Boarding cattle or co-owning cattle?

The place to start if you are new!
Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: Boarding cattle or co-owning cattle?

Post by Dave » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:34 pm

Katpau wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:31 pm
simpleredfox wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:23 pm
randiliana wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:27 pm

Your local ag rep should likely have some information on different contracts or such.
Sorry if this is a strange question, but how do you find/contact your local ag rep?
Yes, your county extension agent is often a good source. Not every county in Oregon has one. The state cut funding awhile back and some counties voted to fund through a tax added to real estate taxes, and some did not. Another source might be to contact someone from your local county Livestock Association. Oregon Cattlemen's Assoc (OCA), could likely give you information on your local Assn. I recommend joining both OCA and your county assn. I would also contact your local Farm Service Assoc. (FSA). Let them know you are new in the business and they can tell you about any helpful programs available in your area.

Where in Oregon are you located?
I missed that the poster is from Oregon. My bad. The FSA is Farm Service Agency not Assoc. They are a federal agency and they do have programs for beginning farmers. I will second the OCA and especially the county rep will be a good starting place.

Katpau
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Boarding cattle or co-owning cattle?

Post by Katpau » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 pm

OOps, I knew that. I just listed a few associations and my fingers went on auto pilot