What would you do?

The place to start if you are new!
Kcrozier
Beginner
Beginner

What would you do?

Post by Kcrozier » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:13 am

Hey All. I've been reading up and learning from everyone posting, so I'll start by saying thank you to all of you who take time to provide great responses and information, I've learned quite a bit just lurking around. I'm hoping to hear some opinions on my current options.

My FIL owns about 85 acres in central Tx. I'd say of that, 25 acres would be pretty poor cattle pasture. Lots of terrain change, dry creek bed, thick bottom, and lots of rocky soil. Not much growing out there, but I could for sure be wrong about it being poor ground for cows. The rest of the place is probably half open pasture, johnson grass is the predominant grass in those areas. Thick trees, oak and cedar cover the other half, pasture and trees being mixed around pretty evenly throughout the place. There are some small pockets in the trees that grow grass, but it gets pretty thick in a lot of areas. This land has been rec. land. Four wheeler trails, couple feeders, some deer stands, etc. We have been kicking around the idea of running some cows out there. Where would you start? We have electric and water readily available. I don't know if the answer is to throw a handful of cows out there and learn by doing, or if I would be better served trying to make some pasture improvements and then bringing in some cows. My knee jerk instinct is to pick up some longhorn steers, or generally some "good buys" and sort of learn through experience. Anybody who started in a similar set up have some tips or tricks they'd use if they had to do it over?

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Re: What would you do?

Post by cowgal604 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:29 am

If it were me I would have someone lease the land off me for their cattle operation and maybe ask if I can buy a few and add them to their herd. Id watch them run their herd on my property for a few years and then take over when I felt ready.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:02 pm

Kcrozier wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:13 am
Hey All. I've been reading up and learning from everyone posting, so I'll start by saying thank you to all of you who take time to provide great responses and information, I've learned quite a bit just lurking around. I'm hoping to hear some opinions on my current options.

My FIL owns about 85 acres in central Tx. I'd say of that, 25 acres would be pretty poor cattle pasture. Lots of terrain change, dry creek bed, thick bottom, and lots of rocky soil. Not much growing out there, but I could for sure be wrong about it being poor ground for cows. The rest of the place is probably half open pasture, johnson grass is the predominant grass in those areas. Thick trees, oak and cedar cover the other half, pasture and trees being mixed around pretty evenly throughout the place. There are some small pockets in the trees that grow grass, but it gets pretty thick in a lot of areas. This land has been rec. land. Four wheeler trails, couple feeders, some deer stands, etc. We have been kicking around the idea of running some cows out there. Where would you start? We have electric and water readily available. I don't know if the answer is to throw a handful of cows out there and learn by doing, or if I would be better served trying to make some pasture improvements and then bringing in some cows. My knee jerk instinct is to pick up some longhorn steers, or generally some "good buys" and sort of learn through experience. Anybody who started in a similar set up have some tips or tricks they'd use if they had to do it over?
Have you owned cattle before?
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Kcrozier
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Kcrozier » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:30 pm

Thanks cowgal, sounds advice. Maybe I need to dig a little deeper into that!

Brute, I haven't. My cattle experience consists of being around them doing some roping and helping out with some steer projects in FFA in HS.

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:32 pm

Kcrozier wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:30 pm
Thanks cowgal, sounds advice. Maybe I need to dig a little deeper into that!

Brute, I haven't. My cattle experience consists of being around them doing some roping and helping out with some steer projects in FFA in HS.
I learned really fast that without proper cattle handling equipment things can go really wrong really fast. I would try and earn some money off the land for a few years and let them set up the land for cattle. That way its less of an investment for you up front. You can save the money you get for leasing the land and buy yourself some equipment well you build up your plans.

Kcrozier
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Kcrozier » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:50 pm

Super valid Cowgirl, help setting up the place would be nice. I'll have to do some research on general lease terms.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:13 pm

I like the idea of longhorn steers. Usually they are cheap. Have been handled so they are accustomed to people, takes minimal work to get them through the summer. Sell them to your buddies for lean grass fed beef in the fall. Go hunting all winter.
Most of the enjoyment of cattle is in the learning. Not a lot of profit in them for a small operation.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Kcrozier
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Kcrozier » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:33 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:13 pm
I like the idea of longhorn steers. Usually they are cheap. Have been handled so they are accustomed to people, takes minimal work to get them through the summer. Sell them to your buddies for lean grass fed beef in the fall. Go hunting all winter.
Most of the enjoyment of cattle is in the learning. Not a lot of profit in them for a small operation.
Appreciate your input. That was sort of my initial thought, but also like hearing other ideas. Maybe one day we will buy up some of neighbors places and it can be a different conversation. I sort of view this as an opportunity to hopefully make some improvements to my families place, put some beef in everyone's freezer, and get some hands on education.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:33 pm

I have worked Texas from the swamps in the east to the grasslands in the Southeast to the western plains to the Pala Duro Canyon in the north. What will work in one place will starve them in another. Some of your area won't run many head on 75 acres so try a few and see.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:59 pm

Cowgal has a good idea but not really feasible on your place. It might run 8 animal units at the most if its like you describe. Longhorns would probably be your best bet. You can buy them cheap, they can handle tough conditions and usually don't have calving problems. Buy the ones that have their horns cut short. Buy a cheap beef type sale barn bull to put on them in the spring and sell him off in the fall.

Little Joe
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Little Joe » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:01 pm

Sounds like a good setup for some cheap longhorn cows and cover them with a beef type bull, I bought 5 in the fall for $1900 that were bred to a black baldie bull. 2 have already calved, they are super low maintenance and gentle. A bucket of feed will take them anywhere. The ground you describe is the type of place a longhorn thrives, they're basically large goats. Calves just won't bring as much but as was mentioned above, finish the calves as lean beef and sell to friends.

Kcrozier
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Kcrozier » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:20 pm

Thanks everyone, appreciate your input. I'm guessing Longhorns will do as well as anything else at holding off yotes?

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:05 pm

Kcrozier wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:20 pm
Thanks everyone, appreciate your input. I'm guessing Longhorns will do as well as anything else at holding off yotes?
The yotes will be very weary of the longhorns. It must be bred into both of them to know what the horns are for.