Flipping a few cows/heifers

The place to start if you are new!
Bfields30
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Flipping a few cows/heifers

Post by Bfields30 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 am

Flipping few cows and heifers past two weeks / was seeing if anyone did it on here had any advice been buying 6-7!yr old brangus cows 7-8 months bred making 50-125 a head minus diesel cost. Buying a few brehmer heifers and tigers as well they been more expensive as well price profit been smaller .
As well as what do guys charge delivering.... ?? Thanks if i missed anything love If you guys could add. I’m only buying a hand 3-5 at a time going to sale to sale ....



VaCowman
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:51 pm
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: Flipping a few cows/heifers

Post by VaCowman » Tue May 26, 2020 10:34 am

Could be burning through your profits only buying a handful from sale to sale?

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8456
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: Gulf Coast of South Texas
Has thanked: 461 times
Been thanked: 385 times

Re: Flipping a few cows/heifers

Post by Brute 23 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:49 am

Your odds are better in a casino.
Well, if ranching's so hard, why do we do it?
Because its one be nice of a life, Tate. One be nice of a life.
- John Dutton

I would rather cut off my right arm, than live under tyranny!

Bfields30
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Flipping a few cows/heifers

Post by Bfields30 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:52 am

VaCowman wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:34 am
Could be burning through your profits only buying a handful from sale to sale?
What’s a good amount to buy?

Bfields30
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Flipping a few cows/heifers

Post by Bfields30 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:52 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:49 am
Your odds are better in a casino.
lol that bad 😂😂😂dang

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6552
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas
Has thanked: 636 times
Been thanked: 992 times

Re: Flipping a few cows/heifers

Post by callmefence » Tue May 26, 2020 12:14 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 am
Flipping few cows and heifers past two weeks / was seeing if anyone did it on here had any advice been buying 6-7!yr old brangus cows 7-8 months bred making 50-125 a head minus diesel cost. Buying a few brehmer heifers and tigers as well they been more expensive as well price profit been smaller .
As well as what do guys charge delivering.... ?? Thanks if i missed anything love If you guys could add. I’m only buying a hand 3-5 at a time going to sale to sale ....
You can draw a 60 mile circle around yourself and have a cow sale 6 days a week , so yeah you can pull that off here and there. But you start trying to be a full time cow jockey and the order buyers will sniff you out and gun you down right quick.. LoL.
Support your local hardworking white boy.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

SBMF 2015
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:31 pm
Location: West Central,IL
Has thanked: 127 times
Been thanked: 190 times

Re: Flipping a few cows/heifers

Post by SBMF 2015 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:36 pm

If you buy them right, hold them over winter, calve them out, don't loose any, and have a nice matched group to sell at grass time. Yeah, you probably could make $50-$125 a cow. But not flipping them in two weeks
It's a skill like everything else. I know a cattle buyer/trader (like him or hate him you got to respect his ability). He buys 2-3 pot loads of mrkt cows at sales every day, six days a week. He can look at a cow and tell where she is just full or five months bred. The potential breds get bought under an "X" then preg checked after the sale. If their bred they go home until he has a matched group for a bred cow sale. If there open they go in with the rest of the mrkt cows he bought that day destined for the packers. He's probably been buying cattle for close to fifty years.
Never fear them, but ALWAYS respect them.

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8487
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon
Been thanked: 742 times

Re: Flipping a few cows/heifers

Post by Dave » Tue May 26, 2020 5:02 pm

You have to be pretty certain about your potential market and what they will buy and how much they are willing to pay. I have a good friend who did it for years. He was buying feeder cattle in western Washington and hauling them over the mountains to eastern Washington. Buying on Friday and selling the following Thursday. Had to have pretty much a full trailer to make it pay. He figured he needed to make $100 per calf for it to work out. He quit. Not because he wasn't making money. He got to hating that weekly trip over the mountain pass.

Bfields30
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Flipping a few cows/heifers

Post by Bfields30 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:59 pm

callmefence wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:14 pm
Bfields30 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 am
Flipping few cows and heifers past two weeks / was seeing if anyone did it on here had any advice been buying 6-7!yr old brangus cows 7-8 months bred making 50-125 a head minus diesel cost. Buying a few brehmer heifers and tigers as well they been more expensive as well price profit been smaller .
As well as what do guys charge delivering.... ?? Thanks if i missed anything love If you guys could add. I’m only buying a hand 3-5 at a time going to sale to sale ....
You can draw a 60 mile circle around yourself and have a cow sale 6 days a week , so yeah you can pull that off here and there. But you start trying to be a full time cow jockey and the order buyers will sniff you out and gun you down right quick.. LoL.
Lol yeah I know what I have my eyes on when I get there which if it’s not in my price range for me to make profit i won’t get it. But I’ve also learned a lot and met some older timers that been giving me some knowledge here and there.

