Growing corn for feed

The place to start if you are new!
rustybottoms88
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Growing corn for feed

Postby rustybottoms88 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 am

HDRider wrote:My brother is doing it. He bought an old, but good corn picker, and an old grinder, up in Wisconsin I think. It picks cob and all. He grinds it and feeds it. He put in a well and pivot system. Set up a grain bin. He grazes the stubble. Works great.

Thats pretty neat. Thanks for sharing. How does he like that picker?
0 x
"It is better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 am

Screw growing corn for feed, when I can buy 16% pellets with 5% fat for $142 a ton. And I'll only have about 6 hours of time invested in it. My way of thinking is a ton of pellets is about equal to growing 50 - 60 bushel to acre of corn, without any risk or tractor time. Growing your own corn for stockers makes good sense, but to supplement fair hay doesn't pencil out for the cow calf operation.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:24 am

RB, He likes the picker.

TGF, He is finishing steers with it. He made 700 bushel on five acres and that is dry land corn.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:09 am

HDRider wrote:RB, He likes the picker.

TGF, He is finishing steers with it. He made 700 bushel on five acres and that is dry land corn.

I've never made a 100 bu corn to the acre. And the one year that I came close the next year I made nothing. I need to find a cheap protein supplement for 8% hay, and I'm not feeding chicken crap.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:42 am

That is by volume, and remember that has the cob in it.
0 x
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:51 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Screw growing corn for feed, when I can buy 16% pellets with 5% fat for $142 a ton. And I'll only have about 6 hours of time invested in it. My way of thinking is a ton of pellets is about equal to growing 50 - 60 bushel to acre of corn, without any risk or tractor time. Growing your own corn for stockers makes good sense, but to supplement fair hay doesn't pencil out for the cow calf operation.

Wow, never heard of prices like that since the 90's. Would like to see an analysis on that feed. Fat alone would cost almost $40 and most of the remainder would be filler with enough urea and plant protein to bring it up to 16%. The hay might be better than the feed.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:31 pm

TexasBred wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Screw growing corn for feed, when I can buy 16% pellets with 5% fat for $142 a ton. And I'll only have about 6 hours of time invested in it. My way of thinking is a ton of pellets is about equal to growing 50 - 60 bushel to acre of corn, without any risk or tractor time. Growing your own corn for stockers makes good sense, but to supplement fair hay doesn't pencil out for the cow calf operation.

Wow, never heard of prices like that since the 90's. Would like to see an analysis on that feed. Fat alone would cost almost $40 and most of the remainder would be filler with enough urea and plant protein to bring it up to 16%. The hay might be better than the feed.

I thought M5 sent you an analysis break down for your opinion on the quality of the feed? Supposedly it's corn, peanut and soybean byproducts made into a commodity pellet.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:32 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

I thought M5 sent you an analysis break down for your opinion on the quality of the feed? Supposedly it's corn, peanut and soybean byproducts made into a commodity pellet.

Grit you folks must have a totally different market than over this way. Heck I don't know one single ingredient that would go into a feed that would cost that little other than something like rice hulls or peanut hulls and even they are $50 a ton delivered. Every other ingredient is $130 a ton and up. Cottonseed meal more like $265 a ton.
0 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:49 am

Hi Grit, where do you get your feed pellets? Much interested...

Thanks,

Tim
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:40 am

Another strategy... planting corn for summer grazing...I don't know how this would compare to the sudan/sudex hybrids, but the following was proposed to me about 10 years back by a retired UofKY Extension agent who worked extensively with producers doing management-intensive grazing.

"Consider drilling in corn (2 bushels of bin-run corn/acre with approx 70 actual units of N/acre) for summer grazing (we can plant corn in late Apr/early May and in 80-90 days have the corn ready for grazing - 160,000 plant population/acre will give you tremendous carrying capacity). "
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:55 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:

Hi Grit, where do you get your feed pellets? Much interested...

Thanks,

Tim

AFG Feed , 717 w Crawford st , donalsonville GA. 39845 229-524-1348
1 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:24 am

Lucky_P wrote:Another strategy... planting corn for summer grazing...I don't know how this would compare to the sudan/sudex hybrids, but the following was proposed to me about 10 years back by a retired UofKY Extension agent who worked extensively with producers doing management-intensive grazing.

"Consider drilling in corn (2 bushels of bin-run corn/acre with approx 70 actual units of N/acre) for summer grazing (we can plant corn in late Apr/early May and in 80-90 days have the corn ready for grazing - 160,000 plant population/acre will give you tremendous carrying capacity). "

Lucky, I believe I have seen him give presentations on this strategy on youtube.

Tim
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:10 pm

TexasBred wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Wow, never heard of prices like that since the 90's. Would like to see an analysis on that feed. Fat alone would cost almost $40 and most of the remainder would be filler with enough urea and plant protein to bring it up to 16%. The hay might be better than the feed.

Grit you folks must have a totally different market than over this way. Heck I don't know one single ingredient that would go into a feed that would cost that little other than something like rice hulls or peanut hulls and even they are $50 a ton delivered. Every other ingredient is $130 a ton and up. Cottonseed meal more like $265 a ton.

I'd pay a between $185 (non pellet) to $235 (pellet) for it here.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:26 pm

HDRider wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I thought M5 sent you an analysis break down for your opinion on the quality of the feed? Supposedly it's corn, peanut and soybean byproducts made into a commodity pellet.

I'd pay a between $185 (non pellet) to $235 (pellet) for it here.

I just formulate one for the heck of it....16/5 with an extremely low TDN of 55%....ingredient cost alone for this area was $165 a ton. Nothing added for milling, pelleting, bagging or profit. I think I'm living in the wrong part of the country. lol
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:29 pm

TB, it is hard to know what I am really getting. People have been known to lie.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”