electric fencer and weather

The place to start if you are new!
Hardknocks
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:02 am

electric fencer and weather

Post by Hardknocks » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:11 am

thinking about purchasing a electric fencer, looking at a super enegizeer 5 or rangemaster i dont need the rangemaster but the local coop only has that ccharger. will there be a problem if i buy the 100 mile when i dont need it. also will it shorten the life if i put it in a wooden home made box or metal box to keep it out of the weather. im looking for a real good charger. trhat is hot



User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 25604
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 377 times
Been thanked: 1255 times

Re: electric fencer and weather

Post by Caustic Burno » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:18 am

One word
Parmak!
I run sale-barn cattle.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12708
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 259 times
Been thanked: 393 times

Re: electric fencer and weather

Post by Bigfoot » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:24 am

Parmark, and a really good ground. Life expectancy would probably be better in a nice tight spot, but any shelter would help.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

Hardknocks
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:02 am

Re: electric fencer and weather

Post by Hardknocks » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:00 am

perfect thanks i wil get the parmark just didnt need the 100 Mile but i need it today

76 Bar
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1253
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: South Western Oregon
Has thanked: 532 times
Been thanked: 391 times

Re: electric fencer and weather

Post by 76 Bar » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:06 am

Curious to know why Parmak outshines the rest of the pack?

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6656
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas
Has thanked: 677 times
Been thanked: 1042 times

Re: electric fencer and weather

Post by callmefence » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:26 am

76 Bar wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:06 am
Curious to know why Parmak outshines the rest of the pack?
It doesn't seem like you can hardly make em not work. I pretty much found one I had forgotten about 5 years ago.. On the ground panel broken top off full of dirt and ants. Blew it out put a battery and a deer feeder solar panel on it and it'll make you bite your tongue.

Op
The mile rating on a fence charger is a useless piece of info. It means nothing. Look at Joule s.
Support your local hardworking white boy.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2538
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 862 times
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: electric fencer and weather

Post by sstterry » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:47 am

Callmefence is correct the Joules are what count. That is what tells you the "knockback" rating. It could go 500 miles, but it the Joules aren't high enough, it is worthless.

SBMF 2015
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:31 pm
Location: West Central,IL
Has thanked: 162 times
Been thanked: 232 times

Re: electric fencer and weather

Post by SBMF 2015 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:31 pm

I guess I'm the odd one out, I'd put my Gallagher M1500s up against anything. They are 15 Joules. I was kidding my daughter that we could start raising grizzly bears cause the picture on the box says it will keep them in (or out).
I totally agree though, which ever fencer you use if you don't have a good ground you've got nothing.
Never fear them, but ALWAYS respect them.

chaded
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:06 am
Location: Southeast Ohio
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: electric fencer and weather

Post by chaded » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:20 pm

SBMF 2015 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:31 pm
I guess I'm the odd one out, I'd put my Gallagher M1500s up against anything. They are 15 Joules. I was kidding my daughter that we could start raising grizzly bears cause the picture on the box says it will keep them in (or out).
I totally agree though, which ever fencer you use if you don't have a good ground you've got nothing.
There was a Parmak here when I bought the farm and it worked but not like the Gallagher M1500 I have. The M1500 lights them up more (they touch it once) and it seems it’s not as sensitive to things on the fence.

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2538
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 862 times
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: electric fencer and weather

Post by sstterry » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:42 pm

chaded wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:20 pm
SBMF 2015 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:31 pm
I guess I'm the odd one out, I'd put my Gallagher M1500s up against anything. They are 15 Joules. I was kidding my daughter that we could start raising grizzly bears cause the picture on the box says it will keep them in (or out).
I totally agree though, which ever fencer you use if you don't have a good ground you've got nothing.
There was a Parmak here when I bought the farm and it worked but not like the Gallagher M1500 I have. The M1500 lights them up more (they touch it once) and it seems it’s not as sensitive to things on the fence.
Again, it would all depend on the joules. What was the Parmak rated? 15 joules is a good rating.

chaded
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:06 am
Location: Southeast Ohio
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: electric fencer and weather

Post by chaded » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:14 pm

sstterry wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:42 pm
chaded wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:20 pm
SBMF 2015 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:31 pm
I guess I'm the odd one out, I'd put my Gallagher M1500s up against anything. They are 15 Joules. I was kidding my daughter that we could start raising grizzly bears cause the picture on the box says it will keep them in (or out).
I totally agree though, which ever fencer you use if you don't have a good ground you've got nothing.
There was a Parmak here when I bought the farm and it worked but not like the Gallagher M1500 I have. The M1500 lights them up more (they touch it once) and it seems it’s not as sensitive to things on the fence.
Again, it would all depend on the joules. What was the Parmak rated? 15 joules is a good rating.

You know I couldn’t tell you for sure. They don’t make the model anymore and I think the Mark 8 replaced it? 5 or 6 joules?

I know it should be expected that the M1500 would be more then that but does Parmak make anything that high?

Josher
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:01 pm
Location: NW Saskatchewan, Canada
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: electric fencer and weather

Post by Josher » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:33 pm

We like our Gallagher fencers. They are reliable and put out. Recently we’ve used a couple patriot battery powered fencers as well with good results. Patriot are less money but Gallagher has a reputation that’s hard to beat.
We’ve had a couple parmaks and they were garbage for us. I wouldn’t go anywhere near them. But maybe our Canadian conditions are too much for them.

pdubdo
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:53 pm
Location: southern Oklahoma
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: electric fencer and weather

Post by pdubdo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:45 pm

For me, training was just as important as joules. Put up a little temporary fence around a hay bale or feed bucket and let them all get curious and touch it once. I'm sure this doesn't work for every cow, but mine don't come even close to a single white strand at mid-thigh level. and +1 Parmak :)

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2538
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 862 times
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: electric fencer and weather

Post by sstterry » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:00 pm

pdubdo wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:45 pm
For me, training was just as important as joules. Put up a little temporary fence around a hay bale or feed bucket and let them all get curious and touch it once. I'm sure this doesn't work for every cow, but mine don't come even close to a single white strand at mid-thigh level. and +1 Parmak :)
That is the whole concept behind an electric fence. It is a psychological barrier for them. Any bull or decent size cow can plow right through an electric fence. But the animals are trained to know if they touch it, it is not good. Therefore they stay in.

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2538
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 862 times
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: electric fencer and weather

Post by sstterry » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:21 pm

chaded wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:14 pm
You know I couldn’t tell you for sure. They don’t make the model anymore and I think the Mark 8 replaced it? 5 or 6 joules?

I know it should be expected that the M1500 would be more then that but does Parmak make anything that high?
There is a big difference between 5 and 15 as far as shock. Cyclops makes a 32-joule unit.
https://www.amazon.com/Cyclops-Boss-Jou ... B0077VJMX6
And it seems that I recall seeing a 64-joule unit at one time.

Stafix makes a 63joule unit that comes with a remote so you can turn the fence off anywhere you can touch it.
https://www.stafix.com/en/product/m63rs-mains-energizer

Of course, price is a big consideration. Full disclosure, I have two Gallager's and have been very happy with them. But neither are solar-powered. Solar can only do so much, but if the cows are trained it should be fine.

Edit, I just remembered I do have a Parmak battery-powered box that I have not used yet.

Post Reply