Brahman dilemma

The place to start if you are new!
BFE
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Brahman dilemma

Post by BFE » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:44 am

I have a similar dilemma with combining herds, no wild long ears involved. Got one group on one side of the creek, one on the other. I would like to move them across the road to fresh grass but they're not going until I can get them all. Fortunately the bull don't care, he goes back and forth to whoever smells the best. Mineral location and feeding them isn't working. Apparently, the southside of the creek girls don't need anything or they would be searching for it. Gonna have to starve em out I guess lol.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:14 am

I turned out a group of F1 and 3/4 blood heifers at a place early in the year. It took every bit of 4 months for them to finally mix with the herd. They got in there with some good grass and did their own thing. They wouldnt hardly even come to me with the horn... I'd have to go hunt them up. It's a bad feeling when every time you go in to check cattle all your heifers are "missing"... no matter how many times you do it. :) They are settled in now and will come busting out of the brush to meet me when they hear a vehicle.
Well, if ranching's so hard, why do we do it?
Because its one be nice of a life, Tate. One be nice of a life.
- John Dutton

I would rather cut off my right arm, than live under tyranny!

Bfields30
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Bfields30 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:56 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:28 pm
So of the 8 pairs 2 are not settling down?

I would just give them time to settle in until you can do some thing with them.

Eventually you are going to have to make the hard decision. Personally, I doubt they will turn for you if the others have ad they have not. Especially if they are leading the trouble.

On the pens I would tie the pens in to the barn and other cross fence to make a trap that kind of wraps around 3 side of it. That would make a good area to funnel them or hold new cattle coming in.

Stocker Steve
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:46 am

I purchased 3 cows that hung up on the opposite side of a shallow creek from the big herd. They chewed all the grass down, waited a few more days, and then two of the three would cross to graze. The stay behind would stand on the creek bank and cry till her two friends finished grazing and crossed back to her. This went on for about a week till all three crossed and joined the herd.
Stocker Steve

MO-Ruminants
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by MO-Ruminants » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:16 pm

Brahman Dilemma....great name for a band.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:29 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:56 am
Brute 23 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:28 pm
So of the 8 pairs 2 are not settling down?

I would just give them time to settle in until you can do some thing with them.

Eventually you are going to have to make the hard decision. Personally, I doubt they will turn for you if the others have ad they have not. Especially if they are leading the trouble.

On the pens I would tie the pens in to the barn and other cross fence to make a trap that kind of wraps around 3 side of it. That would make a good area to funnel them or hold new cattle coming in.

Looks good to me. Any thing but a big wide open area. Make then travel thru there from one pasture to the other, to get water, etc.
Well, if ranching's so hard, why do we do it?
Because its one be nice of a life, Tate. One be nice of a life.
- John Dutton

I would rather cut off my right arm, than live under tyranny!