The place to start if you are new!
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Ear Tagging

Post by Brute 23 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:23 pm

Bcompton53 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:50 am
I moved from 2 piece ytex to 1 piece z tags and will never go back. We have much much better retention. Also, we write our numbers on the tags, and those numbers are visible long after the printed ytex numbers are gone. I'm not sure if I'm sold on our numbering system, but I haven't found a perfect system yet. calf number is 3 digits, first digit is the year of birth ie 2019 is "9", second two digits is the calf number in order of birth. first calf from 2019 is 901, second is 902 etc. Bulls get tagged in the left year (because most of the bulls "left" the farm, laugh all you want, that's how I remember it). heifers get tags in the Right ear. Also on the tag, above the calf number is the dam's number, and below is the sires name or initials, I also write the calf number low on the back side of the tag. I try to tag calves within a few weeks of birth, but that doesn't always happen.
I agree. We went to the ztags also and have lost very few. I put a number in the right ear and the brand with phone numbers in the left. If I need to fill in a few odd balls I use the marker and just write it in. I have some that are pushing 5 years and I can still read them clear as day. I started drawing our brand on the back on the numbered tags also with the marker. I figure the more identification the better. :)

Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

sme.misfit.farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by sme.misfit.farms » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:06 pm

Don't know if our system is right or not, or even efficient.
Fullbloods/Purebreds get a blue tag
Commercial/Crossbred get a green tag.
Heifers left, bulls right.

All of our cows get a number assigned to them. The first one on the farm 00, next 02, etc.
First is the year and then the cow number. So right now I have 2000, 2001, 2002 on the ground and I'll write on the tag before I walk out the order they're born and year letter, 1H, 2H... I know it's repetitive but helps me keep things straight.

I also name the same alphabet line because we're small enough to do that :)

I haven't been giving replacement heifers a new number until they calve but I'll be changing that next year. As soon as they're confirmed pregnant they'll get their own number.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:09 pm

We had some calves come all the way through to weaning with tags last year, and weren’t positive what cow they were out of. That’s not supposed to happen this year. We share a google doc, anybody that tags one is supposed to record the cow, and the number calf that goes with it. Tagged a couple newbs this afternoon that there wasn’t a cow to claim. Looks like I was the first to shoot the plan in the foot. Maybe I can get it sorted out in the morning.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:16 am

Our cows get a number, with the first being the year they were born.. so this years heifers will be 0, like 010, 025.. THey also get a tattoo in their ear with the same # so that if a tag gets pulled off, they keep their #. So, that basically tells us anything we want to know about the cow.... how old she is. Anything written down about in the books her has her #. We've found that's all we need to know with the ear tag. We do use them in the fall to mark ones we plan to sell or are thinking about selling, we just mark over her #. Been using this method for over 40 years and works pretty good for us....
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kentuckyguy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:37 am

Seems like I remember someone on here saying if you put the write on tags in the microwave after writing it helped the ink stay on.

Anyone tried that?

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:22 am

kentuckyguy wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:37 am
Seems like I remember someone on here saying if you put the write on tags in the microwave after writing it helped the ink stay on.
Anyone tried that?
I VERY briefly zap the tags when I use the "ink in a squeeze bottle" product because it takes forever for that type of ink to dry and helps to embed it into the tag. Microwaves very in power so you need to be cautious. If you over do it you risk damaging the tag including permanently curling the edge and/or the integrity of the tag material. Save previously "blotched" tags for testing purposes.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:09 am

there is one brand that sucks and the number never stays on, then another it stays on forever. I can never remember between the two by name, but the bad one has the corners cut off and is not a square, the other is square.... the square one is the good one.. The ones rounded off curl, pick up dalis grass goo and the number wears off after about 6 months... if I can ever remember between the two by names i'll post it....
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:17 pm

sme.misfit.farms wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:06 pm
Don't know if our system is right or not, or even efficient.
Fullbloods/Purebreds get a blue tag
Commercial/Crossbred get a green tag.
Heifers left, bulls right.

All of our cows get a number assigned to them. The first one on the farm 00, next 02, etc.
First is the year and then the cow number. So right now I have 2000, 2001, 2002 on the ground and I'll write on the tag before I walk out the order they're born and year letter, 1H, 2H... I know it's repetitive but helps me keep things straight.

I also name the same alphabet line because we're small enough to do that :)

I haven't been giving replacement heifers a new number until they calve but I'll be changing that next year. As soon as they're confirmed pregnant they'll get their own number.
If it works for you that is all that matters anyway. :nod:
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Ky cowboy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:34 pm

I just tag calfs with ytex pre numbered tags heifer yellow steers orange. I quit trying to get them when they hit the ground. Get a few every time I feed in the corral. Wait and see what calf nurses what cow and start writing it down, I record when the cow calfs and brief descriptions then add tag # later.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:39 pm

Does anyone else tattoo the cows # in their ear?

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Ky cowboy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:56 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:39 pm
Does anyone else tattoo the cows # in their ear?
When I start to get more I'd like to add tattoos to ear tagging. But right now if 1 is missing it's pretty easy to figure out who she is.