The place to start if you are new!
Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Re: Hereford vs Brahman bulls

Post by Ky hills » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:42 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:30 am
Does the angus calf in my pic look like it has growth problems? :D There are some soggy heifer mates in that herd also that will be staying with me.

When you have such a diverse herd it's hard to find a one size fits all. Baldies are not really replacement makers. They are for raising terminal calves. Pure brahmans are not for terminal calves. They are for replacements. You have both, which is probably good. :) Nothing wrong with a little diversification.

Buy any breed of the Texas slam and you will be fine, even Charlotte. Quality is more important than breed.

IMO, black sells. No matter if its black with ear for replacements for black calves to the sale barn... they sell. :tiphat:
I also agree about the baldy females. I prefer straight bred Hereford or Angus for cows. The BWF cows are fine looking animals that can raise some big calves. We have had some real nice growth 3/4 Angus or Hereford calves from them. We have sold a lot of F1 BWF heifers fir replacements but to me they are some bigger and heavier milking and require a little more to keep them in optimum condition. On the flip side of that if anybody had plenty of good grazing and good calf management and bred a BWF to Charolais bulls they could really raise some big calves.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Hereford vs Brahman bulls

Post by Brute 23 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:30 am

http://www.amscattle.com/auction/3rd-an ... bull-sale/

Click on the "Super American Sale" then look at the videos of the Super American Bulls.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain