electric fencer and weather

The place to start if you are new!
SBMF 2015
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: electric fencer and weather

Post by SBMF 2015 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:46 pm

I have 100x more problems with 200lbs calves figuring out that if they run fast enough the fence only hurts for a second and their out. But they try and go slow going back and get lit up.
I have a small lot that I have thought about using a Parmak 12v solar fencer. I just can't get past the difference in Jules out put between solar and 110.

Never fear them, but ALWAYS respect them.

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by T & B farms » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:57 pm

I have 2 range masters and gotten along well with them. Pretty powerful, rated at 6.6 jol. With good moisture and a clean fence mine will shock at at 10-11kv. Been nailed by it several times, you won’t forget it. I also have close to a dozen 12volt solar parmak. Have very good luck with them. Have sent a few of them in for repair, but they never charge me and have them back to me within 1.5-2 weeks.

I’m going to buy one of the high powered stafix charges for the house. Putting a high tensile fence around 240 acres with lots of cross fences. Hope it can handle it

dvcochran
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by dvcochran » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:59 pm

I agree the ground is essential to a successful electric fence. So let's talk grounding. How is everyone else doing it? I seem to do just as good or better with three 4' pieces of clean rebar spaced 6' apart over a copper rod 8' in the ground. It is pretty hard to drive a smallish rod that far in the ground around here.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:27 pm

dvcochran wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:59 pm
I agree the ground is essential to a successful electric fence. So let's talk grounding. How is everyone else doing it? I seem to do just as good or better with three 4' pieces of clean rebar spaced 6' apart over a copper rod 8' in the ground. It is pretty hard to drive a smallish rod that far in the ground around here.
Do I understand that you dig a trench 8' deep?

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:05 pm

sstterry wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:27 pm
dvcochran wrote:
I have 3 8' galvanized rods buried in the drip of the barn. Not 8' deep but buried and 6' apart.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:10 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:05 pm
sstterry wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:27 pm
dvcochran wrote:
I have 3 8' galvanized rods buried in the drip of the barn. Not 8' deep but buried and 6' apart.
That is exactly the same setup I have only one would only go 4' before rock If it gets dry, 3 buckets of water help.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:13 pm

Any little bit of rain from the barn roof always goes to the correct place. A few years ago during a drought I also let a water hose run for a couple hours in the same area. Found out I had a short in an underground crossing area instead of a ground problem
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

chaded
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by chaded » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:13 pm

I have 4 galvanized rods buried 6 feet deep, 10 foot apart.

Ned Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Ned Jr. » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:22 am

I have several solar 12v Parmak chargers around and they work great. Quick and easy to set up. I do a lazy man set up often by just tying into the fence for my ground. All the steel posts make a good ground.

I used Gallagher for years and they are ok but in my opinion over priced and overrated. The slightest short will knock them out. Not very well protected either.

I have 1 Patriot and it’s been a good one.

IMO the Taylor Fence Cyclops charger is the Cadillac of them all. It’s amazing how well it can handle a short and they are very well protected. Also American made!
If attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler

BigBear56
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by BigBear56 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:40 am

dvcochran wrote:
(2) 8’ copper 6’ apart.