Coyotes

The place to start if you are new!
FarmerShell
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Coyotes

Post by FarmerShell » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:11 am

https://www.wymt.com/content/news/Teena ... 88171.html

My heart breaks for this family. 😓 What do ya'll think the animal was? Coyotes, Cougar, etc.? I couldn't even imagine that happening to one of my children. I've read about coyotes killing small children before. Than also read stories where it turned out people killed their children trying to say it was coyotes. 😢😡 I can't understand people that would do something like that to a child or anybody for that matter.

FarmerShell
Rancher
Rancher

Post by FarmerShell » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:17 am

SBMF 2015
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by SBMF 2015 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:41 pm

Coyotes are a problem every where. We don't see a lot, but I see tracks all the time. I carry a rifle in the chore tractor. I've shot two while haying cows in the past year. The polar vortex last winter kind of put the hammer on them.
A local hunting club holds a coyote hunt every January. They killed 75 in a weekend.
There is a saying that "you don't argue with the neighbors dog" stray dogs that chase livestock seem to have a problem going home.
A rimfire will work. Any 22 center fire or deer rifle makes a great coyote stopper.
Never fear them, but ALWAYS respect them.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:44 pm

The dangers on the Appalachian trail are human not wildlife.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

BigBear56
Beginner
Beginner

Post by BigBear56 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:01 pm

farmguy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:25 pm
Some things I know. As a rule the farther north the larger coyotes and other animals tend to be. Second: coyotes will lure a dog off, surround and kill it, even large dogs. Third: coyotes will kill new born calves, especially those hid by their mother the first few days.
On your second point, I personally watched our farm dog run with yotes hundreds of times while we bailed hay. She would always follow us to the fields and she would more often than not run with coyotes while we stacked. When she saw the tractor leave the field she would turn back and follow us home. On the flip side, we would occasionally have a still born calf and not have enough time to get it buried that same day. The yotes would come right up in the barnyard and tear those carcasses up and our farm dog never left the doghouse.
I’m sure there are exceptions to the rule in most cases but the size of the coyotes I see are far above the average size of a typical coyotes. To some of the others points, they literally are the size of/look like German shepherds

SBMF 2015
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by SBMF 2015 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:02 pm

BigBear56 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:01 pm
farmguy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:25 pm
Some things I know. As a rule the farther north the larger coyotes and other animals tend to be. Second: coyotes will lure a dog off, surround and kill it, even large dogs. Third: coyotes will kill new born calves, especially those hid by their mother the first few days.
On your second point, I personally watched our farm dog run with yotes hundreds of times while we bailed hay. She would always follow us to the fields and she would more often than not run with coyotes while we stacked. When she saw the tractor leave the field she would turn back and follow us home. On the flip side, we would occasionally have a still born calf and not have enough time to get it buried that same day. The yotes would come right up in the barnyard and tear those carcasses up and our farm dog never left the doghouse.
I’m sure there are exceptions to the rule in most cases but the size of the coyotes I see are far above the average size of a typical coyotes. To some of the others points, they literally are the size of/look like German shepherds
Your coyote are probably coy dogs. 1/2 blood coyote dogs.
If your dog has "made friends" with them she probably doesn't see them as a threat.
I think probably more male dogs are killed by coyotes because they are perceived as an intruding male in the coyotes territory.
Never fear them, but ALWAYS respect them.

chaded
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by chaded » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:33 pm

I’ve seen a lot of coyotes in Ohio but never saw any that big. :shock:

WinterSpringsFarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by WinterSpringsFarm » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:51 am

chaded wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:33 pm
I saw one last spring planting corn and it was so big I figured it was a German Shepard. When I got closer to it I realized it was a coyote......I about crapped my pants.

BigBear56
Beginner
Beginner

Post by BigBear56 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:52 am

chaded wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:33 pm
I’ve been within 50 yds of 2 that size in the last 2 hunting seasons. Missed one on the trot and the other came in too fast for me to pull back.

I wonder if it’s my proximity to Columbus ie more stray dogs? I grew up in north central Ohio and I never saw one larger than 40-45 lbs. but that was 25 years ago....