Got the old bridge re decked

The place to start if you are new!
User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2176
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 872 times
Been thanked: 857 times

Got the old bridge re decked

Post by Silver » Tue May 05, 2020 6:04 pm

It was a chore, but got it done. All new wood from the I-beam up. Treated 4 x 6 underneath, rough 3x12's on top. Tomorrow I will dig out the abutments and install some oak mats I salvaged to act as an abutment wall. Should be good for another 30 years I hope.
Image



SBMF 2015
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:31 pm
Location: West Central,IL
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 139 times

Re: Got the old bridge re decked

Post by SBMF 2015 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:10 pm

Nice job! Ours is a flat rail car buried across the creek and 3x12's bolted to the top
Never fear them, but ALWAYS respect them.

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2176
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 872 times
Been thanked: 857 times

Re: Got the old bridge re decked

Post by Silver » Tue May 05, 2020 9:35 pm

SBMF 2015 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:10 pm
Nice job! Ours is a flat rail car buried across the creek and 3x12's bolted to the top
Always wanted to get my hands on a rail car.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 576 times
Been thanked: 633 times

Re: Got the old bridge re decked

Post by gcreekrch » Tue May 05, 2020 10:52 pm

We used two b train trailers side by side on cement blocks. Decked with 4 inch crossways and two inch running strips to hold her together.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4983
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia
Has thanked: 592 times
Been thanked: 492 times

Re: Got the old bridge re decked

Post by wbvs58 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:29 am

What sort of loads do you put across it Silver? Looks like a nice job.

Ken

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2219
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 716 times
Been thanked: 480 times

Re: Got the old bridge re decked

Post by sstterry » Wed May 06, 2020 5:19 am

Silver wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:35 pm
SBMF 2015 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:10 pm
Nice job! Ours is a flat rail car buried across the creek and 3x12's bolted to the top
Always wanted to get my hands on a rail car.
Me too, if for no other reason than to just say I have one..

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2176
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 872 times
Been thanked: 857 times

Re: Got the old bridge re decked

Post by Silver » Wed May 06, 2020 9:02 am

wbvs58 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:29 am
What sort of loads do you put across it Silver? Looks like a nice job.

Ken
I guess the heaviest thing to go across it regularly would be when we are hauling hay. When all the wheels of the bale mover are on the deck there could be about about 30,000 lbs on the bridge at once. The bridge is short enough that the tractor and the bale mover are not on it at the same time.
It is built such that the heavy 14" I beams run about under where the tires travel, and there are steel pilings under that.

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:52 pm
Location: Western kentucky
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Got the old bridge re decked

Post by Ky cowboy » Wed May 06, 2020 9:46 am

Old guy here took a miller lite semi trailer and used it for a bridge. He said he drank enough of it in his younger years to fill the trailer up. They just use it for small tracotrs and such

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8398
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon
Been thanked: 686 times

Re: Got the old bridge re decked

Post by Dave » Wed May 06, 2020 6:53 pm

This is timely. Yesterday we were discussing my bridge and when it was put in and by who. It is interesting because the bridge is put in diagonal to the flow of the river. Lots of concrete at both ends. Six big I beams. The decking is pressure treated 3 by 12 that are diagonal to the direction that you drive. It is about 8 to 10 feet above the water. The old locals say that there have been a few times during a big spring run off that the water was lapping at the bottom of the bridge.

Image

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4983
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia
Has thanked: 592 times
Been thanked: 492 times

Re: Got the old bridge re decked

Post by wbvs58 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:09 pm

Silver wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:02 am
wbvs58 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:29 am
What sort of loads do you put across it Silver? Looks like a nice job.

Ken
I guess the heaviest thing to go across it regularly would be when we are hauling hay. When all the wheels of the bale mover are on the deck there could be about about 30,000 lbs on the bridge at once. The bridge is short enough that the tractor and the bale mover are not on it at the same time.
It is built such that the heavy 14" I beams run about under where the tires travel, and there are steel pilings under that.
Speed has a lot to do with what they can't take too.

Ken

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2176
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 872 times
Been thanked: 857 times

Re: Got the old bridge re decked

Post by Silver » Wed May 06, 2020 10:57 pm

Dave wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:53 pm
This is timely. Yesterday we were discussing my bridge and when it was put in and by who. It is interesting because the bridge is put in diagonal to the flow of the river. Lots of concrete at both ends. Six big I beams. The decking is pressure treated 3 by 12 that are diagonal to the direction that you drive. It is about 8 to 10 feet above the water. The old locals say that there have been a few times during a big spring run off that the water was lapping at the bottom of the bridge.

Image
That is a peculiar way to deck a bridge for sure. I was a bridgeman for several years and never saw that before. The concrete at the ends is a great way to save the decking and take the stress off the bridge. Without the concrete the bridge approaches tend to pound out and the vehicles approaching the bridge tend to pound away at the decking and shake the bridge around.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 576 times
Been thanked: 633 times

Re: Got the old bridge re decked

Post by gcreekrch » Sat May 09, 2020 9:32 pm

Not to hijack your post Silver but here are a couple photos of one of our bridges. No bureaucrats were disturbed in its construction.
I see a block is a little tippy.
Image

Image
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5167
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 450 times
Contact:

Re: Got the old bridge re decked

Post by Aaron » Sat May 09, 2020 10:41 pm

As I have said before, I don't really understand the bridges. Particular in such narrow and shallow channels.

Couple 36" culverts and some riprap and call it good.
cor durum laborem

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 576 times
Been thanked: 633 times

Re: Got the old bridge re decked

Post by gcreekrch » Sat May 09, 2020 11:23 pm

Aaron wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:41 pm
As I have said before, I don't really understand the bridges. Particular in such narrow and shallow channels.

Couple 36" culverts and some riprap and call it good.
For most of the year one 36 inch culvert would handle all the water this creek has. About every 7 to 10 years we get high enough runoff that we would be rebuilding the crossing. This is easier.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15709
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 1204 times
Been thanked: 935 times

Re: Got the old bridge re decked

Post by Nesikep » Sat May 09, 2020 11:52 pm

Silver wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:57 pm
Dave wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:53 pm
This is timely. Yesterday we were discussing my bridge and when it was put in and by who. It is interesting because the bridge is put in diagonal to the flow of the river. Lots of concrete at both ends. Six big I beams. The decking is pressure treated 3 by 12 that are diagonal to the direction that you drive. It is about 8 to 10 feet above the water. The old locals say that there have been a few times during a big spring run off that the water was lapping at the bottom of the bridge.

Image
That is a peculiar way to deck a bridge for sure. I was a bridgeman for several years and never saw that before. The concrete at the ends is a great way to save the decking and take the stress off the bridge. Without the concrete the bridge approaches tend to pound out and the vehicles approaching the bridge tend to pound away at the decking and shake the bridge around.
if you're a little short of lumber to do the deck, putting them diagonally will get you just a little further!.. lose some width though
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Post Reply