Housing

The place to start if you are new!
chipsahoy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Housing

Post by chipsahoy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:51 pm

How would you house to cows? I live in southern nb Canada, so winter is a real thing. There are lots of people around here that leave their cattle out all winter, but they have tractors to move snow and feed them, and I do not have those things. That is why I want to keep them under a roof. They are beef/ dairy cross cows and will raise their calf and maybe an extra one each in the summer.

I can put them in ties, or a big pen with a fenceline feeder on one side, but o don't know how big a pen, or a little free stall to keep them cleaner or a little bedding pack set up. What have you tired? What works? What doesn't? What would you do?

chipsahoy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Housing

Post by chipsahoy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:20 pm

https://smallfarmersjournal.com/the-mil ... ion-floor/

I found an article about how they use to build a stanchion barn with wooden platforms and frame and steel stanchions. Maybe I can build something like this if I can find some steel stanchions.

chipsahoy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by chipsahoy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:34 pm

Or perhaps a set up like this oxen stall set up might work well for a couple of beef cows.

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:29 pm

chipsahoy wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:51 pm
How would you house to cows? I live in southern nb Canada, so winter is a real thing. There are lots of people around here that leave their cattle out all winter, but they have tractors to move snow and feed them, and I do not have those things. That is why I want to keep them under a roof. They are beef/ dairy cross cows and will raise their calf and maybe an extra one each in the summer.

I can put them in ties, or a big pen with a fenceline feeder on one side, but o don't know how big a pen, or a little free stall to keep them cleaner or a little bedding pack set up. What have you tired? What works? What doesn't? What would you do?
I’m from Canada. Personal opinion, if you don’t provide shelter to your animals through winter you’re savage. And that means a building with 3 sides and a roof that everyone has enough space in to turn around.

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:29 pm

Or really good treed coverage. That also works

chipsahoy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by chipsahoy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:36 pm

I am planning to provide shelter.

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:02 am

I know they need a wind break somewhere, but surely not everyone tries to bring them indoors ?

We do not get as cold here, but I think our weather is worse, cause it can be at or below freezing, raining and wet & blowing.....if it was 10 degrees colder all the time for long periods, it would be cold, but dryer....

Anyway, it knocks young lambs around, but they are pretty hardy & I expect cattle to do even better, unless your breeding cattle from the tropics in a cold or temperate env, they should handle it ok if they can get out of bad wind ?

PS OP, I think that is why there are not too many replies, I cannot see how people with hundreds or thousands of cattle could house them all indoor.

chipsahoy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by chipsahoy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:21 am

I guess there aren't any ranches in New brunswick. There are some dairy herds that have 3-400 but they are all housed inside freestall Barns. There are a some beef herds where they have a hundred or so cows one of them that I know of has no barn. Most big herds make their own forage so they have the "outdoor" equipment. For two cows I will be buying forage. Although it costs money to keep cows inside, it is difficult to keep cows out side when you use hand tools. I guess I will figure something out.

aprille218
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by aprille218 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:04 pm

A 3 sided shed/ barn with an attached pasture or corral would be good. If you keep the cows in a stall or inside a barn constantly they are more prone to respiratory issues and they can get a little rammy without an area to walk around. As long as you can get them feed and water the snow really isn't an issue if they are acclimated to it.

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Ridgefarmer63 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:47 pm

I have a three sided shed, open to the south. They also have a corral off the shed and a small area of pasture which goes up to the prevailing NW wind treeline. They seem happy. I can tell you when it gets cold and windy, they are ALL in the shed. The shed has cement two feet up on all three sides. I wish I had gone three or even four feet up. I let the manure build for quite a while until a wholesale cleaning with the tractor. Just keep adding sawdust along the way. I think a clearspan building /confinement barn would work nice also. The easier it is to clean, the better, IMO.

chipsahoy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by chipsahoy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:14 pm

What size run in shed and corral would be needed for two cows? If I have to go that way, I might not be able to keep them at all, but we will see.

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Post by cowboy43 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:37 pm

If you house them, what you feed them ( if only sack feed was available) it seems like the cost of feed would be more than the calf would bring. If it was profitable ,, why do not cattlemen dry lot there cows in warm areas.

chipsahoy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by chipsahoy » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:09 am

cowboy43 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:37 pm
If you house them, what you feed them ( if only sack feed was available) it seems like the cost of feed would be more than the calf would bring. If it was profitable ,, why do not cattlemen dry lot there cows in warm areas.
I would still feed hay and or silage in the winter, it would just be fed in the barn. That way I can roll the bales off the trailer into the barn. It is pretty hard to get round bales into a feeder outside if I don't have a tractor. They would be out to pasture in the summer time.

We don't have winter all year around. The ground might start freezing in Nov, and although we can get some snow and wind and freezing rain in November, lately we haven't had snow much before Christmas. Winter carries through then until April when we have a "mud season" with all the snow melting and rain and run off. Usually Cows go to pasture mid May, Farmers start cutting silage in Mid June, and hay in July. Early pastures kind of start drying up by September, but with rotational grazing or grazing the fresh grass on the hay ground, cows have pasture through the fall.

So it is only the months of December till May that I am concerned about housing. The rest of the time they would be in the pasture.

I guess the best thing to do would be to go visit a local fellow who keeps his cows inside in the winter and see how they do that.

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kickinbull » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:53 am

chipsahoy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:20 pm
https://smallfarmersjournal.com/the-mil ... ion-floor/

I found an article about how they use to build a stanchion barn with wooden platforms and frame and steel stanchions. Maybe I can build something like this if I can find some steel stanchions.
many years ago I visited a farm that had oak under the cows. It was nice for the cows. They never had any issues with swollen hocks like winter on concrete. But, the state inspector told them, it has to go. So the cows left.

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kickinbull » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:55 am

chipsahoy wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:21 am
I guess there aren't any ranches in New brunswick. There are some dairy herds that have 3-400 but they are all housed inside freestall Barns. There are a some beef herds where they have a hundred or so cows one of them that I know of has no barn. Most big herds make their own forage so they have the "outdoor" equipment. For two cows I will be buying forage. Although it costs money to keep cows inside, it is difficult to keep cows out side when you use hand tools. I guess I will figure something out.
if you’re buying feed, it will pay to have them inside in winter