Squeeze Chute recommendations?

The place to start if you are new!
dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Squeeze Chute recommendations?

Postby dun » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:27 am

tsmaxx47 wrote:i have the sliding door on the "rancher". i'm pretty sure some spray on lubricant would fix it. if i wanted that feature i wouldn't let that issue stand in the way. too good of a chute in all other respects.....

A squirt or 2in hte right places will get it sliding without having to do more then a push or a pull. It's good for 40 - 50 head that way. Long before it starts to get catchy when it slides I squirt it again, stuff is cheap and sure cuts down on frustration and irritation
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

gscales123
Beginner
Beginner

Postby gscales123 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:07 pm

I own a new souix steel chute with auto head gate, has a lot of good options. only thing we have really sliced up some feet and legs in it. and the auto head gate is great on uniform cattle , set it and forget it, but when one comes in with 2 inch horns are bigger its a mess or 200 lbs lighter yearling than the rest also have to stop and reset. and plan on re run on anything with horns. and clean up all the welds are you will spend a lot of time doctoring the following weeks. also waited 4 months on it after being told when i ordered and put 40% down that it would be in in 3 weeks dont think i will buy any more souix steel products

tnwalkingred
Rancher
Rancher

Postby tnwalkingred » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:30 am

I just bought a new Priefert Rancher squeeze chute and I LOVE IT! Had the vet out on Wednesday to check cows while we fly tagged, wormed, and vaccinated. I have a palp cage and 8' alley behind the chute and it made working the cattle a dream! My dad and I were both there so we used the manual catch instead of the auto but I feel very confident the auto will work when I'm by myself. I like the idea of the white spray grease on the rear sliding gate. Thanks Dun!
I have great faith in fools. My friends call it self confidence!

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:38 am

tnwalkingred wrote:I just bought a new Priefert Rancher squeeze chute and I LOVE IT! Had the vet out on Wednesday to check cows while we fly tagged, wormed, and vaccinated. I have a palp cage and 8' alley behind the chute and it made working the cattle a dream! My dad and I were both there so we used the manual catch instead of the auto but I feel very confident the auto will work when I'm by myself. I like the idea of the white spray grease on the rear sliding gate. Thanks Dun!

Fluid Film works good on sliding parts too. It really never dries so it will collect some dirt be aware of that. It is a good lube to have around the farm. Some WD40 or other thin spray lube keeps the Priefert latches on the headgate working good.

gscales123
Beginner
Beginner

Postby gscales123 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:06 pm

used my sioux steel chute today after cleaning up several sharp spots in it. think we have figured out how we hurt so many yearlings. the side gates are built to high and the pipes are very sharp where they end at the bottom. still doctoring 5 yearlings from a month ago use. will have to weld plates inside before any more use . one heifer broke a bone in her foot after sliding her foot under the pipe on the way out. anyone buying a sioux steel chute should really look at that before you start using it. bad deal

Isomade
GURU
GURU

Postby Isomade » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:46 pm

gscales123 wrote:used my sioux steel chute today after cleaning up several sharp spots in it. think we have figured out how we hurt so many yearlings. the side gates are built to high and the pipes are very sharp where they end at the bottom. still doctoring 5 yearlings from a month ago use. will have to weld plates inside before any more use . one heifer broke a bone in her foot after sliding her foot under the pipe on the way out. anyone buying a sioux steel chute should really look at that before you start using it. bad deal

Most useful post in 2 months. Thanks, hope you stick around.
The quickest way to lose money in the cattle business is to do it the way grandpa did it.....and the quickest way to lose everything in the cattle business it to forget the way grandpa did it. (Dad)

grubbie
Rancher
Rancher

Postby grubbie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:36 pm

+1 on the preifert with auto catch. I like to stand off to the side when I A.I., with the preifert I can drop the bars and put one of my legs out and stand to the side. Yeah,....could do that with others too, but I like all of the features of the S04 with auto catch. If you have ever hip-locked a cow in an auto catch, you will appreciate preiferts design. Also picked up a used preifert calf table, pretty happy with that as well.
I love PETA members...they taste like chicken.

