Best way to load wild cattle

The place to start if you are new!
76 Bar
GURU
GURU

Re: Best way to load wild cattle

Post by 76 Bar » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:21 pm

I think the more appropriate question would be how do I get a wild animal in my freezer?
Shortly after its bedded down.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:01 pm

darcelina4 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:23 am
I like to take the path of least resistance. I would park the trailer in the pen. Put the feed in the trailer. This would be the only feed in the pen. Have a couple of others with the wild one. Each day, go put feed in and rattle the trailer. When they are eating, rattle it more. The day you want to leave, do the same routine but slam the gate shut when they are eating. Sort off the keepers at the salebarn and bring them back home. Cows are food motivated. Use it to your advantage.
If they will go in or stay in pens... they arent wild. ;-)

We have to do that kind of trickery just pen them old Brimmer & Brimmer X cows on a regular basis. I have to work some Brimmers this month. I started the penning process 2 weeks ago. I'm on track to have them caught by the end of the month. :)
Well, if ranching's so hard, why do we do it?
Because its one be nice of a life, Tate. One be nice of a life.
- John Dutton

I would rather cut off my right arm, than live under tyranny!

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:18 pm

We fool with a lotta wild cattle for people.

1. Horse and a rope
2. If it’s caught in a pen, then a couple of dogs
3. No access to 1 and 2, then feed in the trailer. You will eventually get them. Put some blocks under the back, and crank the jack until the trailer is swung.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:10 pm

Best way? Call someone else, grab a drink, and watch.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:00 pm

sstterry wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:35 am
Caustic Burno wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:57 pm
If it won’t come to cubes when I call it’s going to the barn.
How do you get them to the sale barn if they won't load? :cowboy:
Buzzards have to make a living.
Only had to do that to one, usually cutting their water off works wonders.
I run sale-barn cattle.

WinterSpringsFarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by WinterSpringsFarm » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:36 pm

darcelina4 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:23 am
I like to take the path of least resistance. I would park the trailer in the pen. Put the feed in the trailer. This would be the only feed in the pen. Have a couple of others with the wild one. Each day, go put feed in and rattle the trailer. When they are eating, rattle it more. The day you want to leave, do the same routine but slam the gate shut when they are eating. Sort off the keepers at the salebarn and bring them back home. Cows are food motivated. Use it to your advantage.
haven't had any real wild ones before huh? Most of the real wild ones aren't food motivated because they don't want to be around humans. They certainly aren't going into the trailer with no way to get out other than the way they came in, and if they do they aren't letting you slam the door behind them.

If they are truly wild 2 things cure it. Running them till they just can't run any more or a bullet.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:18 pm

Again define wild?

A well designed set of pens that are built tall and strong. The loading alley should have a curve in it so they can't see the end (the trailer) until it is their only option. Another person out of sight behind the trailer gate to slam it as soon as the cow goes in.

DCA farm
Rancher
Rancher

Post by DCA farm » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:51 pm

Try my best to get them into the my barn lot If I can get them in there it’s over with cause I’ll run them down the chute. If I can’t get them to the lot I’ve got a uncle and cousin that love to rope I’ll let them make short work of it

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Post by Redgully » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:50 pm

The bull i shot was a bit like this one.....ok slight exageration but not far off! He tasted terrible too!

Warning this video is graphic, most of you would know it.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:10 pm

Cowboys, horses, and dogs is generally the fastest and least expensive. I talked with a man a few weeks ago that had an extremely crazy cow he was trying to catch. I was ready for a good story but turned out she just wouldn’t go in the pen for cubes like the rest of the herd so he had to sit in the truck for 45 minutes til she did. Some would call her crazy, I’d just call her a cow. Crazy or wild means different things to people.

SBMF 2015
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by SBMF 2015 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:50 am

The vet crew at the sale barn had a sliding scale of crazy; * - all bluff & snort, ** - they'd run past you sideways, *** - they'd run you over to get way, **** - they'd come across a pen and help you over a gate, ***** - that be nice will get you down and camp out on you.
Seen lots of ****'s. The 5's get fewer and fewer as long as market cow prices stay strong.
Never fear them, but ALWAYS respect them.

out to pasture
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by out to pasture » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:44 am

all i will say experience when your young is fun till you get older and you have things hurt before you open your eyes. on a serious note there are in my area a few young guys that advertise ,they are young and specialize in that sort of foolishness .

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:41 pm

Guess we’ve never had a wild one, they all went where I wanted them to go.

Eventually.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:09 pm

Redgully wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:50 pm
The bull i shot was a bit like this one.....ok slight exageration but not far off! He tasted terrible too!

Horrible to put any horse through the possibility of getting gored like that. Knowing that bull was a killer. Can well understand people refusing to go into a ring with him. Sorry, but my opinion is that he should have been shot on the second time in the ring and going after another horse like he did. I will give him a pass the first time...scared accounts for something... but not after the second. He was pure hatred towards horses.

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Post by Redgully » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:12 am

farmerjan wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:09 pm
Redgully wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:50 pm

Horrible to put any horse through the possibility of getting gored like that. Knowing that bull was a killer. Can well understand people refusing to go into a ring with him. Sorry, but my opinion is that he should have been shot on the second time in the ring and going after another horse like he did. I will give him a pass the first time...scared accounts for something... but not after the second. He was pure hatred towards horses.
Yeah not a nice sport if you could call it that. The one i had i wasn't even going to try getting on a trailer. Yarded him once and he cleared 6ft with ease. But he never saw the bullet coming! Once he was down a couple more shots just to be sure!!