Water

The place to start if you are new!
User avatar
bird dog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1990
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: Navarro County, Texas
Has thanked: 311 times
Been thanked: 370 times

Re: Water

Post by bird dog » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:42 am

I remember in 2011 getting to the sale barn in Buffalo and having to drive a half mile past it just to get to the end of the line.
I fed some corn rolls for a while and that kept them alive. They all got embarrassingly thin. I made a deal with a trucker that was coming back empty from Missouri to bring me some hay. It was expensive but at least it was good hay.

Shortly after that I built a hay barn where I now always keep some hay in reserve.



User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9208
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Central Texas
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: Water

Post by 1982vett » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:05 am

bird dog wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:42 am
I remember in 2011 getting to the sale barn in Buffalo and having to drive a half mile past it just to get to the end of the line.
I fed some corn rolls for a while and that kept them alive. They all got embarrassingly thin. I made a deal with a trucker that was coming back empty from Missouri to bring me some hay. It was expensive but at least it was good hay.

Shortly after that I built a hay barn where I now always keep some hay in reserve.
I have hay tucked in a barn from 2012.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 30427
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas
Has thanked: 476 times
Been thanked: 327 times

Re: Water

Post by TexasBred » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:50 am

bird dog wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:42 am
I remember in 2011 getting to the sale barn in Buffalo and having to drive a half mile past it just to get to the end of the line.
I fed some corn rolls for a while and that kept them alive. They all got embarrassingly thin. I made a deal with a trucker that was coming back empty from Missouri to bring me some hay. It was expensive but at least it was good hay.

Shortly after that I built a hay barn where I now always keep some hay in reserve.
We sold out that year. Had hay but tank went dry and had no water. Come to think of it that tank is dropping pretty fast now as well. :shock:
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5039
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Water

Post by cowgirl8 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:09 pm

I remember 2011 that if we had to shut down it would be because of water. We were down to one pond and we were pumping water out of it into a trough.. I never want to do that again...
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4704
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 1449 times
Been thanked: 674 times

Re: Water

Post by TCRanch » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:49 am

snoopdog wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:43 pm
I think it was 2009, when we sold the last cowherd. We went to hay production and did well through the 2011 drought, but we did NOT gouge anybody. Going to start cleaning it out in the morning with my dozer, at least the shallow end, we'll see how it goes.
Good luck. Hit the ONE spot in the south pond that wasn't completely dry during our drought. Fail!
Image

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 848 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: Water

Post by snoopdog » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:04 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:49 am
snoopdog wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:43 pm
I think it was 2009, when we sold the last cowherd. We went to hay production and did well through the 2011 drought, but we did NOT gouge anybody. Going to start cleaning it out in the morning with my dozer, at least the shallow end, we'll see how it goes.
Good luck. Hit the ONE spot in the south pond that wasn't completely dry during our drought. Fail!
Image
Dang it TC! I literally have the same tractor, except 2wd, and the thought crossed my mind today about moving some of the mud so I could push it with the little dozer, dang, we all think alike. But I aint doin it now
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 848 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: Water

Post by snoopdog » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:40 am

Well, rented a mini ex last weekend, and with my cousin working it and me on the little dozer, we got it about half done. Finally got a dozer operator out yesterday, but it rained the night before , so pumped water with the trash pump {i can't believe I even did this} so he can get in. The mud in the center is almost 4 ft deep. Had my first set of twins yesterday tho! Good momma, I think she's gonna do alright, checking on her this morning.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
MurraysMutts
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 915
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:51 pm
Location: N. Central boonies, Oklahoma
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 352 times

Re: Water

Post by MurraysMutts » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:35 am

Least the grass will grow a bit now...

Kinda makes a guy wish he'd have rented the hoe sooner! Lol
Crossbred for high bread vinegar....

User avatar
MurraysMutts
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 915
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:51 pm
Location: N. Central boonies, Oklahoma
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 352 times

Re: Water

Post by MurraysMutts » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:21 am

snoopdog wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:40 am
Well, rented a mini ex last weekend, and with my cousin working it and me on the little dozer, we got it about half done. Finally got a dozer operator out yesterday, but it rained the night before , so pumped water with the trash pump {i can't believe I even did this} so he can get in. The mud in the center is almost 4 ft deep. Had my first set of twins yesterday tho! Good momma, I think she's gonna do alright, checking on her this morning.
Better post some pics on the show your calves thread!
Everyone loves twins!!
Crossbred for high bread vinegar....

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 848 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: Water

Post by snoopdog » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:54 pm

MurraysMutts wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:21 am
snoopdog wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:40 am
Well, rented a mini ex last weekend, and with my cousin working it and me on the little dozer, we got it about half done. Finally got a dozer operator out yesterday, but it rained the night before , so pumped water with the trash pump {i can't believe I even did this} so he can get in. The mud in the center is almost 4 ft deep. Had my first set of twins yesterday tho! Good momma, I think she's gonna do alright, checking on her this morning.
Better post some pics on the show your calves thread!
Everyone loves twins!!
I'll post pics, if I can still remember how. But, she left the one, so the better half is raising it now.
Last edited by snoopdog on Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 848 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: Water

Post by snoopdog » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:06 pm

Image

Image
Image
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
MurraysMutts
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 915
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:51 pm
Location: N. Central boonies, Oklahoma
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 352 times

Re: Water

Post by MurraysMutts » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:19 pm

Wow that's a lotta dirt n mud!
Fun fun!

Poor mama. She dont know what shes missing

Someones gotta ask, bulls, heifers, or mix?
Good job on catching it early! I like a good bottle calf.
Crossbred for high bread vinegar....

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 848 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: Water

Post by snoopdog » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:35 am

MurraysMutts wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:19 pm
Wow that's a lotta dirt n mud!
Fun fun!

Poor mama. She dont know what shes missing

Someones gotta ask, bulls, heifers, or mix?
Good job on catching it early! I like a good bottle calf.
1 each
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Post Reply