Squeeze Chute recommendations?

The place to start if you are new!
CattlemanSC
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:14 pm

Re: Squeeze Chute recommendations?

Postby CattlemanSC » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:28 pm

Ill go ahead and ask for my first piece of advise on here. I can buy a brand new SO4 Preifert for 3740.00. I'm setting up one of our barns for a crowd area and possibly sweep. Money is a factor so I'm wondering if i should spend my money on the chute to last a lifetime or buy the OS-3 premier 90 degree open sweep with 91 head catch? I helped a friend AI before and she just had a simple crowd area with a chute and a wood gate leading to the chute. She did not squeeze the cows just put a pipe through the drop bars to keep them from moving back. I was just curious where you folks would put your money at. I know you get can get buy roping cattle to a ceder post ect. but wanting to set things up right for the long haul.

Barn lean structure is 60' long 15'wide. the alley will be 8' wide leading up to barn. Ill try and upload pics later.

User avatar
Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1534
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:33 am
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: Squeeze Chute recommendations?

Postby Supa Dexta » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:54 am

That chute in a barn will last your life time... So over 20,30,40 years its gonna cost you about ~100 a year.

coachg
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Location: Pisgah, Alabama

Re: Squeeze Chute recommendations?

Postby coachg » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:37 pm

I bought a SO4 this summer and I don't regret a penny I spent on it ! Ours is outside but going to build a shed over it this spring. I got the palp cage so I have closer to 4,000 in mine. I would get the chute now and wait on the rest for later.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world...

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Squeeze Chute recommendations?

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:45 pm

I've been wanting a S04 myself. And I agree it will last a lifetime if taken care of. However, you still got to pay for it upfront. So I'm still using my old headgate. I say if you can afford it then it's a very good investment.
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12781
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Squeeze Chute recommendations?

Postby greybeard » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:21 pm

CattlemanSC wrote:Ill go ahead and ask for my first piece of advise on here. I can buy a brand new SO4 Preifert for 3740.00. I'm setting up one of our barns for a crowd area and possibly sweep. Money is a factor so I'm wondering if i should spend my money on the chute to last a lifetime or buy the OS-3 premier 90 degree open sweep with 91 head catch? I helped a friend AI before and she just had a simple crowd area with a chute and a wood gate leading to the chute. She did not squeeze the cows just put a pipe through the drop bars to keep them from moving back. I was just curious where you folks would put your money at. I know you get can get buy roping cattle to a ceder post ect. but wanting to set things up right for the long haul.

Barn lean structure is 60' long 15'wide. the alley will be 8' wide leading up to barn. Ill try and upload pics later.

I have an 0S3 sweep and mdl 91 headgate. It worked "ok" most of the time, but I found the short alleyway lacking, so I doubled it in length. The alley that comes with the 0S3 sweep is stronger than the regular Premier panels, but the regular Premier panels IMO, are too weak and light to be used at any pressure point or for anything other than docile cattle. In a sweep and the alley leading to the headgate they work ok because there isn't much room for the cattle to move, but in a holding pen leading to the sweep, you may want something better. I had a Beefmaster bull pretty much crinkle 2 of those panels at will, and he wasn't all that big of a bull.
You will want to put some posts outside the HG alley and tie that HG down to something too.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
"The hottest places in Hades are for those who in time of great moral crises remain neutral" Dante

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7615
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Squeeze Chute recommendations?

Postby slick4591 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:54 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:I've been wanting a S04 myself. And I agree it will last a lifetime if taken care of. However, you still got to pay for it upfront. So I'm still using my old headgate. I say if you can afford it then it's a very good investment.


I operated with just a headgate for about three years and my 1800 lb. bull darn near turned it and the panels over on me. Had it anchored but just not good enough for this occasion. Dug deep into my asspocket and bought the SO4 and put it on concrete with anchored posts. If it gets turned over I'll give you all my cattle.
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Squeeze Chute recommendations?

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:56 pm

slick4591 wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:I've been wanting a S04 myself. And I agree it will last a lifetime if taken care of. However, you still got to pay for it upfront. So I'm still using my old headgate. I say if you can afford it then it's a very good investment.


I operated with just a headgate for about three years and my 1800 lb. bull darn near turned it and the panels over on me. Had it anchored but just not good enough for this occasion. Dug deep into my asspocket and bought the SO4 and put it on concrete with anchored posts. If it gets turned over I'll give you all my cattle.


Haha. Slick, I can see my charolais bull running through the pasture with my headgate and posts still on his head. I'm gonna scrape up enough soon.
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1806
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Location: Northeast KS (USA)
Contact:

Re: Squeeze Chute recommendations?

Postby WalnutCrest » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:38 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
slick4591 wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:I've been wanting a S04 myself. And I agree it will last a lifetime if taken care of. However, you still got to pay for it upfront. So I'm still using my old headgate. I say if you can afford it then it's a very good investment.


I operated with just a headgate for about three years and my 1800 lb. bull darn near turned it and the panels over on me. Had it anchored but just not good enough for this occasion. Dug deep into my asspocket and bought the SO4 and put it on concrete with anchored posts. If it gets turned over I'll give you all my cattle.


Haha. Slick, I can see my charolais bull running through the pasture with my headgate and posts still on his head. I'm gonna scrape up enough soon.


Wow!

You get a picture of that?
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Squeeze Chute recommendations?

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:44 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
slick4591 wrote:
I operated with just a headgate for about three years and my 1800 lb. bull darn near turned it and the panels over on me. Had it anchored but just not good enough for this occasion. Dug deep into my asspocket and bought the SO4 and put it on concrete with anchored posts. If it gets turned over I'll give you all my cattle.


Haha. Slick, I can see my charolais bull running through the pasture with my headgate and posts still on his head. I'm gonna scrape up enough soon.


Wow!

You get a picture of that?


I should have been more clear walnut. I meant that I could see it (possibly) happening. As in, that's my kinda luck.
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

eddie81
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:41 am

Re: Squeeze Chute recommendations?

Postby eddie81 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:49 pm

Arrowquip makes good chutes. Their new 86's look pretty nice, too.
https://youtu.be/uVtq6dazqaY

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: northeast TN

Re: Squeeze Chute recommendations?

Postby hillbilly beef man » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:26 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
WalnutCrest wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

Haha. Slick, I can see my charolais bull running through the pasture with my headgate and posts still on his head. I'm gonna scrape up enough soon.


Wow!

You get a picture of that?


I should have been more clear walnut. I meant that I could see it (possibly) happening. As in, that's my kinda luck.

I did see that happen once. I used to help am old man that had his headgate mounted to a couple of 4x4s that weren't in the ground but a couple of feet. We got his bull in it to work him and he was none too happy. He gave lunge and the posts came out of the ground and he was off. Luckily the head gate unlatched halfway across the pasture and it fell off his head. I am not sure how we would have gotten it off otherwise. When i put my headgate in I used a backhoe to sink 6x6s 5 ft in the ground. So far even the rowdiest cow has not budged it.
Teaching a child to work and manage money will take them futher in life than any education that they could ever receive.

FiveOaksFarmGA
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:42 am

Re: Squeeze Chute recommendations?

Postby FiveOaksFarmGA » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:20 am

Also have to be careful with the autocatch if they get too excited and hit it hard. It'll bruise the glands in the front of their shoulders. Those glands help them fight stress. Learned that at a cattleman demonstration when one of the calves hit the Priefert auto gate really hard. Like mentioned above they eventually get used to it, especially if you train them by running them through more often than when you are actually working them.


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BC and 5 guests