Nite Hawk
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Nite Hawk » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:49 pm

We have an old WW that we paid $100 for, it was in the back of an old farm where the rancher had sold off all his cows and had no use for it. Rebuilt the floor and put rubber on it. Sanded the metal down and repainted everything, ended up costing about $300..
Needs a weld right now, think it got whacked by a tractor.Not bad price though, not much you can buy for a hundred bucks nowdays. Some of the levers could be placed better I think, but all in all not a bad squeeze..
Around here the favorite is the "Hi-Hog" brand.
Most are built bull sturdy and for one person use. They look pretty good to me..Not sure of the prices, think they are pretty steep heard about $5000 several years ago, but can't be sure on that though as that was years ago..

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:41 pm

After talking with the owner of Real-Tuff a few weeks ago, I learned the Sioux Steel buys their chutes from Real-Tuff and slaps their sticker on it.

So if you want to avoid a middle-man, talk to Dave Dahlberg at Real-Tuff.

As far as gscales123's issue with the chute, I know what he is talking about as far as construction, but have never had or heard of such an issue. I would chalk it up to flighty animals running into the chute too fast and an unclean, wet floor.
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

fbbf
Beginner
Beginner

Postby fbbf » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:55 pm

Sorry to revive an older thread but it seems to address the questions I have now. I have looked at several different websites for chutes. Some with a parallel axis squeeze or others with adjustable side panels. Due to budgets I am narrowing down on two. One is the Tartar Series 6, which has the manually adjustable sides, and then I found another website, Ackerman Distributing, and they have a Renegade chute which is a parallel axis squeeze. Does an one have any thoughts on either of these models, or possibly use them currently or have others to suggest in their comparable price ranges?

Runaway Deere
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Runaway Deere » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:36 am

Pretty impressed by the Ackerman renegade. We don't have one but it's super similar to a Pearson. Good for the money. We went big and just got an arrow farmquip 8500. It's a real deluxe unit, but priced accordingly

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:50 am

In most cases with squeeze chutes you get what you pay for. If a price is a lot lower for a basicly equivelent chute it isn;t tthe equivelent. May be made of lighter steel or be just a little narrower or shorter. Compare carefully!
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:58 pm

We have the Preifert SO4 w/auto head gate at the barn & works great for calves all the way up to our bulls although we rarely use the auto. It's a lot easier for me to use than our Titan West but the Titan has a palp cage, brisket bar (in case they go down) & both side panels swing open; we generally crowd 4 - 5 calves in the chute, give 'em their shots & open the door, which is a lot less stressful than running them through one at a time. Titan also custom made the portable corral to our specs - awesome customer service.

C-Ranch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby C-Ranch » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:18 am

fbbf wrote:Sorry to revive an older thread but it seems to address the questions I have now. I have looked at several different websites for chutes. Some with a parallel axis squeeze or others with adjustable side panels. Due to budgets I am narrowing down on two. One is the Tartar Series 6, which has the manually adjustable sides, and then I found another website, Ackerman Distributing, and they have a Renegade chute which is a parallel axis squeeze. Does an one have any thoughts on either of these models, or possibly use them currently or have others to suggest in their comparable price ranges?

I have a Tarter chute with auto-head catch and I hate it. In-fact we just tore the chute out and going to put something heavier back in before we preg this fall. The auto catch would not stay in time and was a pain to adjust for the different sized cattle. I will say if it weren't for the head catch system the rest of the chute isn't bad, but still not heavily built. I would look at something else if you want a chute that will last 20+ years.

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:39 am

I've been looking at the arrows online, but with the dollar the way it is now I'd have to stick to Canadian made to be worth while. Stampede steel, lakeland, silencer... any other canadian names to check out? The lakeland looks a lot like the arrow, But I haven't dug into them much yet.

Return to “Beginners Board”