kelpie. My Bo was like that, she just knew. She knew when there was a new calf around, she knew when wood ducks had ducklings (duck marshmallows), she only chased a roo if there was something wrong with it like injured, she had an amazing sense to suss out the weak ones. If there were pigs around Bo would know and find them.

Ken
How is Ellie getting along Ken, she must be a big girl now?
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:40 am

alisonb wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:34 am
wbvs58 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:50 am
76 Bar wrote:

Ken
How is Ellie getting along Ken, she must be a big girl now?
Alison, yes she is about full size now in the body, the brain has a bit of maturing to do yet, no real problem just not full on obedient yet but we are working on it. She is just coming out of that silly stage and starting to work out that it can be cool to do as she is told just like any teenage daughter. As far as her work with cattle goes I am very happy with her, she seems to want to gather them and seems to work with me and looks to me for direction.
I'll have a group of calves to wean shortly so will be her next lot of training.
I'll get some photos shortly.

Ken

Khoisan
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Khoisan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:53 pm

When I started off I didn't know that heifers would leave the herd to calf - took me half a day to find her in a bushy area with tall grass, about two km from the rest.Very glad on finding her, I started to get her back to the others, just to discover that she had calved - it took five to flush out the calf - two days later!

okiek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by okiek » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:46 am

You've received some good replies. I have had cows that could hide a calf in an asphalt parking lot!!! Had a friend sell an old cow once because he thought she aborted. After he hauled the cow to town an orphan calf showed up!!! Watch momma's bag. if it aint swollen way more than usual, that baby is nursing and fine somewhere.

Adam Freeman
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Adam Freeman » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:03 pm

We had one hide her calf. My wife was out in the pasture and came across it the cows were on the other side of the pasture so she was worried and tried to approach it the sucker took off and ran into the neighbor's pasture and the wife lost sight of it. We thought we were never going to find that little calf but 3 days later there she was call her lucky now as the yotes didn't get to her after she ran off. Lesson of the day don't approach them if they are alone and scared.

spartacus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by spartacus » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:20 pm

We have lost several calves this year after mommas got them out of hiding.

One died in birth with mom (birthed overnight and both dead in morning, obviously not after hiding)
One was doing great and then the next day dead in the middle of a field.

Now we have a 2 day old that is sooooo skinny and momma tries to feed but he just can’t seem to figure it out. And momma is leaving him in wide open space in broad daylight 100deg days (he is a black
Baldie). Not sure whether I should just leave them alone or try and catch and bottle feed the little bugger. I can’t afford to keep losing calves.

A.J.
GURU
GURU

Post by A.J. » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:00 am

spartacus wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:20 pm

One died in birth with mom (birthed overnight and both dead in morning, obviously not after hiding)

Now we have a 2 day old that is sooooo skinny and momma tries to feed but he just can’t seem to figure it out. And momma is leaving him in wide open space in broad daylight 100deg days (he is a black
Baldie). Not sure whether I should just leave them alone or try and catch and bottle feed the little bugger. I can’t afford to keep losing calves.
Sorry to hear about the bad run you’ve had. If in doubt I would get the calf up and try to get it to take a bottle. If it won’t take the bottle I would tube it. If it’s really skinny and you haven’t seen it latch on and nurse I would be afraid it didn’t get colostrum and may heading for more issues and might be dehydrated as well.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:53 am

spartacus wrote:

You need better cows, if I have to assist one it’s a cull!
If she can’t raise me a live calf every 12 months without my help she is a cull.
Might want to read up on Tom Lassiter philosophy on raising cattle.
I run sale-barn cattle.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:51 am

spartacus wrote:

you got a serious dehydration issue on your hands if it's not nursing well, and even if it is, when they're too young to know how to drink water, these hot days aren't good for them. I'd probably water down any milk replacer I give them to about 1/2 concentration and add some electrolytes
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

spartacus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by spartacus » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:13 am

God blessed us with a couple cool days and some rain and momma started staying with her baby more and he is looking a lot better.