Squeeze Chute recommendations?

The place to start if you are new!
highgrit
GURU
GURU

Re: Squeeze Chute recommendations?

Postby highgrit » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:10 am

If you can justify spending the money get the nicest rig you can afford. I get junk and make do with what I have. But growing up we had a lighter post buried deep and would just tie the cow off to that and start doctoring. Some animals made it and others didn't. But the better the working facilities the better the chance of survival for the animal, stress is bad for both man and beast.
" not all muslims are terrorist, but all the terrorist were muslim "

C-Ranch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby C-Ranch » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:09 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:I've been looking at the arrows online, but with the dollar the way it is now I'd have to stick to Canadian made to be worth while. Stampede steel, lakeland, silencer... any other canadian names to check out? The lakeland looks a lot like the arrow, But I haven't dug into them much yet.

I have seen the Arrow (Online Only) and looks like a heavy unit, but the closest dealer to me is in Montana. I'm going to call next week and get a quote. The Arrow looks a lot like the Sioux / Real Tuff chute and built strong, so I'm curious about price. I have 2 Sioux dealers and a Priefert close by and so far the prices quotes are; $4995 for the Priefert SC13 with an additional $399 for the Preg-Cage. Sioux is $5,719 (Auto Catch) and an extra $150 for the brisket bar. If you want Sioux's new manual catch system add $200. So far Priefert, is the least expensive of the two, but it is also the lightest which worries me a bit, but I sure like there head catch and squeeze lock boxes.

coachg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coachg » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:10 pm

Just bought the Priefert SO4 today. Did a lot of research and I think it best fits my needs and fit my budget. Need to work some calves and their mommas. Looking forward to using it and not worry about me or my cattle getting hurt in our old squeeze chute.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world...

C-Ranch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby C-Ranch » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:35 pm

coachg wrote:Just bought the Priefert SO4 today. Did a lot of research and I think it best fits my needs and fit my budget. Need to work some calves and their mommas. Looking forward to using it and not worry about me or my cattle getting hurt in our old squeeze chute.

Congrats on your new purchase.... :clap:

I would be interested in your feed back, especially on how you like the auto/manual head-gate and if the chute is sturdy enough especially when working with bulls.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:18 pm

I bought the S04 w/palp cage last year and have really enjoyed using it. I've yet to become good at setting the auto headcatch, tho.
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

coachg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coachg » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Worked our 5 spring calving first calf heifers and their babies. Last time we worked these girls we missed one twice because she jumped through the head catch before we could catch her. The new Priefert SO 4 worked great ! No drama ! Caught them, wormed them and did pour on fly control hopefully for the last time this season. Caught their calves, treated them, vaccinated the 2 heifer calves, and ear tagged the 4 we had missed. Then we worked two yearling heifers, since we really didn't have to work them we used the automatic head catch feature. It worked perfect ! Almost wished I had more to work ! I highly recommend the Priefert ! And no I'm not a Priefert salesman.

machslammer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby machslammer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:36 pm

Our auto head catch on the s04 stinks..can never get it to release when they put their head in there

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:19 am

Well wouldn't you know - this showed up in a buddies yard yesterday. Identical to the arrow.
http://s29.postimg.org/myf0bqa4n/20150911_095405.jpg

C-Ranch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby C-Ranch » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:34 pm

I have finally been able to look at an Arrow, Sioux, and Priefert chutes and gather prices. Both Arrow and Sioux are the heaviest chutes and seem be heavily well. The Arrow without the fancy head holder unit weights 1900lbs (according to salesman) the Sioux with rumble floor and manual head catch weights a little over 2100 lbs. I really like like the Arrows head holder, but it is an add on feature.
Here are the prices;
Arrow Model 8500 - $7,555.76 and the Arrow Model 8400 -$6,995.00 The fancy head holder unit was an additional $499.00 and the brisket bar was $250.00
Sioux Steel - Auto head catch $5712.09 , Manual head catch $5911.21 both chutes included the rumble floor system. Brisket bar was another $175.00
Both chutes had there good and bad at least for me, but I liked the slick rear closing gate of the Sioux over the Arrows rear rolling gate.
The IFA store down the road I stopped at had a Priefert S04 for $3,995 and a HC13 for $4995.00 (heaviest manual chute). To add the preg cage it would be an additional $499.00, but the chute didn't seem heavy enough to me to stand up to 2000 lb bulls compared to the other two brands. However, I really like Priefert's head manual/auto catch system over all the ones I have seen. If Sioux or arrow would put that on their chutes they would have a perfect 10 in my opinion, but that's just me as I know others out there hate Priefert and vice-a-versa.

