cows calving -- for newbies -- pictures

The place to start if you are new!
CCFARMS
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: cows calving -- for newbies -- pictures

Postby CCFARMS » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:59 pm

If only i would have found this board a few days ago. Actually watched my first cow calf. It was a good learning experience but i had no clue.

Lone Elm
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Lone Elm » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:56 am

What great pictures! What kind of camera do you have? I'm taking mine with me every time I check my cows from now on! :D

snickers
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby snickers » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:29 pm

we've had several different presentations with calving and it's just awlful anywhich way it happens. we had a heifer with one foot and head no progress called the vet on that one. we've had'em backwards and each and everytime is a learning experience. I did buy my husband a calf puller for fathers day one year.

Dr. Lee
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Dr. Lee » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:19 am

Hi milkmaid

Can I use one of your pictures for an article in the Georgia Cattlemen's magazine?

Dr. Lee

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:30 am

Dr. Lee wrote:Hi milkmaid

Can I use one of your pictures for an article in the Georgia Cattlemen's magazine?

Dr. Lee

Oh oh, Milkmaid could be famous, does she need to get a bigger hat? :lol2: :lol2: .

Dr. Lee, you may have better luck getting a response from her by sending her a "private message", if you haven't already. This is a pretty old posting that never moves from the top..... She's posted some great and very helpful stuff that is now a permanent fixture on CT.

Alan
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Have been through this, but this is a very good set of pics for those who haven't. Always nice to see toes first, nose next! Thx!
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:58 pm

I know cows aren't goats, and goats aren't cows. But they are similar 4-leggeds when it comes to birthing. Years ago, I friend of mine published in MEMO, the Nat'l Pygmy Goat Assoc. magazine, a great article, fully illustrated, showing just about every possible presentation you might find in a delivery -- how to tell front feet from back feet, multiple birth presentations, etc., and how to manuever that baby around to deliver it. I'm trying to get permission to get that and post it here. We are close to good cattle vets -- not everyone is, or can afford to call out the vet with a malpresentation. It will probably be in PDF format, so I may need some assistance figuring out how to download it, once I get it.

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Thx, Dun. Will get it to you, to post here, as soon as I can. K

FarmerShell
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby FarmerShell » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:38 pm

OH MY excuse me weak stomach! I about threw up! WOW! OK do you really gota put your hand up there! YUCk! Excuse me throwing up! Can the mama cow handle it on her owe or will she need help? Should I call 911! OH MY!

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Shell, that will be a judgment call, when you have to make it. Labor/delivery -- I think these pics were pretty normal and showed you how it happens, in the sequence it happens. And the time-frame isn't long -- within a hour or less. So, learn from the pics. :)

FarmerShell
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby FarmerShell » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:08 pm

Thanks Kathie, I think your right, but that doesn't mean I ain't gunna throw up! LOL!

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:38 pm

FarmerShell wrote:Thanks Kathie, I think your right, but that doesn't mean I ain't gunna throw up! LOL!

Once you witness it in person ,especially if it is your cow calving, you will not throw up . This is what divides the women from the incompetent girly girls . Which one are you going to be ,remember there are lives at stake . :tiphat:

I have a feeling that MM will be published many times to come ,but it will be DMV Milkmaid . :D
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:41 pm

Shell, looks your cattle are still calves now, so unless you get mature stock, you've got a couple years before you get to this point. But, maybe you could check around so see if there are any big dairy operations in your area (dairies have cows calving year-round), see if they'd let you come out to watch some calvings so you can see what happens -- and there'd probably be of their hands nearby to answer any questions you might have. (You may have to supply your own barf bag.)

FarmerShell
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby FarmerShell » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:11 am

That is a good ideal. :) There is a big o' registered angus farm down the road from us, maybe I'll go see that farmer man and see if I can watch his cows give birth. I heard he was a big o' farmer man doe without any teef. Maybe if he is mean I'll whip his o' farmer man butt and straight him out! That is what my parent did when I was bad, mean, sassy, ect. I am not talking to lil "spankings" as in pat on the tail either. I am talking BIG WOODEN PADDLE or REAL leather belt! :tiphat:

mybubba
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mybubba » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:21 am

as a newbie to the cattle world (i have a 5mth old heifer i have bottle raised) i was delighted with the pictures. our landlady has nearly 50 head of cattle on our property and not once have i got to see a bubba being born. the mummas seem to sneak them out during the night or down in the trees during the day where i cant see :( anyway thanks again for posting the pictures :)

Return to “Beginners Board”