curtiss breeding

The place to start if you are new!
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: curtiss breeding

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:51 am

I attend the Curtiss (Candy) sire dispersal sale in Illinois I think it was in 1982... could have been in '81.
They had a top flight holstein line up in the 60s - 70s Astronaut was one of the superstars in the 70's but their bull
Pawnee Farm Arlinda Chief was the one that really left his impact on the breed... he was really something special.
I remember Select Sires purchasing Char-Mar Elevation Pabst a great grandson of the old Chief bull.
(Elevation x Milu Betty Ivanhoe Chief) I liked that Pabst bull a lot.
The Arlinda Chief x Ivanhoe cross was known as the ton of milk cross back in the day as the daughters of that cross averaged over 2,000 lbs more milk per year than their herdmates in the late '60s which at the time was really big time special..
A ridiculous % of all holsteins today trace back to either Elevation (RORAE) or Chief and most to both of them.
Elevation was a grandson of Ivanhoe making Pabst a line-bred Ivanhoe.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:30 am

I learned how to breed from Scotty Woodrow at a Curtis School in 1974.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:11 am

Butch,
Heard a fellow talking on feeding Holstein steers once... made reference to their shallow gene pool - 'they're all their own grandpa'...
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:19 am

Lucky_P wrote:Butch,
Heard a fellow talking on feeding Holstein steers once... made reference to their shallow gene pool - 'they're all their own grandpa'...

an oldie but a goody https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:12 pm

boondocks wrote:

I had never heard that before... very funny song.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:43 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
boondocks wrote:

I had never heard that before... very funny song.

we used to play it for our son when he was a toddler. He would crack up, thought it was the funniest idea ever...
0 x

saarizero13
Beginner
Beginner

Postby saarizero13 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:23 am

I have some older Curtiss Breeding Service Cryo equipment I have also been wondering about. I have large Linde/Union Carbide LR-311 and Linde/Union Carbide LNR-258 Storage units. They are all in working order and everything is in tact. Is there any value to these items anymore? It is neat to see the old Curtiss logo on the side and figured someone on here would have more information than is out there on these items. They were purchased from an old farm breeder. They are neat pieces of equipment either way just looking for additional info and where to look.
0 x

FAvilla
Beginner
Beginner

Postby FAvilla » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:14 am

I also worked with Greg for curtiss breeding service in 1977. It was a great experience for me. I was 20 years old and was sales representative for California. I traveled back to Cary and elburn to see the facilities. Met some great people like Don Solberg, Scotty Woodrow, and Ray bak just to name a few. It's a shame what happened to such a great company. I was an ai technician for 40 years and have enjoyed working with dairymen.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”