Coyotes

The place to start if you are new!
FarmerShell
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Coyotes

Post by FarmerShell » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:56 pm

Dang I would be smoking!! 😡😤🔫 I'd take it personally get some traps and guns. I know we have them we seen them on the cameras and hear them.

kerley
GURU
GURU

Post by kerley » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:18 pm

Ky hills wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:31 am
They present a problem even if not causing one at the moment the potential is always there. We are infested with them. When I was a child there were no coyotes around and dogs running through the country were the biggest problem. Now we are infested with coyotes and never hardly see a loose dog anymore. We have lost calves to them over the years and they put me out of the sheep business. We have had hunters come in a few times if we start having problems. There aren’t many days that we don’t see or at least hear coyotes we try to scare them off. It’s not unusual to see two or three at once. For those that hunt them what would be your recommendations for a good coyote gun?
22x250

JW IN VA
GURU
GURU

Post by JW IN VA » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:25 pm

kerley wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:18 pm
[quote="Ky hills" post_id=1621104 time=1583771467 user It’s not unusual to see two or three at once. For those that hunt them what would be your recommendations for a good coyote gun?
Never been around a 22/250 but hear they are a great round.I carry a 223 which is a little less powerful but cheaper to shoot and still plenty for coyotes.A 243 would make a nice cartridge,too.If you are limited to rimfires in your area, a 22 WMR will work with careful shot placement up to 125 yards or so.I have killed several with head shots from a 22LR a very close range.
No matter what you use,shot placement is the key.I'd rather see one shot in the head with a 22 WMR than one gut shot with a 300 Mag.
Plenty of "entry level" rifles available which will do what you want.Two I would recommend are either Savage or the Remington 783.The 783 doesn't get much positive ink but my son has one in 270 and it's very accurate.He's killed several with his.
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:53 pm

I have yotes here but they're not very big and never bother the cows, I let them be unless they get to coming in the yard. Since I'm calving I'm just warning them.. if they start howling at night I light off a shot with my 22wmr pistol, and that thing sounds like a full fledged rifle.. they get the message.. Saw one in a draw the other day and it was well out of range for a pistol shot, but I'm sure he heard the zing!
I just bought a 6.5x55 Husqvarna, not a cheap rifle to shoot but can certainly reach out there with a 120 grain bullet
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

WinterSpringsFarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by WinterSpringsFarm » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:53 am

They are getting pretty thick around here as well, but honestly I haven't had a lick of trouble with them YET. Plenty of other critters around for them to eat. But should they ever develop a taste for beef it will be war.

One of my favorite guns for coyotes, ground hogs and such is a .17WSM. It'll put em down.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:27 am

We have all descriptions of coyotes here most are average sized but not uncommon to see a real big one. Last fall there was a good sized one around and the neighbors saw it at a distance and thought at first it might have been their German shepherd that is a huge dog. The craziest experience I’ve had with a coyote was when I still had sheep. One evening I was calling the sheep up to the barn for night, and I noticed a small to medium sized coyote following them. It came right up behind them with me standing there calling them. One the sheep got in the barn lot I closed the gate and just barely did before it went through too. It was within a few feet of me and with me trying to run it off it wasn’t. It would maybe circle back a few feet and come right back. My mother happened to hear the commotion and I literally begged her to get the 22 but she had an aversion to guns and was reluctant to touch it. I was literally throwing rocks at this coyote to keep him out of the lot he was that fixated on the sheep and lambs that rocks didn’t hardly phase him. Finally by the time she brought me the gun he had gone. It was a ten or more minute standoff with that coyote. Never had anymore encounters like that. One day last fall or early winter we were checking cows on another farm with the utv and one was out in the middle of the field watching the cows. Of course didn’t have a gun that day either and we literally ran the utv up to within a few feet of it before it ran and then it would look back like it didn’t want to leave. The utv is pretty fast so we finally got it to realize it better run away. Saw it in the woods across the fence a couple times afterwards but thankfully it didn’t bother any of young calves.

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Ridgefarmer63 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:41 pm

Interesting and well timed post. I'm located in south central New Hampshire. The farm is remote, in the middle of a fairly sizable piece (New Hampshire standards) of 140 acres. I hear the coyotes most nights. Some nights they are very close. We have been cow/calvin' it for 15 years now and I have never lost a calf... yet. Although as they say, "It's never a problem, until it is".

I let the cows into a small pasture right off the barn/corral to birth during mid/late April. They all give birth right up against the windward tree line.

Just recently , one of my beef customers, who is an avid hunter, has started to hunt the coyotes with calls and starting this week, night hunting. I had some mixed emotions since they haven't taken any calves, but they did take two chickens and my cat disappeared last fall. He was a good cat too..