Bottom line for me, I'm going to purchase the Sioux Steel. I just can't see how the Arrow is worth the additional $$$ for a few added features that I may or may not use. I need something heavy duty to take a pounding until long after I'm gone and I think the Sioux fits the bill. If money was no option then I would go for a Silencer chute, but I have to many other things the ranch needs before that happens.

TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:06 pm

I'm a big fan of Sioux Steel products. Hope it works out for you.
Wake me when we reach Scranton.

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:20 pm

Arrow 8500 is 7395 up here, but they want 950 for the head holder - which seems a bit much. If it were 500 I'd be inclined to add it.

Was also told its 2000+ lbs, and its def solid feeling to operate.

coachg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coachg » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:34 pm

Sounds like you are buying the best chute for you, congratulations and hope it works great for you ! coachg

nathan arizona
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby nathan arizona » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:48 am

I'm looking for a squeeze chute as well. In my budget range here's what I've seen close to me. Tarter has 2 a series 3 and a series 6. Lowest price on 3 is 1560, lowest on 6 is 2350. I'm never going to have more than 25 cows, so I'd be tempted to go cheap, but Tarter's statement that the series 3 is not recommended for cows over 1100 pounds scares me. Not sure that's a physical limitation or just a statement of how heavy duty the chute is. Then there's a Priefert S01 for 2650. No one says anything bad about them. Then Tractor Supply has a unit for 1999 - It's been sitting there for months and I think I might could negotiate with them on it. It looks similar to the Tarter. Does anyone have any experience with it or know if Tarter makes it? Thanks for any help

Runaway Deere
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Runaway Deere » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:06 am

When the wife works an arrow 8500 for the AI tech, on a natural heat, smiling the whole time.
PRICELESS

C-Ranch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby C-Ranch » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:37 pm

nathan arizona wrote:I'm looking for a squeeze chute as well. In my budget range here's what I've seen close to me. Tarter has 2 a series 3 and a series 6. Lowest price on 3 is 1560, lowest on 6 is 2350. I'm never going to have more than 25 cows, so I'd be tempted to go cheap, but Tarter's statement that the series 3 is not recommended for cows over 1100 pounds scares me. Not sure that's a physical limitation or just a statement of how heavy duty the chute is. Then there's a Priefert S01 for 2650. No one says anything bad about them. Then Tractor Supply has a unit for 1999 - It's been sitting there for months and I think I might could negotiate with them on it. It looks similar to the Tarter. Does anyone have any experience with it or know if Tarter makes it? Thanks for any help

Save your money and don't buy a Tarter chute.

This year I tore out and sold a tarter chute which was about 2 years old and before they switched to calling their chutes "Cattle Master" (at least that I'm aware of). At the time, it was suppose to be their best and heaviest chute, but after only two seasons of Preg checking 100 cows and Tric testing the bulls, the chute was junk. It had the auto head catch which missed more than it caught and was hard to reset, in the end you could barely get it to open properly. After the first use it was deemed to light so we cemented and anchored it to the ground which helped it from moving all around, but the chute would actually flex when a cow (1200 lbs) came through and the bulls, well can imagine what it did. The Vet highly suggested I get something different if I wanted him to ever come back..Ha Ha Ha.....And for the record the majority of my herd is pretty easy going.

In the end, I did some research and just recently ordered a Sioux Chute. Its' heavy duty, the preg cage is attached and looks like it will hold up to a good bull or 1200lb cow. I guess time will tell soon enough.

If your only going to run 25 cows through your chute a few times a year then I would spend the extra money and get the Priefert. They are a good chute and a lot of cattlemen like them, they are a little light for me, but certainly better than Tarter (IMO).

Good Luck on whatever you decide.

Return to “Beginners Board”