Ear Tagging Beef Cattle.

The place to start if you are new!
snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Re: Ear Tagging Beef Cattle.

Post by snoopdog » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:03 pm

DO NOT,under any circumstances,GET YOUR HEAD OR FACE ANYWHERE NEAR THE COW"S HEAD OR WHERE IT COULD BE.

Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:06 pm

JW IN VA wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:19 am
We started using tags in 1975 with the Allflex tags.Dad picked orange so they could be seen easier in the woods.
The tagging was for me,not him.He had a photographic memory for cattle and could tell you their history as well.
Started out using the right ear and still do for all females.Started tagging steers in the left for easier sorting when we had a graded sale association and took in calves different days for steers and heifers.Made for easier sorting in larger groups.
I switched to Z tags for the cows because of button breakage and too many lost tags feeding in rings and cows rubbing cedars to shed hair.Calves get Ytex because they are cheaper.Usually marked with Momma's number.If aheifer stays,she gets her own number in order.
There is certainly nothing wrong with Allflex and I'd use them again if I couldn't get Z tags.The new one piece looks interesting.
As someone said,try to miss the big blood vessels.If you haven't tagged before,you might want to put a halter rope on to keep the head as still as possible.
DO NOT,under any circumstances,GET YOUR HEAD OR FACE ANYWHERE NEAR THE COW"S HEAD OR WHERE IT COULD BE.A search of my posts will tell you more. :hide:
I suspect white or yellow are easiest to read from a distance although I still use orange.Most of our neighbors use different colors than the people who join them and it's a good idea.
DO NOT,under any circumstances,GET YOUR HEAD OR FACE ANYWHERE NEAR THE COW"S HEAD OR WHERE IT COULD BE. I have had dental surgery because of not following this advice, not pleasant.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

MurraysMutts
Rancher
Rancher

Post by MurraysMutts » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Right! Definitely gotta know your cows
I had one kick a panel once. My nose and top row of teeth were in the way. I thought for sure my face was broken!!! Gotta be careful

No matter what body part of the cow we are talking about, always be AWARE of where your face is!
Crossbred for high bread vinegar....

okiek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by okiek » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:28 am

You've gotten good advice I won't repeat. As far as color I believe Valley Vet used to have a chart on colors that were easiest to read at a distance to hardest to read at a distance. I use yellow because it's easy to read at a distance. However, it's a popular color, therefore hard to tell yours from neighbors when they cross fences.

MurraysMutts
Rancher
Rancher

Post by MurraysMutts » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:35 am

Been using z tags in my cows.
They still lose one occasionally.
Calves get a cheap y tagger tag. Number, d.o.b., phone on back. Calves get mamas number with a dash, then what number calf it is.
So number 8 cows 5th calf would be 8-5
So far the tags with buttons seem to hold up ok.
I dont have any pre-printed tags. All mine I write on.
Used to use a sharpie. That dont hold up.
The ink in a bottle always made a big mess. They have a marker now with that same ink. Big felt type tip.
Seems to hold up really well!
Crossbred for high bread vinegar....

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Post by littletom » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:57 am

I tag calves in the field with same number as mom. I always put in right ear. Because i am right handed. I catch with a plastic hook by the back left leg and hold that with left hand. This keeps calf between me and mom. Safest way i have found.Also all our chutes head catch is on right side. So tag is easier to see. After weaning steers are sold with moms number. After heifers are pelvic measured before turn out they get there own number. My cattle run with my parents in a couple fields. Their tags are white mine are blue. Uk colors what what works for us,

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:33 pm

I use Ritchey engraveable tags on my heifer calves. I give them the extra large because I don't want to replace it if she becomes a replacement. The bottom number on the tag is the calf's order of birth followed by the year letter. The top number is the mothers number. So if the first heifer calf of 2021 is born to the cow 12Z, 12Z will be the top number and 1J will be the bottom number. Steer calves I use a different colour and just write the mothers number on the tag.

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Post by gizmom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:32 pm

We tag left heifers this leaves the right for vet and the brucellosis tattoo. I put the sire name or number on top the calf number in center and dam number on bottom. As fas as calf number this year the first calf which is due on 9/27 will be 2001 so I will know it was the first calf born in 2020. Of course since we have a hurricane bearing down on us at the moment the low pressure could sure trigger some early calves.

Gizmom
Respect give it to get it!

WFfarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by WFfarm » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:15 am

gizmom wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:32 pm
We tag left heifers this leaves the right for vet and the brucellosis tattoo. I put the sire name or number on top the calf number in center and dam number on bottom. As fas as calf number this year the first calf which is due on 9/27 will be 2001 so I will know it was the first calf born in 2020. Of course since we have a hurricane bearing down on us at the moment the low pressure could sure trigger some early calves.

Gizmom
You'll have to name one of the heifers Sally

timwil94
Beginner
Beginner

Post by timwil94 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:26 am

Try to find out how to label in your area. If this is important for you. But I think that you can make such marks, which will be understandable and convenient for you.

MO-Ruminants
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by MO-Ruminants » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:06 pm

Know exactly what you will do with the information on the tag before you tag.

I.e, "Do I need to tag?"