Brahman bull

The place to start if you are new!
AldacoCattle
Beginner
Beginner

Brahman bull

Post by AldacoCattle » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:52 am

Hello everyone, I am new here and new to the cattle business. I was planning on buying a few braford heifers and maybe using an angus bull on them, but my dad decided to buy a Brahman bull. What type of heifers would y’all use on a Brahman bull? Should I just buy some commercial Brahman heifers? Or a set of Hereford heifers? Eventually I would want to keep replacement heifers out of them. Thank you.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Brahman bull

Post by Brute 23 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:26 am

You had a really good plan. Obviously your dad was not on the same page. Its probably best to get with him on his game plan for that bull. He has painted yall in a tight corner so hopefully he has a plan.

Where are you located? Try to find the birth weight on the bull's epds. Both those factors will effect what kind of cows you can run with him. I would definitely stay away from heifers. Also, post a pic of the new bull. That will also help.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

A.J.
GURU
GURU

Post by A.J. » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:28 am

:welcome: I agree with everything Brute said. Hard to beat BrahmanxHereford or BrahmanxAngus for replacements.

AldacoCattle
Beginner
Beginner

Post by AldacoCattle » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:59 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:26 am
You had a really good plan. Obviously your dad was not on the same page. Its probably best to get with him on his game plan for that bull. He has painted yall in a tight corner so hopefully he has a plan.

Where are you located? Try to find the birth weight on the bull's epds. Both those factors will effect what kind of cows you can run with him. I would definitely stay away from heifers. Also, post a pic of the new bull. That will also help.
We are located in Huffman Tx, gulf coast region in Texas. I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures for some reason it won't let me. Why would you stay away from heifers? thanks for all the help.

Larzbarz
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Larzbarz » Fri May 01, 2020 9:12 am

After you've made 5 posts/comments, then you'll have the ability to post pictures and links.

A.J.
GURU
GURU

Post by A.J. » Fri May 01, 2020 10:22 am

AldacoCattle wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:59 pm
Brute 23 wrote:

We are located in Huffman Tx, gulf coast region in Texas. I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures for some reason it won't let me. Why would you stay away from heifers? thanks for all the help.
Brahman bulls are not recommended on heifers typically, because when crossed, many times the calves, especially bull calves, can be really large, which increases chances of calving problems. It’s odd, but this same thing does not typically occur when breeding bos Taurus bulls (non-Brahman) to Brahman cows.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri May 01, 2020 11:21 am

A.J. wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:22 am
AldacoCattle wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

Brahman bulls are not recommended on heifers typically, because when crossed, many times the calves, especially bull calves, can be really large, which increases chances of calving problems. It’s odd, but this same thing does not typically occur when breeding bos Taurus bulls (non-Brahman) to Brahman cows.
This is spot on info.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

AldacoCattle
Beginner
Beginner

Post by AldacoCattle » Sat May 02, 2020 10:59 pm

A.J. wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:22 am
AldacoCattle wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

Wow! I sure did not know that. Thanks for the info! Does this also happen with if the heifers are brahman? or only if the brahman bull is crossed with a different breed?

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Sun May 03, 2020 4:31 pm

With out knowing his epds your increasing the odds of trouble with heifers of any breed.

AldacoCattle
Beginner
Beginner

Post by AldacoCattle » Mon May 04, 2020 10:29 am

Got it. Yead we dont know his epds. In that case would you recommend that I get some pairs or open cows?

AldacoCattle
Beginner
Beginner

Post by AldacoCattle » Mon May 04, 2020 2:23 pm

Here’s a picture of the bull. Short and stout.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Mon May 04, 2020 3:53 pm

Good looking bull. His frame will be to your benefit. Find some good Hereford or Angus cows. I would even consider good bred Hereford heifers from a reputable dealer. They will have bred them to a good low birth weight bull. Calve them out and then breed them back to yalls bull.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Mon May 04, 2020 4:17 pm

Do you know his age? You may want to buy cows or heifers bred to let him get some age also. Brahman bulls are slow develope also.