Which solar charger?

The place to start if you are new!
ccattleco
Beginner
Beginner

Which solar charger?

Post by ccattleco » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:25 pm

I am trying to temporarily fence a few pastures at the back of my farm so I can make use of the grass since the perimeter fence is lacking. My group of heifers are trained to one strand of poly tape but I’m going to add another strand in these pastures just to be safe. The first pasture I am doing will be around 1500 ft of fence and later on, the second pasture would be 1700 ft, so in all close to 3/4 mile. It has to be a solar charger and I would like to buy one strong enough to handle both pastures. I don’t have a fortune to spend but I also don’t want to cheap out on something that won’t get the job done. How many joules should it need? I am pretty good about keeping fence clean. Thanks for any input.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: Which solar charger?

Post by Dave » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:38 pm

Parmak 12 volt

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:19 am

ccattleco wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:25 pm
I am trying to temporarily fence a few pastures at the back of my farm so I can make use of the grass since the perimeter fence is lacking. My group of heifers are trained to one strand of poly tape but I’m going to add another strand in these pastures just to be safe. The first pasture I am doing will be around 1500 ft of fence and later on, the second pasture would be 1700 ft, so in all close to 3/4 mile. It has to be a solar charger and I would like to buy one strong enough to handle both pastures. I don’t have a fortune to spend but I also don’t want to cheap out on something that won’t get the job done. How many joules should it need? I am pretty good about keeping fence clean. Thanks for any input.
Solar is going to limit the amount of joules that can be generated, but like Dave said, on this Board, the overwhelming response is going to be Parmak.

ccattleco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ccattleco » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:40 am

sstterry wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:19 am
ccattleco wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:25 pm
Solar is going to limit the amount of joules that can be generated, but like Dave said, on this Board, the overwhelming response is going to be Parmak.
Would most recommend the Parmak 12v Magnum? I guess I wouldn’t mind looking into battery powered if I’m going to get a better output.

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by T & B farms » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:23 am

Parmak 12 volt is the best and most powerful you will find for anywhere near the price. I have a dozen and they work great. Some of mine are running 4-5 miles of fence and shocking at 7.5-8 kv. Fence needs to be somewjat clean

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:53 am

Battery is not going to be much better than a solar. As I recall, they would both be 12 volt.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:58 am

sstterry wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:53 am
Battery is not going to be much better than a solar. As I recall, they would both be 12 volt.
Battery is solar, solar is battery.
All solar chargers run off battery power, just like anything solar. Solar simply powers the battery charger .
You can take the solar panel off any solar charger and it will still work just fine until the battery dies. A paramark 12 will run around a week with no solar panel and a fresh battery.
Support your local hardworking white boy.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ccattleco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ccattleco » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:02 pm

callmefence wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:58 am
sstterry wrote:
All solar chargers run off battery power, just like anything solar. Solar simply powers the battery charger .
You can take the solar panel off any solar charger and it will still work just fine until the battery dies. A paramark 12 will run around a week with no solar panel and a fresh battery.
Makes perfect sense, kind of a “duh” moment. Lol. I’m new to all of this. Thanks for explaining!

ccattleco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ccattleco » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:10 pm

callmefence wrote:
sstterry wrote:
I’m thinking about going with the Parmak Magnum 12 rather than the solar 12 model. It’s kind of a big price difference, and I can swap out batteries for now until I can afford to install a solar panel.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:47 pm

ccattleco wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:10 pm
callmefence wrote:
sstterry wrote:
I’m thinking about going with the Parmak Magnum 12 rather than the solar 12 model. It’s kind of a big price difference, and I can swap out batteries for now until I can afford to install a solar panel.
That'll work. And it's a dam good charger
Fwiw . a good 10 amp panel can be had for not much more than a good deep cycle battery. Often two five amps can be less and accomplish the same.
Support your local hardworking white boy.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:55 pm

callmefence wrote:
sstterry wrote:
Sorry I wasn't clear, that is what I meant. You are entirely correct.

ERNIBIGB
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ERNIBIGB » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:54 am

I have had good luck with 12v charger. Parmark is a good one. 5 watt cheap solar panel and any 12v battery that will hold charge. I have swapped out completely dead batterys for cores that still had decent charge for free at local parts store. I have used everything from lawn mower battery to heavy truck batteries. Larger solar panels need a separate charge controller to avoid over charging.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Post by Rafter S » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:40 am

I got a Parmak 12 volt a few months ago and have been happy with it so far. I got it from https://www.valleyvet.com/. They were cheaper than Amazon.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

sassafras manor
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by sassafras manor » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:59 am

I'm in the same situation as Rafter, got mine back in March or April from Valley Vet (free shipping also) and it has been flawless. They are pricey but appear to be worth it

ccattleco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ccattleco » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:02 pm

sassafras manor wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:59 am
I'm in the same situation as Rafter, got mine back in March or April from Valley Vet (free shipping also) and it has been flawless. They are pricey but appear to be worth it
Mine is ordered so now I wait! What kind of battery are you running?