The place to start if you are new!
wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: hiding calves!

Post by wbvs58 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:50 am

76 Bar wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:31 pm
I could write a book on how clever cows can be at hiding their new borns. 8) Had a great Kelpie who could scour big pastures find the calf & go on point without disturbing mother or calf. Dearly missed.
Yep, that's a kelpie. My Bo was like that, she just knew. She knew when there was a new calf around, she knew when wood ducks had ducklings (duck marshmallows), she only chased a roo if there was something wrong with it like injured, she had an amazing sense to suss out the weak ones. If there were pigs around Bo would know and find them.

Ken

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Post by alisonb » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:34 am

wbvs58 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:50 am
76 Bar wrote:
I could write a book on how clever cows can be at hiding their new borns. 8) Had a great Kelpie who could scour big pastures find the calf & go on point without disturbing mother or calf. Dearly missed.
Yep, that's a kelpie. My Bo was like that, she just knew. She knew when there was a new calf around, she knew when wood ducks had ducklings (duck marshmallows), she only chased a roo if there was something wrong with it like injured, she had an amazing sense to suss out the weak ones. If there were pigs around Bo would know and find them.

Ken
How is Ellie getting along Ken, she must be a big girl now?
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:40 am

alisonb wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:34 am
wbvs58 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:50 am
76 Bar wrote:

Ken
How is Ellie getting along Ken, she must be a big girl now?
Alison, yes she is about full size now in the body, the brain has a bit of maturing to do yet, no real problem just not full on obedient yet but we are working on it. She is just coming out of that silly stage and starting to work out that it can be cool to do as she is told just like any teenage daughter. As far as her work with cattle goes I am very happy with her, she seems to want to gather them and seems to work with me and looks to me for direction.
I'll have a group of calves to wean shortly so will be her next lot of training.
I'll get some photos shortly.

Ken