Squeeze Chute recommendations?

The place to start if you are new!
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Squeeze Chute recommendations?

Postby TexasBred » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:13 am

Luckiamute wrote:I wanted to see if some of you out there would share your thoughts on brands of squeeze chutes and which ones you would recommend or NOT recommend.

I am in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon) and most of the chutes you can find for sale new or used are either Powder River, Priefert or, to a lesser extent, Big Valley and WW. I have eliminated the WW from consideration because they seem to be so much more expensive compared to the other brands. There are also a few places, including my nearest feed store, now selling Tarter Livestock equipment and I have never heard of this brand. Where I am at we get a lot of rain (about 40 to 60 inches per year) and the chute will be kept outdoors.

I have a small herd of 10 to 12 head of Black Angus and Polled Hereford X Black Angus. I A.I. breed my cows and raise the steers for beef and heifers to either keep or sell as breeding replacements. Hope that information helps with your suggestions.

I could never justify that kind of investment for 10-12 head of cattle. I know everybody has their preferences and even for several hundred I never needed more than a headgate, the proper size lane leading up to the headgate and a good cedar post to put behind the cattle. But as I said everybody has their own "favorite".
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:16 am

TexasBred wrote:
Luckiamute wrote:I wanted to see if some of you out there would share your thoughts on brands of squeeze chutes and which ones you would recommend or NOT recommend.

I am in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon) and most of the chutes you can find for sale new or used are either Powder River, Priefert or, to a lesser extent, Big Valley and WW. I have eliminated the WW from consideration because they seem to be so much more expensive compared to the other brands. There are also a few places, including my nearest feed store, now selling Tarter Livestock equipment and I have never heard of this brand. Where I am at we get a lot of rain (about 40 to 60 inches per year) and the chute will be kept outdoors.

I have a small herd of 10 to 12 head of Black Angus and Polled Hereford X Black Angus. I A.I. breed my cows and raise the steers for beef and heifers to either keep or sell as breeding replacements. Hope that information helps with your suggestions.

I could never justify that kind of investment for 10-12 head of cattle. I know everybody has their preferences and even for several hundred I never needed more than a headgate, the proper size lane leading up to the headgate and a good cedar post to put behind the cattle. But as I said everybody has their own "favorite".

The reason I replaced the head gate only with a chute was I was getting too old to have to walk a long ways around or climb the sides to get in to AI them.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Mr. dun, that's why you cut you a gate on the right side and have it opening to the enside about a foot and a half--two foot behind the cow's butt and the width of the chute so it can be latched and protect your back. (I'm too old to be climbing too). ;-)
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:18 pm

TexasBred wrote:Mr. dun, that's why you cut you a gate on the right side and have it opening to the enside about a foot and a half--two foot behind the cow's butt and the width of the chute so it can be latched and protect your back. (I'm too old to be climbing too). ;-)

Tried it, didn;t like it. But that short gate section has sure come in handy ain lot of other spots
0 x

Suzie Q
GURU
GURU

Postby Suzie Q » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:25 pm

and can you put mature cows and weanlings through. Like a big one then a small one then a big one then a small one?
0 x
http://www.suesonlineshoppingstore.com/ = my blog and http://suesstore.fabulousproductsmall.com/

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:29 pm

Suzie Q wrote:and can you put mature cows and weanlings through. Like a big one then a small one then a big one then a small one?

Easy as pie with a Priefert. Some of the others you have to adjust the width of the headgate.
0 x

Suzie Q
GURU
GURU

Postby Suzie Q » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks Dun. We won't be able to buy one for a while, but when we do I will find out if they are sold in Australia.

I mentioned it to hubby when we were driving the other day. He hadn't heard of it either. He decided that it was a gate that automatically closed behind the beast when it stepped though.

A video would be great.
0 x
http://www.suesonlineshoppingstore.com/ = my blog and http://suesstore.fabulousproductsmall.com/

2/B or not 2/B
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 2/B or not 2/B » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:37 pm

While I like the idea of using just a headgate and alley type setup, we have a priefert and it's nice being able to adjust it for different size animals. We don't have auto catch and it takes 2 of us, one to move the cattle in and one to control the 2 levers. Our cattle tend to come slowly into the chute and then wait to bolt through the headgate. I rarely miss one but would auto catch work in these instances?

