Ear Tagging

The place to start if you are new!
greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Ear Tagging

Post by greggy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:29 am

Thats the aim of the game :)

So do you use sharpie or similar after engraving ?

FarmerShell
Rancher
Rancher

Post by FarmerShell » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:38 am

I tried to pierce a few time... I couldn't do it. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I tried really hard just couldn't bring myself to do it. How do you get passed this feeling of hurting the cows? I know the new ear tag aka ear rings look just so stinking cute but how do you get over the ๐Ÿคข๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿ˜ข part. My neighbor came to help us he was an ear piercing pro... pop pop pop. I'm looking at him like ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ฑ I'm guess that just wasn't meant to me my job in life. My โค hurts for them. I can watch doesn't bother me just can't do it myself.

FarmerShell
Rancher
Rancher

Post by FarmerShell » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:40 am

greggy wrote: โ†‘
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:29 am

I saw a pen by the tags at our Rural King. Guess its supposed to be some special pen. Google it maybe that help. ;) Google that ๐Ÿคฌ ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคฃ if that don't work ask an old farmer. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:49 am

I do not want to buy a special pen that they sell at rural stores here too, if it is just another permanent marker....but at 10 x the normal price.

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Post by Redgully » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:56 am

Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:49 am
I do not want to buy a special pen that they sell at rural stores here too, if it is just another permanent marker....but at 10 x the normal price.
They are better, last a lot longer. Like a paint pen rather than a permanent marker.

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Post by Redgully » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:59 am

FarmerShell wrote: โ†‘
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:38 am
I tried to pierce a few time... I couldn't do it. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I tried really hard just couldn't bring myself to do it. How do you get passed this feeling of hurting the cows? I know the new ear tag aka ear rings look just so stinking cute but how do you get over the ๐Ÿคข๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿ˜ข part. My neighbor came to help us he was an ear piercing pro... pop pop pop. I'm looking at him like ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ฑ I'm guess that just wasn't meant to me my job in life. My โค hurts for them. I can watch doesn't bother me just can't do it myself.
Personally i feel if i am in control i can do the best and most painless job for that animal. I don't want anyone else doing it.

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:39 am

Redgully wrote: โ†‘
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:56 am
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:49 am
They are better, last a lot longer. Like a paint pen rather than a permanent marker.
Ah ha.....you should get a job selling in a rural store....no one every mentioned anything like that to me ever ....

Kaleb
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Kaleb » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:00 am

The Ritchey tags he has are dual layered tags. So when he uses a Dremel to engrave his numbers, he is exposing the black under-layer of the tag. Therefore the letters will not fade like a tag that has printed numbers or hot stamped.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:07 am

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:23 pm
TCRanch wrote: โ†‘
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:14 pm
My calves are tagged generally day 1 (along with spraying their umbilical cord, First Defense & now Inforce 3). My numbering system is a cluster that only I understand but matches the dam. Heifers left ear, bull calves right (they're steered when we work them in May). Tags are color coded; each year the calves of the first calf heifers get a different color. Calf number, DOB, name (yes, I name them) and TCR on the back of the tags juuuuust in case one somehow gets in a neighbors pasture & they know who to call. No apps. I'm old school and write everything down on a notepad, subsequently Excel.

I've tried every marker on the market and aside from using a Dremel they're gonna eventually fade.
So you use dremel and then marker on top....i think allflex tags too soft for dremel ?

And how does the sharpie brand markers go...as good as any other ?

You can get them laser done down here too...but the ones I did on some colours were already hard to read after a few days of dust on them....albeit are sheep tags so much smaller...marker good on cattle tags that are 1 and 2 year old...but I did not do those tags :)
No Dremel, I just replace them every few years. But it does seem the marker doesn't fade as much on yellow & orange tags.

Dsth
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Dsth » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:24 am

I calf in the winter time so my cows calf inside my old dairy barn. calves get tags within the first three days. bull calves usually get banded at the time the tags go in. Heifers get an Allflex prenumbered tag and bull calves get a blank tag with birth date written on. each calf's ID is written in my AI breeding chart that has cow and sire listed.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:51 am

The Richie engraveable tags have a different colour of plastic in the center of the tag that is exposed by the dremmel tool so there is no need to use a marker, and the will not fade ever.

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:17 am

FarmerShell wrote: โ†‘
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:38 am
I am with the others, would rather do them myself, cant be any worse than kids that get ears pierced....

I have not done many cattle, and was through existing holes, so , yeah, cheating :)

But I must be one of very few who has 3 different cattle ear tag applicators....lol....that was a bit of a mistake though, but I have 2 really good expensive taggers now after buying a Chinese piece of rubbish that fell apart as soon as opened, will see how they go, but one has the movable pin in case ones moves quickly, the other is an auto retract one, I will put them to good use soon :)

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:22 am

Silver wrote: โ†‘
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:51 am

The Richie engraveable tags have a different colour of plastic in the center of the tag that is exposed by the dremmel tool so there is no need to use a marker, and the will not fade ever.
So simple, yet such a good idea......

I got me a pen, I bet it wont cost that much even if I got them shipped, but years ago they used to charge US 30 bucks to post small items, will look into it, allflex tags are about 3 bucks each here ..

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Bcompton53 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:50 am

I moved from 2 piece ytex to 1 piece z tags and will never go back. We have much much better retention. Also, we write our numbers on the tags, and those numbers are visible long after the printed ytex numbers are gone. I'm not sure if I'm sold on our numbering system, but I haven't found a perfect system yet. calf number is 3 digits, first digit is the year of birth ie 2019 is "9", second two digits is the calf number in order of birth. first calf from 2019 is 901, second is 902 etc. Bulls get tagged in the left year (because most of the bulls "left" the farm, laugh all you want, that's how I remember it). heifers get tags in the Right ear. Also on the tag, above the calf number is the dam's number, and below is the sires name or initials, I also write the calf number low on the back side of the tag. I try to tag calves within a few weeks of birth, but that doesn't always happen.

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Post by littletom » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:08 pm

We tag the calves day they are born mine get blue my dads get white they run together. Use blank tags put cows number on calf with marker in the field. Those calves wear those tags through weaning couple weeks before weaned sale the ones in weaned sale get rfd tags. The heifers we are keeping keep those baby tags, until we pelvic measure them in late spring when they are 14-15 months old. If they measure they get there own number on a richie engrave tag. They ones that don't measure wear there baby tags to the sale barn. In the fall when we preg check the bred heifers are freeze branded with same number in there ear, lost tags we still have a number. My cows get a side ways 2 after there branded number. Dads only there ear number. I am Tom the second. We have tryed other ways keeping it simple works here.