bait casting reels

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

bait casting reels

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:36 pm

is there anyone else in here that cant use them? i opt for spinning reels as my preference. if i had to fish to keep my family alive with one we would starve everytime I flip it out i get a huge birdnest. :lol:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: bait casting reels

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:45 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:is there anyone else in here that cant use them? i opt for spinning reels as my preference. if i had to fish to keep my family alive with one we would starve everytime I flip it out i get a huge birdnest. :lol:

I haven't used anything but baitcast since I was a kid.
You get a bull red on that spinning reel they will burn it up.
One my all time favorite's until it got stole was a 5000D.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:54 pm

I have had cheap ones to expensive reels same outcome birdnests each time. I only use a bait caster when fishing for cats and all i do is just let it hang off the boat and let it roll till it hits the bottom. When I fish my pond me and wife use spinning rods I recently showed her how to use spinning rods and she loves them now only the kids use the push button reels.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

denvermartinfarms
GURU
GURU

Postby denvermartinfarms » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:01 pm

Shimano chronarch is the best casting reel ever made, my dad has had his first one for 21 years and it has been reworked but still going, that reel has made alot of money in the last 21 years.
0 x
This world is not my home i'm just passing through

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:04 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:I have had cheap ones to expensive reels same outcome birdnests each time. I only use a bait caster when fishing for cats and all i do is just let it hang off the boat and let it roll till it hits the bottom. When I fish my pond me and wife use spinning rods I recently showed her how to use spinning rods and she loves them now only the kids use the push button reels.

I don't own anything but baitcasting reel's. It is not the reel that is malfunctioning.
I fished a many tournament on Galveston Bay in my younger day's.
I will say the last one I bought last year was 250.00 it was an Okuma Cedros.
Still fish with Shimano Mag 10's I have no clue how many trout they have caught.
The Mag 10 was the toughest reel I ever used in salt water.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Bare in mind I hven't fished for a few years, but I use to do a lot of fishing, trout, steelhead and salmon ... Kind of a northwest thing. I love a bait casting reel, the key is the setting. You need to put on your average total weight, lure, bait, weights ect. What ever you use the most common. With the desired weight on it it should free reel (free fall off the reel) about 5 or 6 feet a second. I usually did this in my living room. Then the most important thing is to learn to have controlled cast, you can't just sling it like you can a spinning reel, it has to be controlled and deliberate, don't try to over cast it. As you get use to it learn to use your thumb to help control how fast the line comes off the reel and your thumb makes for a great brake for the reel on those "oh cr@p" cast. Another thing is new line just put on the reel seemes to always cause a rats nest faster until it gets broke in and lays on the reel better.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:13 pm

I like em but admit I probably haven't "broke in" the line on any of em! Lol. I can promise you they have led to the purchase of countless spinning reals . ;)
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:16 pm

I honestly fish less now during the courting of my wife we fished alot but not lately its just her and the kids all my lines need to be restrung on my reels and they are dusty. We were talking about having my whole family come here for a picnic and fish for 4th of july or september so now that got me thinking about the bait casters.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:19 pm

Alan great explanation all my bait casters had new string on it and i never knew the proper technique
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:57 am

skyhightree1 wrote:I honestly fish less now during the courting of my wife we fished alot but not lately its just her and the kids all my lines need to be restrung on my reels and they are dusty. We were talking about having my whole family come here for a picnic and fish for 4th of july or september so now that got me thinking about the bait casters.

I would offer nothing but spin casters to a bunch if novice fisher "people". That is twice as critical for kids.

Using bait casting reels is a bit of an art form requiring a degree of finesse and a light touch of your thumb on the line as you cast it out. I like spinning reels and bait caster but given a choice I'd pick my old Shimano bait caster every time.

If I remember correctly Roland Martin fishes with spinning reels. He ain't too shabby.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:15 am

Ambassador 5500 is what I graduated to after a zebco 33 when I was about 10yrs old. It take practice .
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:02 am

They do take practice at first to master the technique. But it's like learning to ride a bike once you have it it's there and seems easy. And like a bike I imagine if I starting bait casting again I would be wobbly at first but pick it back up pretty fast.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:31 am

[quote="TennesseeTuxedo"]Using bait casting reels is a bit of an art form requiring a degree of finesse and a light touch of your thumb on the line as you cast it out. quote]

I guess im not an artist and do not have this art form in my blood lol
0 x

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:36 am

Got 4 or 5 of Dad's old Ambassador's. They work just fine for me so I've never bought a newer model. Don't fish much though anymore.
0 x
J & D Cattle

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:06 am

skyhightree1 wrote:is there anyone else in here that cant use them? i opt for spinning reels as my preference. if i had to fish to keep my family alive with one we would starve everytime I flip it out i get a huge birdnest. :lol:

Turn it sideways as you make your cast (the road and reel). Use to bass fish a lot and never used anything but the Shimano rods and reels. Loved them....still have them but haven't fished in a long time.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”