bait casting reels

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: bait casting reels

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:11 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Seadrift is a great place to catch a lot of fish just not a lot of big fish.
Get you a 7 inch redfin chrome with a blue back the solid one not the jointed one.
You won't have anything under 24 " go after it. Find you a good flat with some deep water close and ease in and have a good time. It has to be secluded and quite can't have a bunch of yahoo's running around.

Im spoiled there because its right at an hour. There is a great little ramp that is super shallow and has quite a few obstacles to get out of so most of the weekend warriors dodge it. We know the bay pretty well. Even on a bad day we can hit enough spots drag some thing in.

To go dragging the boat several hours away, to stuff I don't know, for a few more inches doesn't peak my interest. :) Im very much a creature of habbit.

My buddies went to Corpus a couple of weekends ago... I had to work... ended up with a 25" and 26" trout... Real nice... back to back. Im sure they will be on me hard about getting down there more.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Edward Ronald
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Edward Ronald » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:18 am

I have used Shimano chronarch reels which are best and affordable. I am satisfied and recommends to use Shimano chronarch reels only.
0 x

denvermartinfarms
GURU
GURU

Postby denvermartinfarms » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:07 am

Edward Ronald wrote:I have used Shimano chronarch reels which are best and affordable. I am satisfied and recommends to use Shimano chronarch reels only.

That's what I said on the first page, but in the last year or 2. They have cut the quality a little and I don't believe they are what they used to be. The new reels we buy now and will replace all the chronarchs with are lews reels, there not any cheaper but they seem to have about the best quality of anything we can find. The other thing I have noticed is not hardly anyone here does the same kind of fishing I do.
0 x
This world is not my home i'm just passing through

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:01 pm

What kind of fishing do you do?
0 x

denvermartinfarms
GURU
GURU

Postby denvermartinfarms » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:09 pm

Brute 23 wrote:What kind of fishing do you do?

Well it's all fresh water, it makes sence with others locations I just never thought that much about it. I have grown up with fishing being a huge part of my life, my dad would go 6 days a week if he could. Bass, crappie, and walleye is our main 3. Dad has been a fishing guide off and on for 15 years. I was out in the boat with him and mom at 2 months old, and started fishing bass tournaments with him at 11.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:44 am

Nice... that is a lot of fun. I always enjoyed Crappie fishing. We would use those little poles and jig next to stumps or with lights at night. Its funny how often you would hook on to a catfish or some thing else. It was on then. :)

What does a Walleye fight like?
0 x

denvermartinfarms
GURU
GURU

Postby denvermartinfarms » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:07 am

Brute 23 wrote:Nice... that is a lot of fun. I always enjoyed Crappie fishing. We would use those little poles and jig next to stumps or with lights at night. Its funny how often you would hook on to a catfish or some thing else. It was on then. :)

Crappie fishing tied up to trees at night is a lot of fun. To me a walleye don't fight much different than a bass of the same size. But they bite a little different.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:01 am

That's cool. I love how every fish fights and bites different. :D
0 x

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby JSCATTLE » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:12 am

I fish about 3 days a week now . I prefer curado 50E s but you have to buy them second hand now . Lately I've been fishing with the academy brand reels h2o mettle. I bought 5 of them at Christmas for 29 a piece . They cast just as far as my super tuned curado s . And when they wear out I put them in the trash . I caught over 250 specks from first week of April until last week . On one reel . It has started to back reel a little bit so I changed it out . I usually only flounder fish but I'm trying to win my sons a free ride to college through the cca tournament . My 5 year old caught a 27.5 inch speck a week before the tournament started all by himself . I've been fishing with bait casters since I was 6 years old . I started with Abu Garcia 5000 . I still use 6500s for red fishing .
0 x
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:43 pm

Shimano Bantam Mag that is a couple decades old is my favorite.
You don't have to disassemble it to change the anti-backlash magnetic brake--just turn the knob.

I have a Pinnacle Pro that I've used since 2004, but not crazy about it if fishing in any wind at all.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

williamg
Beginner
Beginner

Postby williamg » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:55 am

Hi!

Huge bird-nest!! :lol: :lol:

The spinning reel is a straight forward mechanism compared to the new bait casting reels. To understand a casting rod, take all that you know about spinning rods, and flip it. For beginners, knowing the difference between casting and spinning rods is especially important.

Unlike the spinning rod, when a fish pulls the line of a casting rod, the rod is bent over and the eyelets face upwards. Novice anglers may find this confusing or even unnatural, but the truth of the matter is that casting rods use eyelets in a more effective way.

Not only do you want to avoid mix ups with rods and reels, but you want to know the difference between fishing rods made for spinning reels and those made for bait casting reels.

I hope, next time you are gonna catch a big fish instead of bird-nest with a bait caster. :)
0 x

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:58 am

Brute 23 wrote:Nice... that is a lot of fun. I always enjoyed Crappie fishing. We would use those little poles and jig next to stumps or with lights at night. Its funny how often you would hook on to a catfish or some thing else. It was on then. :)

Like a chunk of drift wood until you get them in the boat. Then they go ballistic and slice up your fingers with their gill plates.

If they didn't taste so good, I probably wouldn't even mess with the toothy buggers.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:16 am

I've never been able to cast a bait casting real with my left hand accurately.
Just not coordinated enough I guess, or to right handed.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:09 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I've never been able to cast a bait casting real with my left hand accurately.
Just not coordinated enough I guess, or to right handed.

I don't think many people do, it's very common to cast with your right and then switch hands to reel.

That seems counterintuitive to me, so the only baitcaster I own is a lefty.
1 x

williamg
Beginner
Beginner

Postby williamg » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:01 am

These reels have a set spool beneath the rod, and line is drawn out by the burden of the lure, bait, or tackle. edges of a Spinning Reel. All around skillfulness is that the biggest reason individuals opt for spinning reels. they will be wont to forged many various sorts of tackle, together with artificial lures and live bait.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”