They way I look at it, he's only going to take a coyote or two and having a predator (my customer) out there is good to keep them at bay. Unless the neighbors start jumping up and down, I'm going to let him have at it.

In the meantime, if I hear the coyotes really whooping it up and they are close and it is birthin' season, I will yell and they usually shut up. If that doesn't work, a rifle shot seems to shut em up for sure. I'm a deer hunter, so whackin' one if he gets to close is not an issue at all. But to answer the OP's original question, I've never been confronted by one. Maybe they know better.... :-)

farmguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by farmguy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:25 pm

Some things I know. As a rule the farther north the larger coyotes and other animals tend to be. Second: coyotes will lure a dog off, surround and kill it, even large dogs. Third: coyotes will kill new born calves, especially those hid by their mother the first few days.

WFfarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by WFfarm » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:42 pm

Ridgefarmer63

Researches at SUNY Stony Brook looked at the genetic makeup of coyotes in New York and the Northeast. They determined that what we have is a hybrid of approximately 65% coyote, 25% wolf and 10% domestic dog. That is why they are larger on average that western coyotes.They can easily top 55 lbs here. Coyotes are considered an invasive species in New York state. They came into the state at the turn of the century from Canada to fill the predator void when farmers killed off the native wolf and mountain lion populations.

We have not had a problem with them, yet. But they are all around us and neighbors have lost calves to them or had a dead calf that they got to first. They still have a decent amount of fear of humans thanks to local hunting and trapping pressure. Most deer hunters will shoot any and all on sight. Farmers are legally allowed to shoot them if they are around or harassing livestock, but you are not allowed to bait or call them if it's outside the season.

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Ridgefarmer63 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:11 pm

WFfarm wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:42 pm
Ridgefarmer63

Researches at SUNY Stony Brook looked at the genetic makeup of coyotes in New York and the Northeast. They determined that what we have is a hybrid of approximately 65% coyote, 25% wolf and 10% domestic dog. That is why they are larger on average that western coyotes.They can easily top 55 lbs here. Coyotes are considered an invasive species in New York state. They came into the state at the turn of the century from Canada to fill the predator void when farmers killed off the native wolf and mountain lion populations.

We have not had a problem with them, yet. But they are all around us and neighbors have lost calves to them or had a dead calf that they got to first. They still have a decent amount of fear of humans thanks to local hunting and trapping pressure. Most deer hunters will shoot any and all on sight. Farmers are legally allowed to shoot them if they are around or harassing livestock, but you are not allowed to bait or call them if it's outside the season.
WFfarm, Interesting. I didn't know about the genetic breakdown, particularly the wolf part. I saw the coyote who took the chicken. Caught him red handed. Good looking animal. He was brown. His coat looked like a chessapeke a bit. We've been lucky so far, I guess, but it is always on my mind during calving time. Not so sure what the season is in NH to be honest. I am relying on my buddy hunting. We did have to file an "Intent to night hunt" form with county for the night hunting just recently. He hasn't got one yet. If/when I start having problems, I may have to re-evaluate how we do things. The barn is about 80 yards from the house and I have some nice lighting out there (pays when your son in law is a line man. Got some flood lights on telephone poles. Could leave those on during calving season...

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:16 pm

We have these.

Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Ridgefarmer63 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:22 pm

farmguy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:25 pm
Some things I know. As a rule the farther north the larger coyotes and other animals tend to be. Second: coyotes will lure a dog off, surround and kill it, even large dogs. Third: coyotes will kill new born calves, especially those hid by their mother the first few days.
Yup. I have had a few cows that would hide their calves in the woods. Usually for three or four days before introducing them to the herd. First time it happened I thought we lost the calf, but then he showed up. The mother would call him out of the woods back into the pasture every night, right around dusk, then hid him again in the am. Most cows give birth next to the upwind stonewall so they can see where they can't smell and vice versa..

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Ridgefarmer63 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:25 pm

Those look like 55 pounders to me...

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:09 pm

[quote=Lucky post_id=1621027 time=1583723092 user_id=32659]
Coyotes do more good than harm on my place. I could be wrong but don’t think one has ever killed a calf. One of the neighbors went on a coyote killing spree several years ago and ended up with a big skunk problem. Buzzards are what I hate. The white winged ones have gotten 2 calves this year and try to get nearly everyone born.
[/quote]

Agreed. Buzzards are a much larger problem.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

FarmerShell
Rancher
Rancher

Post by FarmerShell » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:20 pm

I want to hike the Appalachian Trail one day. Ya'll talking about coyotes, bears, rattlesnakes, cougars, etc makes me want to lock myself inside and throw away the key. 😒🐻🐍🦖🕷🦄