Bfields30
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Flipping a few cows/heifers

Post by Bfields30 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:01 pm

SBMF 2015 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:36 pm
If you buy them right, hold them over winter, calve them out, don't loose any, and have a nice matched group to sell at grass time. Yeah, you probably could make $50-$125 a cow. But not flipping them in two weeks
It's a skill like everything else. I know a cattle buyer/trader (like him or hate him you got to respect his ability). He buys 2-3 pot loads of mrkt cows at sales every day, six days a week. He can look at a cow and tell where she is just full or five months bred. The potential breds get bought under an "X" then preg checked after the sale. If their bred they go home until he has a matched group for a bred cow sale. If there open they go in with the rest of the mrkt cows he bought that day destined for the packers. He's probably been buying cattle for close to fifty years.
Yeah I seen plenty of those at a few sales I’ve been to that I’ve seen quote of few just like you described.

Bfields30
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Flipping a few cows/heifers

Post by Bfields30 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:05 pm

Dave wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:02 pm
You have to be pretty certain about your potential market and what they will buy and how much they are willing to pay. I have a good friend who did it for years. He was buying feeder cattle in western Washington and hauling them over the mountains to eastern Washington. Buying on Friday and selling the following Thursday. Had to have pretty much a full trailer to make it pay. He figured he needed to make $100 per calf for it to work out. He quit. Not because he wasn't making money. He got to hating that weekly trip over the mountain pass.
Yeah I’ve building a smaller customer base one guy likes older heavy bred brangus 5-7 yrs old and have a few more like Brahman cows and cow and heifers with ear. I try to find the sales with herd sell outs: older guy died and kids sold whole herd 75 breds:pairs 5-8 yr old with good pairs on there side that had a lot of life left I made quite bit of money off resell

Bfields30
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Flipping a few cows/heifers

Post by Bfields30 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:05 pm

If I deliver what should I charge mileage what’s a good rate ?

kilroy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:58 am
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Flipping a few cows/heifers

Post by kilroy60 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:40 am

Bfields30 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:05 pm
If I deliver what should I charge mileage what’s a good rate ?
This depends on where the buyer is in relation to you. Personally, if I were to purchase cows from you, I would expect you to deliver without a charge. I wouldn't expect this if we were hundreds of miles away but if we were across the county or within 50 miles, I would expect you to deliver.

User avatar
BFE
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:24 pm
Location: Southeast Illinois
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Flipping a few cows/heifers

Post by BFE » Wed May 27, 2020 5:59 am

$2.50 per loaded mile around here.

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9115
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Central Texas
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 219 times

Re: Flipping a few cows/heifers

Post by 1982vett » Wed May 27, 2020 1:17 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 am
Flipping few cows and heifers past two weeks / was seeing if anyone did it on here had any advice been buying 6-7!yr old brangus cows 7-8 months bred making 50-125 a head minus diesel cost. Buying a few brehmer heifers and tigers as well they been more expensive as well price profit been smaller .
As well as what do guys charge delivering.... ?? Thanks if i missed anything love If you guys could add. I’m only buying a hand 3-5 at a time going to sale to sale ....
On a regular basis....I’d rather have a place to go with them and know I could at least break even.

Past couple years I’ve been on the fence about staying in or getting out. Started buying middle aged bred cows that need some tlc but mostly something better to eat than the were getting. Goal was to get the calf and add weight to the cow then sell. Still have some of the better 80 cent cows. The others, mostly broke even on the calf and weight cows @ $.50 - $.60. Almost doubled my money with some this last go round but I managed to bail before covid wrecked it.

Personally I’m not savvy enough to trade cattle week to week, but I’ll dabble and pick off some from time to time for a longer term trade. Been 7 weeks since I’ve been to a sale and wanted to go today to see how which the wind is blowing but didn’t make it. Got a lot of grass some hungry cows could use but I’m in no hurry to buy when slaughter is backing up like it is.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

Post Reply