Raising a steer for beef questions...

The place to start if you are new!
Walking W
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Raising a steer for beef questions...

Post by Walking W » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:17 pm

I had a steer processed for freezer back in June. Around here, the waiting list is months out, so plan ahead. My cost was $40 kill and $0.65/lb cutting and wrapping based on hanging weight. I had a 1350 lb jersey cross than hung out 800 lbs so you can figure my total. I finished mine with 75% shelled corn 25% grain-based sweet feed plus hay or grass for long-stem fiber and gut health. The sweet feed had the extra protein, calcium, trace mineral, and vitamins needed while the corn supplied the energy. It was also very easy to feed out that way. I made a feeder with a 125lb hopper that fed three time/day. I never did get up to 2.5%/day feed on the guy. He kept going off his feed when I pushed too hard(acidosis, I think. The smell was pretty unmistakable). I had to back off and then ease back up but never got over 25 lb/day into a 1350 lb animal. Dairy breeds may be different than beef on how much feed they take. I have fed out angus at 2.5% /day. It was a smaller animal that was only 1200 lbs.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:17 am

Walking W wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:17 pm
I made a feeder with a 125lb hopper that fed three time/day.
Do you have a picure of that set-up?

Walking W
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Walking W » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:33 pm