I love our priefert, but we got the standard/economy model. I think it's called the Rancher? Problem is, it isn't wide enough for our bull. A larger one would have been more expensive, but maybe worth it. If your bull doesn't fit in the chute, what do you do, block him in the alley?

As far as rain and rust, we don't get as much rain as you do so I'm not sure. It may be worth it to keep it covered. Ours has gotten some rust and needs occasional cleaning and oiling.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:47 pm

2/B or not 2/B wrote:While I like the idea of using just a headgate and alley type setup, we have a priefert and it's nice being able to adjust it for different size animals. We don't have auto catch and it takes 2 of us, one to move the cattle in and one to control the 2 levers. Our cattle tend to come slowly into the chute and then wait to bolt through the headgate. I rarely miss one but would auto catch work in these instances?

I love our priefert, but we got the standard/economy model. I think it's called the Rancher? Problem is, it isn't wide enough for our bull. A larger one would have been more expensive, but maybe worth it. If your bull doesn't fit in the chute, what do you do, block him in the alley?

As far as rain and rust, we don't get as much rain as you do so I'm not sure. It may be worth it to keep it covered. Ours has gotten some rust and needs occasional cleaning and oiling.

2/B....I push one cow up TO the headgate and put a post behind her so that she can't backup..I THEN open the headgate IF I need to catch the head. This way she can't get a run at it and hit it at 20 mph. :lol2: Unless I'm working on her head for some reason I have no reason to catch the head most of the time.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:07 pm

2/B or not 2/B wrote:While I like the idea of using just a headgate and alley type setup, we have a priefert and it's nice being able to adjust it for different size animals. We don't have auto catch and it takes 2 of us, one to move the cattle in and one to control the 2 levers. Our cattle tend to come slowly into the chute and then wait to bolt through the headgate. I rarely miss one but would auto catch work in these instances?

I had a Rancher and got a steal on the bigger one. The deal is that it isn;t THAT much bigger. Our bull still wouldn;t fit. Yaers ago WW had a Contintntal size chute. I had one and it was great for the big stuff, wasn;t worth a hoot for the little stuff. We just run the bull up to the closed gate, block him in and work on him then back him out of the alleyway. Somewhqat more stresfeull on all involved then using the chute
0 x

Texas PaPaw
GURU
GURU

Postby Texas PaPaw » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Here's a link to a video of the priefert chute:

http://priefert.com/products.aspx?view= ... el_04-S04/
0 x
Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Brock's Law "If you do enough stumblin', you'll stumble on to something"

2/B or not 2/B
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 2/B or not 2/B » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:45 pm

dun wrote:I had a Rancher and got a steal on the bigger one. The deal is that it isn;t THAT much bigger. Our bull still wouldn;t fit. Yaers ago WW had a Contintntal size chute. I had one and it was great for the big stuff, wasn;t worth a hoot for the little stuff. We just run the bull up to the closed gate, block him in and work on him then back him out of the alleyway. Somewhqat more stresfeull on all involved then using the chute

In an ideal world I guess you would have all the right sizes of different equipment for everything but there is usually a workable alternative. Thanks, Dun.

The priefert chute is pretty basic but very nice. I like the drop down bars across the upper sides and the removable panels at the bottom. One side also swings open for sorting or to release an animal in an emergency. Very handy
0 x

Suzie Q
GURU
GURU

Postby Suzie Q » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Thank you Texas Paw Paw. Unfortunately it is coming up video not found for me.

I have emailed them to ask if their products are sold in Australia.
Last edited by Suzie Q on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:49 pm

Suzie Q wrote:Thank you Texas Paw Paw. Unfortunately it is coming up video not found for me.

At their main site they claim the site is down for maintainence, may be later
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:08 pm

I had the Priefert Rancher and like Dun got a good deal on the S04 company no longer carrying them wanted it gone but anyway i like the ability to shut the back gate from the rear, when im working calves i dont use the auto catch but im able to walk down the outside of the alley they go in shut the back gate crack the head catch and there caught.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”