The place to start if you are new!
JW IN VA
GURU
GURU

Re: I need advice on electric fence

Post by JW IN VA » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:28 pm

shaz wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:48 am
I prefer 17 aluminum for temp fencing. Poly wire doesn't splice very well. If you're like me you never put up the same temp fence twice so splicing is required.
I'm sure it's a better conductor but what,may I ask,were the problems you had with splicing polywire?I've made many splices in it over the years and haven't noticed a problem.Maybe I need to check it with the Fault Finder more closely.
I've used square knots,pulled two ends even and knotted them around themselves and,recently,started pushing the twist or weave apart and threading the other end through on both ends then tying off beyond.I have also been known to make a small loop of 14 gauge wire and tie the ends to that.
Not saying you are wrong.That's just what I have done.

Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:26 pm

JW IN VA wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:28 pm
shaz wrote:
I prefer 17 aluminum for temp fencing. Poly wire doesn't splice very well. If you're like me you never put up the same temp fence twice so splicing is required.
I'm sure it's a better conductor but what,may I ask,were the problems you had with splicing polywire?I've made many splices in it over the years and haven't noticed a problem.Maybe I need to check it with the Fault Finder more closely.
I've used square knots,pulled two ends even and knotted them around themselves and,recently,started pushing the twist or weave apart and threading the other end through on both ends then tying off beyond.I have also been known to make a small loop of 14 gauge wire and tie the ends to that.
I am curious about this too. I see no reason it should be hard to splice with the correct knot.

Chapin81
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Chapin81 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:13 pm

JW IN VA wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:16 pm
High tensile wire has a tensile strength of 170,000 to 200,000 lbs.Break strength of 1305 to 1550 pounds.The 12.5 gauge aluminum wire has break strength of about 360 lb
Good to know thanks for the tip. I called a distributor today and they also said not to use aluminum wire, breaks easy.

anewcomer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by anewcomer » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:42 pm

Maybe not for boundary fence, but for permanent interior fences, or offsets on a barb wire boundary fence, if you try 12 and 1/2 gauge aluminum wire, you’ll never use high tensile again. 1/3 to 1/4 the weight, so dramatically less bracing needed. Farther spacing for line posts. 3 to 4 times as conductive. Makes your charger act twice as big. Never, ever, rusts.Very easy to repair if you get a break. It is different from high tensile and you have to understand how tie, wrap and connect it. When you learn how to use it, you’ll never go back. Remember, electric fence is not a physical barrier, it’s a mental barrier.

shaz
GURU
GURU

Post by shaz » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:36 am

JW IN VA wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:28 pm
shaz wrote:

What you end up with is one of those tiny little wires contacting another tiny little wire. Not nearly as good as wire with no splice. If you're pulling the weave back it probably works pretty ok.

"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin